-
AuthorContent
LIGladLover
Brentwood, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5069073

I just unpacked an order of daylilies that I received only to find them crawling with these tiny little light green/chartreuse colored bugs. Some of the larger ones have developed wings. The directions in the box had said to soak them before planting - I assumed because the plants would be dried out but after finding all these little bugs I immediately submerged all of the plants in a bucket of water and sealed it closed to prevent escapees. I didn't think to take any pictures first, too concerned with possibly unleashing a plague on my garden. Any idea what the bugs might be? Will drowning them in water work? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
DBartholow
Mechanicsville, MD

June 14, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5102511

They sound like aphids. They come in many colors, green being predominant. Drowning does not usually kill them. You can use an insecticidal soap. They will spread to other plants if planted near them. Ants tens aphids like cows for the honeydew they rpoduce and will protect them at all costs. I kill aphids regualrly to also help keep the ants down which come in my house in the summer.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America