Photo by Melody

Weather: June Daily Weather II, Weather Abounds!!!

Communities > Forums > Weather
bookmark
Forum: WeatherReplies: 231, Views: 1,627
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
9:22 PM

Post #5084043

Floods in Indiana, Twisters here and there,
Earthquakes in Iceland, and green where last year there was none.
Temps break records over 100 years old.
We get a 30 minute rain about once a week.
70.9 F / 21 C
Thunderstorm Rain Mist
Humidity: 100%
Dew Point: 71 F / 22 C
Wind: 8.7 mph / 14 km/hfrom the SSW
Wind Gust: 14.5 mph / 23 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa (Steady)
Visibility: 3.0 miles / 4.8 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 1000 ft / 304 m
Overcast 2000 ft / 609 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 37 ft / 11 m
I went out to catch a few shots as rain started.
Please come by and post often.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5084547

I don't know if the elderberry makes berries that are edible. It's a recent purchase and still in the pot.

An inedible cherry off the weeping tree.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 10, 2008
11:31 PM

Post #5084587

Gary has an appointment on Thursday for surgery at 1:00pm. To remove the left you know. Please keep him in your prayers.

Rann The way you feel at 60* is how I feel at 90*! Its so sad seeing the damage to your area. I really hope the owners of the longhouse rebuild. Its an amazing structure. Is there a chance that the springs will fill back up? Your girls are so cute! Im envious of your garden!
Celia You are welcome to the picture! I love the elderberry so pretty! You must have a welcoming garden to have so many visitors! LOL! What is that beautiful yellow bloom?
Kiska So far no rain here. We do have some low clouds thoughtmaybe well get some if I dont think about it too much! LOL!
Adina Pretty hibiscus!
Sidney As always your coleus are gorgeous!

74.3 F / 23.5 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 59%
Dew Point: 59 F / 15 C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/hfrom the West
Wind Gust: 7.4 mph / 11 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 1 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4200 ft / 1280 m
Mostly Cloudy 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

This is all West of us...Areas of rain and isolated thunderstorms will continue over the area through 8 PM mainly west of Macclenny. Other patches of light rain will continue from north of Middleburg to Hilliard.

Partly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms early in the evening...then a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms overnight. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds...heavy rainfall and small hail early in the evening. Low 72. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%

There's a baby Brom in there!

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2008
11:39 PM

Post #5084616

Sharon, the yellow flower is a marigold. And we try to make the yard welcoming to everyone! LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2008
12:55 AM

Post #5084916

Helloooo! I'm back! :D We have had an awefully Hot 4 days. It's been 100 on my deck 4 days in a row. Of course the shade says 93, which is way too hot for this time of year. I've been trying to keep the potted plants alive. I really hate to water the beds this early, but that's what I've been doing. I had to move my poor tomatoes to a more shaded spot to save them.
Dyson, I hope you didn't get that bad weather Saterday.
Sharon, Gary is in my prayers.
Sidney, Your Coleous! They could not be any prettier! :) Are you finished with work, yet?

Awesome pics, everybody!

Rann, I am impressed w/ the Viking Longhouse and do hope they rebuild.
Se_eds, Hope that you get some relief tomorrow! We got some rain this evening...sending it your way! :D
Kelli, Awesome, as always! :D I really cannot express how wonderful the walks are that you take us on...Thanks.
Kiska, That looks like a scene from a book that I've (JW) got. ;) Love it! :D

I would send you all a pic of JW in his new little pool, but I can't. His swimming trunks were too tight (12 months size), so to save a diaper he went "bare bottomed". I will tell you this...I have never heard him just sit in one spot & giggle before! :D

The answer to the trivia is...A
A severe freeze in central and northern Florida caused about $2.2 billion of damage in December 1983.

Stay Cool!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5085206

Sharon I promise to get more variety in those pictures. I am truly in love with that one above and will try to keep that combination togeather.
I know JW is pure joy. I try not to covet everyone's GBs, but it's hard.
Nice little cooling rain.
Now 70.0 F / 21.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 67 F / 20 C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Steady)
half full moon.
;)

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5085246

Sure seems to be a lot of troubles in the world--and here on our little thread too. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

My arbor bed is now in full "late spring" bloom.

early_bloomer

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
2:48 AM

Post #5085480

(Giggling at the thought of JW giggling...) :-)

I'll be praying for Gary on Thursday, Sharon. Did he handle the visit ok?

And, yes, shortly after I turned the sprinkler off we had a thunderstorm come through and it poured. Anyone want to borrow my sprinkler? It seems to do that quite often...

Your arbor bed is gorgeous, E_B. :-)

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:41 AM

Post #5086275

Guys, what beautiful blooms!
Rann, I'm so sorry about the damage in your region. I also love the Viking construction, so cool! I hope they rebuilt it! Your girls are so beautiful, do they have your eyes? Your garden looks great!
Sharon, love the bromelia bloom! I'll keep Gary in my thoughts and prayers on Thursday.
Celia, the flowers are so beautiful, especially the pink ones!
Joey, your peonies are so beautiful! What colors do you have?How is our boy?
E_B, those foxglove are awesome!
Kiska, what a beautiful view of the pond, it's great you have both swans and ducks !
Marylyn, how is your big bunny feeling today?
Marsue, so many butterflies, they are beautiful!
It's warm here and sunny, but they forecasted rain tomorrow, we need it fo rthe garden. My daturas are blooming and balsamineas too, but they need water!
We went to buy th ereails for the curtains yesterday and a table and chairs for teh terrace, also a barbecue for the garden. I was beat last night and hardly make it home!LOL I'll post more pics later.
Hugs,
Adina

