Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Remembering Plumbago: thanks!

Communities > Forums > Article: Remembering Plumbago
bookmark
Forum: Article: Remembering PlumbagoReplies: 11, Views: 64
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
12:31 PM

Post #5081591

i just recently planted some of this for the first time. it's doing very well and already flowering. i plan on getting more this fall. it's nice to read about something new to me and know some history behind it!
Tir_Na_Nog
Houston
United States
(Zone 9b)

June 10, 2008
1:03 PM

Post #5081741

ditto----I was considering it for my yard to!!!!!!!!!!! I wish Aunt Bett had written a book!
Soulja
Louisville, KY

June 10, 2008
1:29 PM

Post #5081863

... she did... and the messenger is her great niece, Shar Brown.

Excellent ! Another must have for the garden. I just leave it to Shar to tell me what plants are cool to own and keep adding them to the new beds. I have the front yard too Shar so keep the Aunt Bett stories rollin'.
cathy4
St. Louis County, MO
(Zone 5a)

June 10, 2008
1:48 PM

Post #5081953

A friend recently introduced me to her Aunt Bett. It wasn't until later that I realized why I was so happy to meet her, she reminded me of your stories. She must have thought I was crazy. Thanks again for a wonderful way to start my morning.
izzyjane
Carol Stream, IL

June 10, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #5082075

I love reading about your aunt, and her knowledge of the medicinal properties of all the plants she passed down to you. So cool! Was she native American at all?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5082402

I have become so involved in Aunt Bett during the evening hours, which is when I spend my time writing, she has invaded my dreams. Not that she is unwelcome, of course.

Trackinsand, thank you. I would love to see pictures of yours growing in your garden.

Tir_Na_Nog, thank you, too...sometimes when I am trying to read what she wrote some 50 years or more ago, I wish she had used a typewriter. She wrote on the back of used envelopes, on corners of paper bags...a book would have been helpful, but then if she had, I would not have had this opportunity to meet so many nice folks.

Soulja, you are a sweetheart! What are you going to do when you read about the PawPaw tree? I don't think they grow in the middle of downtown Louisville!

And Cathy, too funny...but don't worry, the aunt enjoyed meeting you too, I am sure.

Hello again, Izzyjane...I love your name, by the way...a lot of Janes in my family. Without tracing through my mother's writings, I can tell you only that during the Civil War, there was a grandmother who was Cherokee or perhaps part Cherokee. And yes, she was on Aunt Bett's side of the family tree.
Geneology was my mother's hobby, and I do have all her charts and stories, but I was always more interested in plants than I was in people, so I have allowed that study to fall by the wayside as I try to put together bits and pieces of my memories of Aunt Bett. There are so many parallels to NA medicines and Aunt Bett medicines, I think they must be very nearly the same, and of course her knowledge was handed down, but probably not so much on paper.

Thank you all, I am always so happy to hear from you.

Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5117331

"My" butterflies should be thanking you, too,
because now they are going to get come
plumbago!
Thank you SO much for these wonderful
stories.
Fitsy
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
3:29 AM

Post #5120511

Thank you for writing, glad you enjoyed.
Sharon
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2009
2:51 PM

Post #6492835

I had missed this article. I love plumbago. Mine is planted inground, part shade, getting that harsh afternoon TX sun and it does well. In fact, this year b/c of our mild winter it didn't even go dormant. love the white variety also and I have recently found a red plumbago, which is slightly different looking.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
3:21 PM

Post #6492998

Hi Nery,
Red, oh my, I love red blooms, and can't even imagine red plumbago. You'll have to share a picture when yours is in bloom.

Nice to see you this morning, we are in the middle of a downpour...again! My iris and roses are suffering on the ground. In a couple of months, I'll be pleading for rain, so I shouldn't complain.

Thanks for checking out the article, fun for me to see them pop back around too.
Have a good weekend.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2009
3:28 PM

Post #6493024

mine is a new plant, hasn't bloomed yet. here is PF on it:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/2565/
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2009
4:58 PM

Post #6493418

Oh my, how pretty. Thank you.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Remembering Plumbago Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Tears... Seedtosser1 5 Jun 10, 2008 11:59 PM
Articles by Sharon Brown keeling 3 Jun 16, 2008 10:36 AM
cool blue plumbago pinkypetunia 1 Jun 10, 2008 4:50 PM
your stories of Aunt Bett wyldeflwr 1 Jun 10, 2008 6:22 PM
Another good one! Sundownr 1 Jun 11, 2008 4:06 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America