Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Prairie Restoration: The Prairie Garden: Everybody should plant Natives

Communities > Forums > Article: Prairie Restoration: The Prairie Garden
bookmark
Forum: Article: Prairie Restoration: The Prairie GardenReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
amaranthus23
Reading, MA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2008
6:00 PM

Post #5072314

Planting native species makes sense on so many levels~
1. They are SO EASY to grow~they belong there, so all you have to do is plant, sit back, & enjoy the show! (just check that they aren't potentially invasive weeds, such as Purple Loosestrife here in New England~technically a transplant from Europe)
2. They're easy on the environment because they require little, if any, watering; again due to their nativity to your area.
3. They give back to the environment, both through their decay into the soil, and...
4. Natural attractiveness to birds, bees & butterflies & other positive insect-life.
It's a no~brainer! Plant what is indigenous to your area, and know that you will be leaving the world a better place for your having been here.

Thumbnail by amaranthus23
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

June 1, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9147272

I agree! And if you can't "go native" completely, at least keep in mind the needs of the plants in your area. Plant drought resistant near-natives in areas prone to drought. In my area, that means purple cone flower, butterfly weed, coreopsis (tick seed), blanket flower, and a host of other forbs whose relatives grow in undisturbed areas surrounding the city.

FlyPoison

FlyPoison
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7a)

June 1, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9147496

"4. Natural attractiveness to birds, bees & butterflies & other positive insect-life.
It's a no~brainer! Plant what is indigenous to your area, and know that you will be leaving the world a better place for your having been here."

It certainly is and I dearly wish more people would embrace this philosophy. I also hope that more big box stores begin to sell more natives going forward. I was very surprised and happy to actually see a true native azalea for sale at Lowes recently, so there's certainly hope. More small nurseries fortunately do provide almost any native you could want if you do your research. I purchase from about 5-6 on an annual basis when purchasing my natives.

The amount of beneficial native plants that can be used in pure landscaping alone is staggering. In the past 2-3 years I've transitioned to planting only natives almost exclusively. The only annuals that I do plant are not invasive, and tend to attract birds, bees and butterflies. Zinnias and sunflowers are 2 of my favorite non-native plants. Both need little to no maintenance as long as you have decent soil.

Thumbnail by FlyPoison
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Prairie Restoration: The Prairie Garden Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks for your Unique Article!!! frankford 1 May 3, 2008 2:19 AM
WOW, those photos are a knockout! girlgroupgirl 1 May 3, 2008 3:58 AM
I am inspired mspencer1818 1 May 3, 2008 5:12 PM
Native prairie plants dordee 0 May 31, 2012 10:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America