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
10:04 AM

Post #5086324

Joey Ive been moving plants to the shade as well. Its scorching outside. I got a good giggle just thinking about JW in the pool! LOL!
Sidney I love the coleus! Theyre so pretty! Do yours wilt in the heat?
E_B Thanks you. Im in awe of your garden.
Marylyn Remember the movie Rainman? Thats Gary before/during/after seeing a doctor. He paces and mumbles. He does ok, but did have to take a pill. I used my sprinkler. Seems its connection to the skies is loose because it isnt working!
Adina You must post more pictures of your house!

69.8 F / 20 C - We haven't been below 70 in a while!
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 64 F / 18 C
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa (Steady)
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 3600 ft / 1097 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Partly cloudy in the morning...then mostly cloudy with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 88. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2008
1:06 PM

Post #5086803

Good Morning! Well the rain certainly seemed to cool things off a little. right now the temp is 72 & the fog is burning off. I will still need to water a few plants today, but the rest are fairly well taken care of.
In Dublin...
Clear: 72F
Feels like: 72F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dew point: 66
Humidity: 83%
Visibility: 10 miles
Wind: 3 mph NNE
Sunrise: 6:01 AM
Sunset: 8:44 PM
UV Index: 1 Low

E_B, Love the garden! Beeee-uu-tiful! Pure paradise!
Marylyn, How is Joy's mouth? Back to normal, I presume! :D I have the same problem when I wash my car! All I have to do is wash it & voila! I have rain! The last time I washed it it started raining before I got finished...That's right, I washed the wheels in the rain! :D But I didn't bother w/the towel dry! ;)
Sharon, he is in my thoughts constantly...& he is on the prayer list. Many, many praying for a complete healing. Prettty! Flower! :D Love the color! Love Broms! :D To me they're very special.
Adina, Yes! Please post more pics of your house & those lovely fields! JW is 'fine as frog hair' (mighty fine). He's crawling everywhere. So I do a constant vigil. One good thing, tho. He definitely understands the meaning of 'no' & minds very well. :) But (LOL) he thinks that his stroller needs constant repairs! ;) And the Peony? I have no idea what kind it is...my cousin gave it to me when she cleaned out her flower beds 2 years ago.

Today's trivia is...
What is the name given to a supercell system that spawns multiple vortices simultaneously?
a) Flock
b) Family
c) Clutch
d) Grouping

Have a Great Day! Everybody!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5087348

Joey, while I was reading your post, all I heard were baby giggles in my head! Such a happy sound. Sometimes I wish I had a little one in the house. Or close by to hear that sound for real. ☺ My peonies are NOT doing well. I have them in the wrong place. The former owner of our house planted them in the grass and I just let them be because I didn't know what they were until last year.

Sharon, your brom is a pretty color. The other (moss rose?) is pretty, too! That's so funny about Gary mumbling! My DH does that. He has a running monologue with himself. It's hard to tell if he's talking to me sometimes. lol

Early, all my foxgloves died. I'm very jealous! ☺

I'm going to say...B...on the trivia.

We got new carpet picked out and set up for installation! Yipee!!! The couch is all ready for delivery and we also found a coffee table and an end table we like. All the work and deliveries will be made after we get back from vacation. I'm not sure which I'm more excited for! For which I'm more excited?

I got my camera delivered yesterday. A Nikon. I've never had a camera so complicated before. Having much fun, though. My DB in Oregon got the same one so we're going to compare notes when we see each other.

48F with only 60 today and rain. I like this weather much better than the 90s we usually have by now. I DID get sunburnt the other day, though. Staying inside today.

Feels like: 42F

Barometer: 29.9 in
Dewpoint: 32
Humidity: 54%
Wind: 15 mph NW
Sunrise: 5:55 AM
Sunset: 8:59 PM

Monty is thrilled.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2008
3:52 PM

Post #5087642

Good morning/afternoon! :-)

It's a beautiful sunny day here today, bit of a cool breeze and about 58F. The pool was very busy today, felt quite warm for swimming.

Sharon - Gary is in my thoughts too. Hope tomorrow's surgery won't be too hard on him. I don't know if the springs will refill - I sure hope so though, they looked much prettier with water in them. I guess only time will tell ...

Celia - we have similar temps today :-) Except here it's sunny ;-)

Joey - sounds like JW is keeping you busy ;-) lol Neat bug! :-)

Adina - thanks - you be the judge reg. the eyes ;-)

The garden club here had a plant swap about two weeks ago and much to my annoyment I was among those interviewed and photographed (I prefer to go unnoticed ...) Anyway it was in Friday's paper and the photo isn't as bad as I'd anticipated so here goes ...

