Photo by Melody

Article: Harvesting and Using Elderberries: red elderberries vs black elderberries

Communities > Forums > Article: Harvesting and Using Elderberries
bookmark
Forum: Article: Harvesting and Using ElderberriesReplies: 0, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kclynne8
Carlisle, IA

June 10, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5082745

The other day I brought home a beautify "Black Beauty" Elderberry bush. However, now I am wondering if I can make jelly using these berries or if I should just leave them for the birds. I have been trying to do research on the American vs the Euroupean elderberry bushes and it seems that I can't find anything that is specific. The North American (red) elderberries are referred to in recepies and the European (black) elderberries are referred to in holistic medicine.

The European bush has a dark or almost black leaf like the ornamental sweet potato vine, then clumps of pink flowers turning to berries. The North American bush is what I am seeing here on the DG website.

Does anyone have any additional info on these two elderberries?
Thanks.

Thumbnail by kclynne8
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Harvesting and Using Elderberries Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Brings back memories! KyWoods 32 Aug 24, 2010 12:10 PM
Elderberries maigloeckchen 7 Aug 20, 2007 10:43 PM
Less travelled roads are healthier scooterbug 2 Aug 19, 2007 6:47 PM
Blackberries Everywhere!!! thesoaplady 2 Aug 27, 2010 8:17 AM
Elderberries by the barn Ravenlunatic 1 Aug 22, 2008 1:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America