Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ornamental Gourds: Need help with the basics

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 5, Views: 63
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2008
4:36 AM

Post #5074977

I have 3 gourd plants growing in a large container. They are healthy, strong plants, but have not made "babies" yet. They are flowering like crazy, 1-2 a day, but no gourds. I have tried to cross pollinate but have had no sucess. Any suggestions? They are currently about 3' tall.

Also, how high of a trellis do I need for snake gourds and "fancy gourds" (small ornamentals)? I have them both growing in large clay pots with 7+ hours of western exposure. I water and fertilize them often, so they are not lacking for nutrients.

Thanks! Jennifer
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 9, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5076643

Jennifer - If you have not cut the vines at any point, the flowers you see may be all male - which would explain why you are not getting gourds. I believe the recommended cut point should be at about 6'. That encourages the side branches which produce the female flowers.
jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5076664

brigidlily
Lumberton, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 10, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5083027

I agree. If the flowers look basically the same, they're all males. You can easily tell the difference between a male and a female -- HE is shaped like a cup, and SHE is shaped like a teeny tiny gourd. Once you see a female, you'll be as much of an expert as any of us! Keep us posted.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2008
11:54 PM

Post #5089759

My Swan Gourd is still very small...and all male blooms...

We have a shortage of bees in my area...so if I ever get a female bloom I may have to help Mother Nature a little. Jo
Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5089782

The majority of my short handle dipper vines are still small. The vines that had the baby gourd or two hasn't grown much, either. However, the swan, kettle, and apple vines are starting to look nice and green, and some are growing! It may be time to fertilize again . . .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America