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 11, 2008
3:57 PM

Post #5087668

That's a great picture of you! Your girls look just like you. LOL
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5087969

Rann: I agree with Celia. I see your sweet countenance in the faces of your girls. You hardly look old enough to have children!
Sidney: I love the coleus!
Sharon, I found the baby brom in your photo! Love the shade of red on that flower in your last photo. We'll be remembering Gary and your entire family in prayer as he undergoes surgery tomorrow.
Joey: your story about JW giggling made me laugh. What a sweetheart he is! Guessing D on the trivia. What a neat photo of the "bug".
EB: love that arbor bed--simply beautiful!
Celia: How exciting about your new furniture! "For which I'm more excited?" is grammatically correct but none of us really talk that way, do we? LOL Monty has such a hard life! Poor thing--LOL! Have a great time on your vacation and take lots of pictures of the beach. Wish I could stowaway in the trunk of your car!

My best friend is having a radical mastectomy for breast cancer on Friday. Her name is Janie and she is single and she is raising her 13 yr. old granddaughter alone. The Lord knows that Janie needs to live to raise her granddaughter. Please remember them in your prayers, too.
Janie's granddaughter will be staying with us while Janie is in the hospital and possibly for a few days after Janie goes home. My DGD and Janie's DGD have known each other since they were babies and my
DGD will be spending some time at our house during this period, too.
Janie's sister and mother are available to take care of Janie while she is recuperating.
Today:
Mostly Sunny
High 90F
Precip 20%
Wind: S 9 mph
Max. Humidity: 57%
UV Index: 10 Very High
Sunrise: 5:54 AM CT
Sunset: 8:22 PM CT
Avg. High: 86F
Record High: 100F (1977)
Tonight:
Partly Cloudy
Overnight Low 73F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSE 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 74%
Avg. Low: 65F
Record Low: 46F (1988)

A somewhat fuzzy photo of my African Violet.

Thumbnail by marsue

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2008
5:04 PM

Post #5087973

you look great Rann, before i read your text, i thought the photo was one of your girls...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2008
6:04 PM

Post #5088289

well, here we go again...

Quoting: Hi 101 F
Lo 66 F Triple digit heat will make its return across the Panhandles this afternoon as winds increase from the southwest 25-35mph...and gust upwards of 50mph! Needless to say watch out for blowing dirt, tie down that lawn furniture, and be mindful of the elevated fire danger. A Red Flag Warning is in effect for the central and western Panhandles from 11am-10pm. Also an isolated thunderstorm or two my spark up in our eastern counties along the dryline later on this afternoon.

Currently in Amarillo
90F (Feels like 88F) Sunrise: 06:32
Sunset: 21:01
Humidity: 28%
Visibility: 10.0 m

Partly Cloudy
Wind: SSW24gusting to 32 mph
Barometer: 29.74

headed out to the pool before the temps climb and the wind gets worse!
tf
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5088394

And on the southeast side of the state (insulated by the Gulf from the nasty temperature extremes that TF gets in the far north) ...
Quoting:Mostly cloudy early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 90s. South winds 10 to 15 mph.

All in all, I'd rather live here. :-)

Rann, you're beautiful!!! The girls definitely get their smiles from you. :-)

Joey, Joy is completely back to normal. We just have to be a little careful when we're brushing her teeth, not to bump the stitches. We go back to the doctor's office on Friday for a follow-up. :-) Since "scary" isn't an option, I'll pick C.

I'm praying for Janie and the entire family, marsue.

Celia, LOL... Monty's thrilled, huh? How can you tell? He does seem to be enjoying the sax music...

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:53pm CDT (23 min ago)
Temperature 92 F 33 C
Dew Point 69 F 21 C
Humidity 47%
Pressure 29.96 in 1014.4 mb
Wind Speed 13 MPH
G 23 11 kts
G 20
Wind Dir S 180
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 98 F 37 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 75.0F / 23.9C
6 hour max temperature ending 12:53pm CDT : 93.0F / 33.9C
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #5088530

Tamara, I read your weather report and thought, "Blahhh".

It was really noisy here this morning. They were cutting trees or bushes at one of the houses behind us. It might be the woman behind us having her oleanders cut to the ground. She has this done at least once a year. I have no idea why.

Van Nuys, California (Airport)
Updated: 11:51 AM PDT on June 11, 2008
76 F / 24 C
Clear
Humidity: 45%
Dew Point: 53 F / 12 C
Wind: Calm

A couple more pictures from Saturday and then I'll be done.
a small creek

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2008
7:01 PM

Post #5088537

the beautiful symmetry of Yucca whipplei ssp. parishii

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2008
7:04 PM

Post #5088555

This forest is probably more open than that with which most of you are familiar.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2008
7:05 PM

Post #5088560

some more scenery

Thumbnail by Kelli

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
7:46 PM

Post #5088715

Rann, you sure look like their older sister, LOL...same eyes , same face, wow, amasing !
OK, if you insist, I'm going to post more pics of the house !LOL
Today they were working at the alleys arround the house. Tomorrow they're going to pour concrete.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
7:47 PM

Post #5088719

The house as it looked today.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
7:53 PM

Post #5088738

The workers have been doing the support for the fence, so they could pour concrete inside. Here they were working and the cable guy was installing the dish.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
7:54 PM

Post #5088741

Now we have cable, yeaaahhh!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5088751

And a TV, which we brought especially for the boys to watch the soccer games. The European Football(soccer) Championship has begun and Romania team is playing too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
7:57 PM

Post #5088755

We also have doors and fixtures.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:00 PM

Post #5088765

The doggies found some shadow.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5088796

Our bathroom , almost ready.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:11 PM

Post #5088805

Lights in our bedroom.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:12 PM

Post #5088811

Lights on the hall downstairs and the stairs.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:14 PM

Post #5088817

Lights on the stairs.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 11, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5088825

Your place looks great! I like the tile in the bathroom.

