Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Flowers: Help with seemingly diseased peony!

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 4, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wishfulgarden
Hingham, MA

June 9, 2008
11:45 PM

Post #5079148

I'm sad to say, but it seems like there's something wrong with one of my peonies. It has light brown splotches on its leaves. We had a stretch of extremely wet weather followed by some significant heat (around 100 degrees), so maybe that's the cause of it. I'm hoping someone can help me ID the issue and suggest some solutions. This peony is surrounded by a lot of other peonies, so if it's a contagious disease I need to nip it in the bud.

Attached are some photos. Thanks so much for the help!

Thumbnail by wishfulgarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 10, 2008
1:29 AM

Post #5079818

I can't grow peonies here, and I don't know anything about them, but it looks like sunburn damage to me. My hydrangeas have the same thing from a hot spell we had a month ago.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 13, 2008
3:30 AM

Post #5096312

It could be the sun and rain you had that has caused this browning on the foliage, but it could also be peony blight, so to be sure, remove these brown leaves by cutting them off at the leaf Axel, them burn them, if you dont see it on any other plants close to this, then it probably was the sun/rain, but your plant wont thank you for stressing it by leaving dead or withered leaves on it, there is still time for it to recover, keep a close eye on your other ones for the same symtoms so you can cut and destroy any other diseases leaves if they should show up, good luck. WeeNel.
wishfulgarden
Hingham, MA

June 13, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5098338

Thanks a million! It seems to only have affected that plant, so I did what you suggested. I appreciate the advice. :)
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 17, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5119217

Glad to help, hope it all works out, your peonies will have formed their flower buds by now, so removing some foliage wont harm them in any way, hope you have a wonderful show of blooms, WeeNel.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America