Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Boxwood has yellowing leaves that die and drop off- help!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 5, Views: 69
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
breathehope
Huntersville, NC

June 9, 2008
3:10 PM

Post #5076553

My boxwood was planted when we bought our house three years ago and has yellowing and dropping leaves. It turned reddish pink earlier in the season. I can't figure out what it needs.

Thumbnail by breathehope
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
2:53 AM

Post #5080433

Watering would be one possibility--it looks like it's very close to the house, which depending on how your house is built and what direction the rain comes from, it could be underneath an overhang and not get nearly as much water during rainstorms as plants that are a little farther out from the bed. I'd also doublecheck and make sure the mulch isn't piled right up to the trunk, it needs a few inches between the trunk and the mulch to be healthy.
ltalent
New York, NY

June 17, 2008
10:45 PM

Post #5118924

breathehope,

That sounds like winterburn, but do you even get winterburn in NC? If you do, just water them with cold water once or twice in Jan-Feb. Ours do the same. New leaves will come in afterward so be patient.
Smokey_SC
Piedmont, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 17, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5119119

When my boxwoods looked like that they had a funfus. Spray with fungicide. Rake all the fallen leaves away from the bush daily. Shake the bush before racking to get as many leaves away as possible. I lost 4 bushes that I did not catch in time. Good luck
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
2:23 AM

Post #5120124

Either nutrient deficiency, lack of water or fungus, box is prone to fungus and you need to prune the bush, gather all the pruning and get rid, also as everyone else has said, very close to the wall can mean not enough water, also is there a lot of debris from the house building under the soil, box also needs a feed every year to help it stay strong and healthy, the new growth on box is a paler colour to the mature leaves, but it turns darker green as it matures, so you really need to check out all the suggestions you have been offered here to make sure you treat it the proper way. good luck. WeeNel.
ltalent
New York, NY

June 21, 2008
8:17 PM

Post #5138712

Breathehope,

I was pruning my boxwood this morning when I found a problem so have been tooling around of different sites searching major boxwood diseases. There is a serious root rot problem that sounds similar to what you describe.

If it helps, here is a link to Virginia Ext. Look under Phytophthora Root Rot
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/plantdiseasefs/450-614/450-614.html

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America