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #5088826

Livingroom.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:18 PM

Post #5088835

Thanks, Kelli ! This is another bathroom.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 11, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5088837

And the other one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5089045

Very nice pictures from your hike on Saturday, Kelli. The yucca is nicely symmetrical but I wouldn't want to fall into it! LOL
Adina, the house is really looking good. I love the tile in all of your bathrooms as well as your light fixtures. Very nice. Glad the doggies found some shade! and of course, the modern conveniences (such as the TV dish) are very important--not to mention the bathrooms! LOL
TF: I'm sorry about the triple-digit heat in your area. Maybe you will get some relief soon.
Marylyn: glad that Joy is doing so well. Thanks for the prayers for Janie.

Currently lots of sunshine and 89.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2008
9:21 PM

Post #5089120

great pictures everyone!

kelli, i second that: "Blahhh"!!

already to 100 headed to 104... and there have been fires... gald we got that swim in early so we can hide in the house. i hope the chickens are hiding in theirs. took them our watermelon rinds and some icecream... Orion got his first swim in the big pool, of course i am holding him, so no pictures, DH was busy chopping wood before it got too hot. gotta fill that woodshed he just built. i hung out one load of laundry, and half was dry before i finished!

"Great news...the record heat from today will give way to more tolerable weather tomorrow with daytime highs falling back into the upper 80s and low 90s...with less wind!! Now, other than a slight chance for a storm in our eastern counties tonight...Saturday evening looks to be the next best chance for rain as a few thunderstorms roll in from the mountains late.
Currently in Amarillo
100F (Feels like 94F) Sunrise: 06:32
Sunset: 21:01
Humidity: 10%
Visibility: 1.50 m

Partly Cloudy
Wind: SW37gusting to 45 mph
Barometer: 29.65 "

yeah, that makes me feel so much better LOL...

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2008
9:57 PM

Post #5089262

Kelli, i dont' know which was prettier, the yucca or the stream,. but my feet longed for that cool stream! i played in ones like that as an adolescent... and our wild yucca aren't nearly so beautiful here!!!

Adina, that house is coming along, you must be so excited! nice of you to provide the guys with a TV. looks like the houses on your block are all about ready... the blue grout in that last bathroom is nice! my fav is the daisy stencil in the first though...

Marylyn, not fiar to be cooler in Houston!

marilyn, hope you are taking advantage of your fair weather, certainly this heat is headed your way. wish your rainfall would ocme this way!

tf
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 11, 2008
10:14 PM

Post #5089352

oh no! that was a fast climb in temps!

107 in Borger right now! according to the news, but the bank t/t says 101... just got a call from a worried friend. maybe depends on WHERE in borger. so time to go cool down some chickens, and stop at the pool on the way back to the house...

tf
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
10:57 PM

Post #5089508

Joey Cool picture! I dont know the answer for the trivia! Going with D?
Celia Ric is the Nikon expert! What type do you have? I have a D40X and am still learning how to use it! LOL! Youll have to post pics of your new room when everything gets put in place. Monty does look a tad bit smug! Possibly contemplating the demise of the sax playing frog?! When is your vacation?
Rann I knew you were gorgeous when I saw the first picture of your girls! And its been proven! Hildur Eva and Selma Run look just like you!
Maruse Your friend Janie is on our prayer list. That list has gotten mighty long this past month. Love the African Violet very vibrant.
TF UghI cant complain about our heat when you are baking.
Marylyn Glad to hear Joy is doing so well! Shes been a real trooper through this.
Kelli She needs to prune it only once a year August/September and theres no need to cut it that far back. This is the same woman that turns the music up isnt she? Shes annoying me and I dont even live there! LOL! The water is so clear in the spring pic! Great pictures! I still see some green. : )
Adina I just love your house! The tiles and light fixtures are so pretty! The doors are so widewow! I know you are excited to move in. Glad the dogs found a nice cool spot : )
TF 107? Holy cow.I dont even know how to respond. Stay cool and keep your chickies cool too.

79.7 F / 26 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 55%
Dew Point: 62 F / 16 C
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Heat Index: 81 F / 27 C
Clouds: Few 4200 ft / 1280 m
Scattered Clouds 13000 ft / 3962 m

Tonight
Mostly cloudy early in the evening then becoming partly cloudy. Scattered showers and thunderstorms early in the evening...then slight chance of showers and thunderstorms in the evening. Low 70. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.

Still no rain...sigh

Thumbnail by MySharona

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 11, 2008
11:44 PM

Post #5089713

54~overcast. no wind. 3:30 and I'm on my way to the post office.
Loved seeing everyone's posts; so much has happened and so many pretty photos; Rann, you're beautiful; your daughter's look so much like you.
Can just imagine, Joey, how active things are getting to be; and a new mechanic in the house, too. He must be so cute to watch.
Kelli~another nice series~so good to see all that's there.
Adina~looks just wonderful at your new home. Boss is right at home.
There's sure some comfy kitties to be seen on this thread, too.
Knik River; not far from home.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2008
12:25 AM

Post #5089898

Sharon, you can relax. The trimming is going on across the street from the houses behind us. It looks like they are thinning some trees, rather than cutting them down. I could see a guy up in a tree and then later he was up in another. I hope they don't cut them down. They are in the distance in this picture.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5089961

Japanese iris

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2008
12:34 AM

Post #5089964

some kind of cactus

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2008
1:09 AM

Post #5090175

Kelli: I love cactus flowers. They're always so vibrant.

