Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Central Midwest Gardening: potting bench

Communities > Forums > Central Midwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Central Midwest GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 185
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2008
10:13 PM

Post #5078698

Anyone have suggestions on a potting bench and what features it needs to have?
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

June 13, 2008
6:06 PM

Post #5098917

One thing I really liked on a potting bench plan was pull out bins for soil,peat,perlite,etc.Also,it had a drawer for small tools,and plants markers and doors that closed.Lynn
annshaus
Central City, NE
(Zone 5b)

June 17, 2008
12:21 PM

Post #5116071

Agreeing with ibrabec..pull out bins would be great.

One thing I'd add onto a potting bench, would be a pull out screen for straining compost with a bin underneath for the fine stuff...

Maybe instead of drawers, (thinking spiders)...a space for sliding plastic lidded totes to keep water crystals and all those 'not waterproof' tags, seed envelopes and dated notes for fertilizer and spraying that I stick into my garden-tools box and plan to write on the calendar or in the journal "when I have time"...

I wish someone would invent a water/weather proof calendar that could be marked for fertilizer and spray dates, germination etc. to hang outside or on the bench...

Do you have a basic plan sjwarren?

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5117184

Not yet. I've been looking at DIY books on potting benches and outdoor cabinets. The areas that we have would be on out on our patio under a raised deck or somewhere else in the yard. I have been thinking that if I built a cabinet type potting bench with some sort of cover over top of it (located just under the deck) that it could also double as a place to put food and things if we are having people over. Do you think you would eat food off of a counter top that was under a deck but had cover over it to protect the food from stuff falling in it or should I just find a spot in the yard someplace?

We having discussions on what the top of the counter should be made out of. I looked at a poured in place concrete counter but I'm not sure about doing it. I also went to Habit Restore to see what materials they have that I might be able to use. They have a lot of bathroom counters but I would have to cut them down and I don't think they would hold up to being used as a potting bench counter.

The pull out bins are a great idea. I hadn't thought about the spider issue. We have Brown Recluse Spiders in the yard so spiders in a draw or other would be a concern.

You could proably take a two or three month paper calendar and see if you can get it laminated.
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2008
7:20 PM

Post #5128728

Whatever you do make it large and add a shelf area to keep things or you will end up like me potting on a chair next to the bench because you don't have room.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 23, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5144517

How big is your current potting bench and how big do you wish it was?
gardengus
Flora, IN
(Zone 5a)

June 23, 2008
7:08 PM

Post #5148107

Well I am a bit embarrassed to say maybe it isn't the benches fault maybe I have a problem with clutter .
The bench is just a little over 8 ft.
I think I just need a shelf on both sides one for ''to be potted '' the other for ''potted up''

One real nice thing about my bench my DH made it custom and just the right hight for me. I think that is important if you will spend any time there at all. I can pot all day and no backache , one hour of dishes and I am in pain.

I think placement is good to think about too. I get morning sun and evening shade.

Thumbnail by gardengus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2008
3:40 PM

Post #5168116

DH sounds thoughtful and handy. Another set of shelves on each side would be handy for what you are talking about. It looks like you do a lot with containers and need the extra room. BTW - The bird houses are cute.

I will keep the sun/shade issue in mind. The area under the deck that I am looking at gets morning sun and shade around noon. So another plus for putting it there.
happgarden
Kansas City (Joyce), MO
(Zone 5a)

June 29, 2008
4:08 PM

Post #5177613

I saw somewhere one time that someone took the big metal trash cans with lids and tilted them untder the potting bench and filled them with soil, or what ever. If you are like me I buy potting soil several huge bags at a time. Then the potting soil stays dry and free of most bugs. That is what I am going to do. You could also do it for perilite and that kind of stuff.

I have found I need a dry space to play in soil, and a space where I mess in the water, and a place to sit everything while I am doing it. Tools close at hand probably hanging?
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

June 30, 2008
9:50 PM

Post #5184072

I dream of a greenhouse, with a potting bench/counter inside... but my current way does work: Move the wheel barrow around from shade spot to shade spot as the day progresses, that way the whole yard gets some new MG potting mix... and you get more excercise tracing your path to pick up the tools, pots, etc. Yours is nice gus, and the fact it was built especially for you by DH makes it even nicer. (I'm only 5 ft, so standard height isn't so standard for me, either.) I'd rather pot plants in the rain than do dishes any day! lol SJ, let us know what you end up with.
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5240554

Happgarden - the trashcan idea sounds interesting. We always have bags of potting soil laying around and the trashcan would get it out of the way. I'll have to see if I can figure out how to tilt them under the bench. The water/soil access is a good idea.

AuntB - Thanks for the ideas.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Central Midwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
You have to guess what this is - it's in my garden. LOL crystalnurse 181 Sep 22, 2010 10:54 AM
dahlias-How to store allysgram 18 Apr 18, 2007 4:39 PM
Stargazer Lily Bulbs Question cedarnest 19 Jul 3, 2007 8:42 PM
Let's go gardening! Terry 12 Jun 21, 2014 10:28 PM
Speaking of winter MaryinLa 5 Mar 3, 2007 2:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America