Photo by Melody

Article: Ornamental Onions Part 1 - the Summer-Blooming Types: Invasive

Communities > Forums > Article: Ornamental Onions Part 1 - the Summer-Blooming Types
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ornamental Onions Part 1 - the Summer-Blooming TypesReplies: 3, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
DianeEG
Galva, IL

June 9, 2008
1:27 AM

Post #5074193

I was given one (no name) that looks much like the white garlic chive you picture. It is a very pretty fall blooming onion and bees love it. As it springs up all over the yard, it is very pretty in the fall when there are few white flowers. BUT: It self seeds like crazy. The bulbs multiply into tight clumps. The only way to eliminate them is hand digging and that is difficult in and around other plants. They are almost impossible to pull and can not be killed with weed killer. I've also found if I pull without gloves the oil stings. If the clumps are allowed to continue, eventually they push and eliminate other plants. When they come up in my brick walk, they actually push the bricks aside. Unlike many well behaved examples, this one is less a blessing in Zone 4-5.
Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL
(Zone 5b)

June 9, 2008
11:36 PM

Post #5079101

Wow...the only 'invasive' onion I have is Allium cyathophorum var. farreri..it self-seeds and pops up here and there but the bulbs are not deep so it is easily removed. My garlic chives have NEVER self-seeded..it blooms too late here to ever set seed.
ghopper
Brewster, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 4, 2011
12:27 PM

Post #8608546

Couldn't agree more! Although I have several and love them, you must deadhead! They are a bear to eliminate after they have seeded all over the garden.
stellamarina
Laie, HI

June 4, 2011
7:55 PM

Post #8609440

I grow my garlic chives in a large container because of this. I do collect the heads for seed to grow plants to sell. The flowers are lovely picked in a vase too.

Try stirfrying a big hand ful of chopped garlic chives in a fry pan...when you smell the garlic oil coming out add some beaten eggs to make a lovely omlet.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ornamental Onions Part 1 - the Summer-Blooming Types Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Holy Cow! joycet 5 Jun 6, 2011 5:07 AM
blooming onions tootfruit 4 Jun 8, 2011 7:44 AM
Ornamental chives lortay 0 Jun 7, 2011 1:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America