Our weather forecast this morning said: "Clear and cooler, with a high in the low 90s." OK, so 92 is marginally cooler than 99, but I tend to think of that as "less hot". :)

Won't complain tho, unless we continue to have no rain. Chance of t-storms tonight, but nothing yet.

Buttered popcorn daylily.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2008
1:18 AM

Post #5090216

Bless you, marsue, my prayers are with you.

Wow Kelli, I love Yucca whipplei ssp. parishii

Beautiful day in Pa. Temps in the low 90's, air is dry. Got all my pots of flowers and daylilies fed and watered. Life cannot be any better.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2008
4:30 AM

Post #5091313

iwas out there so long changing out waters i was too tired to stop at the pool. couldn't even fathom putting something warm in my mouth like supper. so we had cold cereal with milk for supper!

everyone here is still alive. lots of fires in the area today. and sad to hear about the tornado deaths in Iowa.

beatufiul pics everybody!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2008
5:26 AM

Post #5091415

Wow! Too much to comment on. Flowers and trees and dogs. Oh My!

Adina, your house is going to be spectacular.

Sharon, I got a D60. Our vacation starts June 19th and we don't come home until the 28th. Woo hoo! My DB and I are going to compare notes and hunt for a macro lens for me. Anybody have a suggestion? Ric?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2008
10:08 AM

Post #5091614

Kiska Nice picture! I bet that water is cold! LOL!
Kelli LOL! Maybe they are just trimming away from the lines.
Deb WX said we had a cold front move through. I kept thinking Where are you from that you consider 89* a cold front? Pretty daylily!

72.1 F / 22.3 C
Overcast
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 68 F / 20 C
Pressure: 30.06 in / 1017.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 70 F / 21 C
Visibility: 9.0 miles / 14.5 kilometers
Clouds: Few 2300 ft / 701 m
Mostly Cloudy 4300 ft / 1310 m
Overcast 6000 ft / 1828 m

Today
Considerable cloudiness. Scattered showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then numerous showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 89. Southeast winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Here is Gary our "RainMain". He's already got his "pace" on! LOL! He's edgy, but doing ok. This is considered out-patient surgery so he should be at his Mothers house later this afternoon. I'll keep y'all posted. Please pray for him again.

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 12, 2008
10:50 AM

Post #5091677

Good Morning! This morning is still on the warm side w/ 68, but cooler none the less. We had cloud cover until about 3:00 yesterday, which kept it very comfortable, then the sun came out & turned things up a notch ot 2! The Blackberries are coming along & so are the snakes & turtles. 2 turtles (that I know of) & 1-5' black snake. Give me a black snake any day! If we have them then we don't have copperheads.
At Dublin...
Clear: 70F
Feels like: 70F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 63
Humidity: 78%
Wind: 0 mph
Sunset: 8:44 PM
UV Index: 0 Low

Thanks Rann, I must agree w/ everone else! You look like the girls, pink & all. :D (or vise-versa) And what kind of neat flowers did you get? Looks as if you had your arms full! :D
Marsue, I will be praying for your friend & her DGD. So sad. :(
Marylyn, I just Knew :) that Joy would bounce right back ;) So glad that she did! :D
Kelli, That creek looks so inviting! And that Yucca! Beautiful! And you're right about the trees being more 'open'...Our woods almost seem crowded, in comparison. Gorgeous Iris! & Cactus!
Adina! Your house is really moving along! :D I know that you are really anxious to move in! Love the tiles! in all 3 of the baths. Oh, heck! I love it all! :D
Thanks Sharon, Is Gary getting anxious? or antsy? Poor fella. Many prayers for him, this day... and he's a handsome fella!
Kiska, You're right. He is so cute to watch. I enjoy every minute w/ him. And you want ot know what his first word has been? LOL "Book"! But of course he leaves the K off. We may have a talker on our hands! ;) I Love that pic of the Knik, btw.
Deb, Glad your Buttered Popcorn is blooming! That means mine are not far behind! :D And your's are SOooo Pretty!

The answer to the trivia is...B
.Although rare, a group of tornadoes is called a Family.

Today's trivia is...
In what month of 1965 did Hurricane Betsy strike ?
a) October
b) June
c) September
d) August

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2008
12:37 PM

Post #5091932

Thanks to Deb and Joey, I am now hungry for buttered popcorn AND blackberry cobbler! LOL
Kiska: it looks like there is still ice on the Knik River?
Kelli: pretty cactus and Japanese Iris
Sharon: Gary is still in our prayers.
Celia: nice photo of your backyard. Just a few more days and you'll be off for some well-deserved R and R!

Thanks for your prayers for my BFF, everyone. I am off in a couple of hours to pick up her DGD who we also claim as our DGD. Back later. . .

Today
Mostly Sunny
High 93F
Precip 20%
Wind: SSW 10 mph
Max. Humidity: 59%
Sunset: 8:22 PM CT
Avg. High: 87F
Record High: 99F (1977)
Mostly Clear Overnight
Low 73F
Precip 20%
Wind: S 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 70%
Avg. Low: 65F
Record Low: 49F (1988)

Echinacea purpurea w/small green "friend" at top of cone

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 12, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5092380

Good morning!

