Photo by Melody

Article: Exotic food, guess what?: And to think...

Communities > Forums > Article: Exotic food, guess what?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Exotic food, guess what?Replies: 12, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
2:47 PM

Post #5071647

I just knocked down a little wasp nest from the front door and tossed it without giving a thought to the potential culinary delights within!

;-)

Thanks for an interesting article!
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
2:57 PM

Post #5071698

I have a nest here if you are that disappointed Jill :))

So Jean-Jacques, do they have a taste all their own or take on the garlic flavor?

-Kim
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2008
3:21 PM

Post #5071774

not the same, but I had roasted cicadas in the orient and despite all the fancy spices, they tasted rather flavorless, just like if you were eating a piece of paper. I ate them fast, before my brain had a chance to realize what I was eating, lol.

I can honestly and w/o hesitation say I will not get a craving for this delicacy any time soon.

My opinion set aside, very interesting article, J-J
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5071855

Thanks, Kim, but I'll wait on a report from you... ;-)

Vossner, I'm with you on the cicadas... texture was unappealing. The next time there was a big cicada "event" I didn't line up at the tasting table. Some things, you only need to try once (or not at all, if you're not of an adventurous bent). LOL
bluekat76
Ijamsville, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
4:18 PM

Post #5071949

LOL Jill! Good one. Can I borrow your tweezers? Care to come over for pot luck dinner?...

Cicada's?!? not happening.

I did eat chocolate covert ants but I don't think that counts - chocolate and no visual to overcome disqualify that delicacy. On the other hand I am very fond of snails - escargot - again with the garlic overtones. I also eat steak tartar, beef carpaccio, rabbit, sashimi and ceviche which may turn up a lot of noses but more for me!

Eating insects for a lot of countries is all about getting protein into their diets. Goodness knows there is plenty of availability with insects!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5072122

Jean-Jacques, how did I know this would be about larves? (Groan.) Thank you for another fascinating article!

Carrie
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5072880

In Thailand, insects are a popular part of the local diet. They are also very nutritious. I couldn't get my nerve up to try most of them, but I did have some fried silkworms. They were like very light french fries. Not bad.
In the local market great big water bugs are popular -- also other kinds of insects. I think you had best start out eating insects as a child if you are going to eat them as an adult.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
8:34 PM

Post #5072921

I unintentionally ate any number of insects as a child, especially gnats... there was no avoiding them as they swarmed around your face in summer! As I recall, they taste sour... LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2008
8:44 PM

Post #5072991

Well, yes, unintentional exotic insect intake is a whole different ball of wax, isn't it!
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2008
9:28 PM

Post #5073206

There is a very sad story about some very poor people in India who got flower with weevils and other yucky things in it because that was all they could afford. A group of aid workers decided to get them flour without the bugs -- I don't know if they sifted it or bought other flour, but the year with the good flour, these people suffered more nutritional problems than they had with the bad flour. Sadly, insects do provide needed nourishment sometimes.
The other thing they do with insects in Thailand is make purses and sculptures with the iridescent wings and bodies of beetles and who knows what other kind of insects. I saw these in the Queen's Museum in Bangkok. They are magnificently iridescent blue, green and purple, but so expensive only the very most wealthy can afford them.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2008
9:36 PM

Post #5073231

Reminds me of the stories you hear about countries like India (?) getting powdered milk as aid from richer countries. Cow milk is not used for food in these countries, the story goes, and the population was for the most part lactose-intolerant. But it may be one of those urban legends one hears.
pajaritomt
Los Alamos, NM
(Zone 5a)

June 8, 2008
9:46 PM

Post #5073270

Hard to verify the authenticity, but the US does send food aid that doesn't make any sense for the population some times.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 9, 2008
4:14 AM

Post #5074911

Never tasted cicadas myself but those wasp larva have a taste of their own, sort of hazelnut, the real connoisseurs enjoy them directly popped out of the net so the garlic would not alter the taste but I have tried it this way so far!
JJ

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Exotic food, guess what? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Oh. No! gloria125 20 Dec 18, 2012 5:50 AM
LoL phicks 1 Dec 11, 2012 3:11 AM
Morinda Citrifolia LADYDAYGLASS 1 Jun 14, 2008 4:24 AM
BIZARRE FOODS Noturf 0 Nov 13, 2012 2:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America