Photo by Melody

Article: Exotic food, guess what?: Oh. No!

Communities > Forums > Article: Exotic food, guess what?
bookmark
Forum: Article: Exotic food, guess what?Replies: 20, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

June 8, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5072202

Well. I loved the article, but I am glad I am a vegetarian!

thank you for the cultural lesson, Jean-Jacques!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 9, 2008
4:18 AM

Post #5074926

I have to tell you that I hesitated a while before publishing this one by fear of shocking some readers and of course for vegetarians it is a rather salvage thing, now if you consider that those wasps are very carnivorous themselves it may be logical karmic thing that they would be eaten by a bigger carnivorous (which means I must be ready to get eaten by an ever bigger one!;))
JJ
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

June 9, 2008
11:20 AM

Post #5075556

Lets hope there are not people-eating carnivores in your part of the world! its hard enough living in a world of pollution, crooks, and thieves!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 10, 2008
9:45 AM

Post #5081244

We have our part of pollution, crooks and thieves here but luckily the only man-eating beasts are only found in the ocean...
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

June 10, 2008
11:41 AM

Post #5081441

Good reason to stay out of the Ocean, JJacques!

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 10, 2008
12:59 PM

Post #5081720

And another good reason to climb trees!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

June 10, 2008
1:18 PM

Post #5081817

Especially if one of those creatures comes out of the ocean and decides to chase you! They always do that in the sci fi movies!

Do you have the man eating sharks around Reunion?

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

June 10, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5082640

I stopped watching such movies so should be safe up trees...
Yes we have shark who enjoy a bit of a surfer every once in a while, they are not very big so they usually are happy with a leg or an arm but I had to choose between surfing and climbing...More seriously there are attacks but very rare and so far deadly only on subwater fishers, I usually swim in the lagoon which is safe.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

June 10, 2008
5:28 PM

Post #5083045

Sounds like life on an island paradise!
taehwiniM
St-Jean Baptiste
Canada

November 12, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9331038

Let's put it this way, Here we don't eat insects but we do eat lobster and crab don't we ? They are all arthropodes... I'm not disgusted by insects, I've eaten some at The Insectarium in Montreal and I must say it was a good experience. According to scientists, we fin what an animal is eating by watching their teeth and the dentition of a human is one of omnivorous animal. Beeing vegeterian is not really good for your health you, will eventually have a lack of animal protein unless you drink milk or eat cheese.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

November 17, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #9335274

Men are omnivorous indeed, a great chance to taste any available food!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 10, 2012
6:37 AM

Post #9354471

I recently discussed with an anthropologist working with neo-hunter-gathers in Australia what he thought of the paleo-diet which is a fad here now. He said what people don't grasp is that hunter-gathers ate everything they could get their hands on. In other words modern civilization is flawed in that we only eat what we find in the aisles of the grocery store and at the local MacDonalds. Very limited indeed, compared to the evolutionary heritage of our stomachs!

Actually, St Jean Baptiste I am very healthy after more than 40 years as a vegetarian. There is lots of healthy protein in nuts, seeds, and beans.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

December 11, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #9355306

We are lucky enough nowadays to have an amazing choice of food, let us not spoil it but appreciate it, bon appétit!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 13, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9357098

No one can argue with a French man on that topic! Happy holiday season, Jean-Jacques.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

December 13, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9357746

Indeed, food and cooking are probably the number one religion in France...Happy celebrations to you too Gloria!
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 14, 2012
10:02 AM

Post #9358101

I am reading this book: Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love, and the Search for Home by Kim Sunee. Its about a Korean adoptee who wound up in Paris via New Orleans, USA. She gives recipes at the end of every chapter--and describes in detail Paris restaurants where she ate. I was reminded of how important food is to the French. Also, I recently found one of my own ancestors--Jean-Claude Hulett who immigrated to the US from France in the 1700s. So I guess that makes me French, also.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

December 14, 2012
11:48 PM

Post #9358685

Well well, interesting readings here! And yes your French ancestor explains your interest for food, probably a genetic trait;))
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 15, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9358938

We don't know where Jean-Claude came from in France, but he must have been an adventurer like your self. he came from France to Quebec and wound up in upper NY state at a French settlement in the 1700s. There was a party traveling west. The only document describes this party traveling by wagon through girdled trees prepared by the government to clear a road. Many of the party were killed as the trees fell on their wagons. Jean-Claude saved the day, by finding a route for the wagons around the girdled trees.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

December 15, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9359567

Vive Jean-Claude! This was the real adventure, wish I was born a few centuries ago sometimes...
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

December 16, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9359770

Im glad not! then we couldn't hear about your real adventures in the present day! Sometimes I wish I could be there to climb one of those trees with you. So great to hear about what you see from that vantage point.

jjacques

jjacques
LE TAMPON
Reunion (French)

December 18, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9361267

I had quite anice view this morning as I climbed this huge coconut-tree probably 18m high, but the job was to fell it so I gradually climbed back down chain-sawing section after section all the way down...sad job but it had to be done, pays well and I ended bringing home a good chunk of the cabbage, une piéce de choix! Ever tasted this delicacy?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Exotic food, guess what? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
And to think... critterologist 12 Jun 9, 2008 4:14 AM
LoL phicks 1 Dec 11, 2012 3:11 AM
Morinda Citrifolia LADYDAYGLASS 1 Jun 14, 2008 4:24 AM
BIZARRE FOODS Noturf 0 Nov 13, 2012 2:15 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America