Geeeeshh I'm blushing ... thanks everyone for your much too nice comments.

Marsue - thanks so much, but the grainy print in the paper hides the wrinkles well ;-) lol There are women my age that are already grannies - I'm getting horribly close to the big 4-0 ;-) lol Very pretty echinacea. So sorry to hear about your friend and her DGD. Prayers for her recovery.

Adina - wow the house looks great! The European Cup is widely watched here too ... they even moved the evening news because of it! lol I didn't realise Romania was competing. I haven't been paying much attention - I'm not a big soccer fan, but DH has been following the matches. What group is Romania in?

TF - dear me - you're in an oven! I wouldn't budge out of the pool if I was there! lol Hope today will be better!

Joey - lol - Yeah we're pretty in pink ;-) lol I didn't get too many plants, the ones I'm holding in the photo are mine. I managed to sell quite a few - came home with about 4 new ones ;-)

It's partly cloudy today - clearing up since this morning - the sun is shining at the moment. 56F with a cool breeze :-)

Sharon - hope the surgery goes well today.

I found this Trillium last year at a nursery after years of hunting for it and failed attempts at raising it from seed: It's first blossom has opened :-D I'm so happy to have this plant finally :-)

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 12, 2008
3:35 PM

Post #5092762

45* Raining
marsue~I hope all goes well w/your friend. The ice is off the Knik river; just an optical illusion, I think.
music2keep~seems like JW is off to a great start and will happily be entertaining you with his baby talk. Great. How do you chase out the critters before picking berries? August.
MySharona~hope Gary is doing better by now and is comfortable at home.
rann~what a perfectly beautiful flower.
kwanjin~your yard is gorgeous. Very inviting.
TF~hopefully today won't be as hot as was yesterday's weather.
se_eds~sounds like you're off to a great start this morning. Have a great day.
This time of year, last year. South of Anchorage.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2008
3:54 PM

Post #5092830

Sharon, Gary looks sweet. Sending happy thoughts!

Joey, the only snakes we get are garters. I have a friend who teleports into the house when she sees one! LOL It's very funny to see. My answer is...September.

Mau, we can't wait! We're going to try and get down the coast and visit a DGer. We'd like to stay in a B&B while we're down that way. Hmmm...maybe I should make reservations. I still need to get topsoil for the bed in the center of the yard.

Rann, such a pretty trillium.

Our weather is very sunny today and the temp gauge says 60 in the shade. We had thunder and lightning last night. Very soothing, so I could sleep. Fluffy clouds off in the distance this morning.

Astilbe getting ready to open, red and white.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 12, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5092931

Thank you guys, it's been really great to share our house's construction with all of you and you were so great !
Sharon, sending prayers for Gary, I hope he is well by now...I must agree, such a handsome young man!
Joey, what are those beautiful flowers ?
Marsue, everyone loves those tiles and if it was up to me, I would have put only those in all bathrooms !LOL What a beautiful echinaceea...the visitor is so small, what was it?
Kelli, love those irises and cactus !
TF, OMG, fires?What has happened in your area? I'm so happy everyone is OK!
Rann, I forgot to congratulate you for the picture in the newspaper, it's really a big event! I'm glad your DH watches the Football Cup! Tell him Romania is in group C, but I'm sure he already knows, it's the hardest one ! We played with France and still have to play with Italy and Netherland. Tomorrow (Friday13!) we'll be playing with Italy, 19:00 our time.
Kiska, what a beautiful view! How are your grandkids? No moose arround?
Celia, your garden looks great and the pictures with the new camera are so clear! Where are you going on vacation?
My orange lilies today.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5092947

79 (pleasant) overcast, calm.

Prayers for those here that are facing troubles and for the scouts in Iowa.
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5093051

Thank you everyone! He is being prepped from surgery now.

A friend has logged in for me and is typing as I talk. I'll check back in later.

Joey - Gary doesn't really get antsy or upset...just paces and mumbles when he has to do something that makes him uncomfortable. Trivia = C.

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2008
4:44 PM

Post #5093062

Betsy is pretty early in the alphabet... I'm guessing June.

I'm praying for Gary and all of you, Sharon!!

I should type "ditto" for my weather... It is pretty much the same every day this week/month: highs in the mid 90s, humid, 20% chance of rain. Houston in June. :-) The only difference in July through September is the highs will be in the upper 90s.

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:53am CDT (48 min ago)
Temperature 90 F 32 C
Dew Point 70 F 21 C
Humidity 51%
Pressure 29.97 in 1014.9 mb
Wind Speed 18 MPH
G 25 16 kts
G 22
Wind Dir S 170
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 96 F 36 C
Current Conditions Few Clouds
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.0F / 23.9C
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2008
9:17 PM

Post #5094297

They are still "logging" across the street. All of those power lines in my picture are in my yard, so they aren't thinning the trees because of that. Maybe someone thinks their yard or house is too dark. They did cut down at least one tree. I hope they don't all go. When the strong wind blows through them, it sounds like a waterfall. I'm not a real big fan of Canary Island pines, but I hate to see big trees go.

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on June 12, 2008
81 F / 27 C
Clear
Humidity: 42%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s Variable
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 81 F / 27 C
UV: 12 out of 16
Clouds: Clear -
(Above Ground Level)

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2008
9:40 PM

Post #5094401

My "next door" neighbor had the back of their lot logged out a few months ago. I think it was so they could pay their property tax, but what ever Now I can see the road above, I did not miss it before and am not thrilled with it now.

The forest was better sight/sound insulation.

Bright, overcast, 80, calm.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2008
9:56 PM

Post #5094516

Well Marylyn took the words outta my mouth on todays trivia.
Praying for Gary and Janie.
Love the house Adina and all those wild ones Kelli. It's already sprinkled this afternoon. Brought the temps down to 73º. They are back up to 83 now. Possibilities of rain every day now. Yeah!!!
Dyson progress is the pits!
;)

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 12, 2008
10:53 PM

Post #5094764

rann, aren't the trillium special plants. They grw wild in out North Central Pa.l mountains, but are protected plants. They speak of the innocence of spring.

Dyson, loggin out is never a great idea. Nature insulates and man exposes!

Lots of flowers here

Thumbnail by se_eds

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2008
11:49 PM

Post #5094963

Well, its good news/bad news time.

Gary made it through the surgery fine. We just got home. Hes been out of surgery for a while, but the doctors wouldnt release him until he urinated. He wasnt cooperating. So after much ingesting of various fluids the doctor gave him 2 pills that made him relax enough to go. Yay!

Now for the bad news. The cancer is growing up the cord (as the doctor put it) to his kidneys. He has some blockage in his kidney. There is also cancer in his abdomen and, as we knew, in his lungs.

Gary will begin chemo as soon as he has recovered enough from this surgery. Due to the kidney situation there may be more surgeries in his future.

I will keep you updated as he progresses. Thank you so much for the prayers they helped. God was listening! : )

I'm beat...getting ready for bed. Y'all have a wonderful night!

Thumbnail by MySharona

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5095522

Sharon: Thinking of your Gary and hoping he only gets better.

Hot again today. Hot again tomorrow. No rain.
Deb

PS/I really h-a-t-e these guys. (Warning - ugly Japanese Beetles, destroying my gladiolus)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2008
2:04 AM

Post #5095799

Sharon: glad Gary made it through the surgery okay but sorry about the bad news. We will continue our prayers on his behalf.
Marilyn

deb--sorry about the Japanese beetles. Is there anything you can spray on them to zap them ?

Currently 83 at 9:00 p.m.

My friend Janie's granddaughter fell asleep on the bed while watching a movie around 7 p.m. I think the stress of being worried about her "memaw" has gotten to her--bless her heart! I pray the the Lord will bless her with peaceful sleep through the entire night!
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #5096518

8pm~~~56/sunny; no wind, perfectly beautiful. I just returned from a short walk; didn't even need a sweater; found wild roses in bloom; later than ususal and very welcome.
Deb~what a shame about the beetle-kill. Plus being hot and no rain; not a good day it seems.
marsue~ hope's she's getting a good sleep; an awfully rough time for you all.
Not far from home is this bog; there were moose tracks, but none to be seen.
Taken at 7pm.

Thumbnail by kiska

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2008
4:17 AM

Post #5096523

Wild roses at base of birch tree.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #5096632

Keeping Gary and Janie with me all the time now. Good ju-ju being sent your ways! SUCH a hard time for both of you. I feel bad for you girls.

Sharon, you get all the rest you can! And your flower is gorgeous!

Mau, you know how I feel about you.

59F and it got to 72 today. Not that I know anything about that! I had tobe inside all afternoon! LOL
Feels like: 59F

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 29
Humidity: 32%
Wind: 8 mph SE
Sunset: 8:59 PM

Somebody asked where we're going on vacation...the Oregon coast!!! Yea!!!

Monty can't come with us and wants to know why.

This message was edited Jun 13, 2008 9:28 AM

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2008
10:06 AM

Post #5096967

Thank you everyone. Gary asked for pizza for dinner last night. I told you, you cant keep him down! LOL! I just hope that if pizza is what he had it wasnt too much on his stomach. He had a lot of meds yesterday.

Deb Have you tried neem oil? I started using it when I had a problem with my tomatoes. Its organic. Pour some in a sprayer and hose down my plants 2x a month. Dont on the new and tender plants. In the summer use in the early morning or late evening. Oil+sun=Bad.
Marsue Praying DGD had a peaceful sleep last night.
Kiska Beautiful pictures! Hoping for a Moose sighting soon!
Celia Ill keep Monty for you while you are on vacation! Hes so handsome! Give him scritches and belly kisses for me!

75.4 F / 24 C
Clear
Humidity: 73%
Dew Point: 66 F / 19 C
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 30.12 in / 1019.9 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 77 F / 25 C
Visibility: 7.0 miles / 11.3 kilometers

Today
Patchy early morning fog. Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. High 88. East winds 10 to 15 mph.

Busted..my little invasive taking over the Blue Days.

Thumbnail by MySharona

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5097310

I have been more concerned with our Billy Porter
She lives 130 miles east of Des Moines.
Hope they are dry and OK.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2008
1:19 PM

Post #5097456

Hellooo! We have 71 With high pressure still spinning off to our east, the warmth and humidity will continue to filter in via southerly winds. This combo will likely kick off some isolated T-showers this evening. We're expecting another warm day with highs into the low and mid 80s. Much better than the 90's! :D
At Dublin...
Fog: 70F
Feels like: 70F
Barometer: 30.3 in
Dewpoint: 70
Humidity: 100%
Visibility: 1 miles
Sunset: 8:45 PM

Sharon, I hope that Gary rested well last night. Sorry about the bad news. Constant prayer goin on for him... I had to LOL at your 'invasive'! :D Glad that your spirits are still up. I know that it helps Gary.
Marsue, I hope that Janie's surgery goes well today. She's very fortunate to have a good friend like you. Prayers for her & her DGD!
Dyson, Sorry to hear about the 'deforestation'! So sad when many (too many) trees are cut. Sorry that it makes things more noisy for ya. I have some Black Walnuts, White Oaks & Sugar Maples you could plant to replace them! ;) Would your neighbor notice? :D
Sidney, I have been concerned about Sally, too. I hope that we hear from her soon...& where is Ric? He hasn't been on for some time either.
Celia, When are you to go to Oregon? I know you hate to leave your precious kitty, but know he will be happy to see you when you return. :D
Kiska, Love those shots! Can't wait to see some of the moose, too! ;) Do you have some bear in your area? Do you have any more pics of the bog area? So neat!
Se_eds! Love That Clematis! What a Gorgeous color! :D
Adina, The flowers that you mentioned are my wild Blackberry vines. They now have baby berries! :D
Deb, Stay Cool! and I hope you get some rain! I think that my feet are still a little sore from last year! ;)

The answer to the trivia is...C
Hurricane Betsy hit in September 1965. (must not have had many that year)

Today's trivia is...
What are tornadoes called before they hit the ground?
a) Pretornadoes
b) Funnel clouds
c) Twirlers
d) Funnel Cakes

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2008
1:35 PM

Post #5097527

Sally (billyporter) posted here, http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5072343, on the 8th. I know they have gotten more rain since then. I hope she pops in soon...

Joey, B :-)

Sharon, I'm sorry about Gary's news. :-( I'll be praying for his treatment. Love your "invasive." :-)

Deb, ugh!!!! Poor flowers, very ugly bugs. :-(

Kiska, your bog photos are gorgeous. :-)

Ditto on the weather again today, except it's only going to be in the "low" 90s instead of in the mid. woo hoo! LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (41 min ago)
Temperature 80 F 27 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 79%
Pressure 30.01 in 1016.1 mb
Wind Speed 9 MPH 8 kts
Wind Dir SSE 160
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 85 F 29 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.9F / 24.4C

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5097775

trivia B

i saw where pepper23 posted in recipes forum, so i think she is just busy. hope that river goes down soon, supposed to today!

" Hi 88 F
Lo 58 F Pleasant weather to start your weekend as yet another push of cool air has made its way into the Panhandle this morning. High today will top off primarily in the 80s with breezy winds about 10-20mph from the northeast. Temperatures climb a bit as we head into the weekend...with a slight chance for thunderstorms late Saturday afternoon.

Enjoy the nice, calm weather."

thinkingof you all while i recover from my heat rash! enjoy your weekends, your gardens, and your families!

tf

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5098242

46 sunny with blue sky ~ Highs to 60's.
Thanks~
Sharon/marsue ~ keeping you in my thoughts; I, too, loved your "invasive". Pretty cute.
TF~take care and try to keep cooler; heat rash sounds miserable.
MarylynTX~try to keep cool, too.
(We turn on the heat for a little while most late evenings to take the chill off.)
M2K~b ~ the iris is so pretty. The moose are in the area, just haven't seen them as they pass through. There are tracks in the driveway and in the soft ground beneath the trees. Bears rarely come through.
Sugarweed~the map certainly puts it in perspective. What an awful seige of wild weather.
Grasses and tiny flowers in the bog.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5098244

I'm guessing B on the trivia.

One of my friends at work has a relative in that area, Sydney. They lost everything. She said her...aunt? cousin? kept her two cats and her Yorkie on the roof with her. The two kitties kept falling into the water. She scooped them several times and saved them both. Doggie survived, too. I don't now which town they live in, though.

I talked to Pepper23. She fried her keyboard and is having trouble with the new one. She's okay.

So much trouble for everyone. We've never had anything like REALLY bad happen. No floods, fires, cancers. Just so sad.

Sharon, Monty LOVES belly kisses! LOL He would adore you.

60F and Feels LIke...70. Maybe they mean at the airport where it's breezier. My gauge says 65 and that's in the shade. They are also saying thunderstorms this AM but I see no clouds. Huh...

Barometer: 30.1 in ↑
Dewpoint: 33
Humidity: 36%
Wind: 8 mph SSE
Sunset: 9:00 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Darrell has laid our where my greenhouse is going. Yea! Maybe I'll get it in before the snow flies again. LOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2008

Post #5098255

kwanjin~looks like a great place for the greenhouse; have a good time,too, in Oregon.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2008

Post #5098259

And, now~ a flower ready to bloom...Wild iris in the back yard.

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2008
3:58 PM

Post #5098294

We will, Kiska, thank you. We'll be going crabbing, which we've never done before. So many things to do there and the coast is so beautiful.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 13, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5099089

It's a beautiful area; fresh crab is a real treat.
up to 54 and it's not even noon~should reach easily reach 60's today.

Thumbnail by kiska

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2008
7:11 PM

Post #5099164

86, overcast but bright, moderate breeze.

Kiska, when I arrived in Ketchikan, I had never seen a Dunganness crab, having only been exposed to the "blue claw" of the southern waters, a most excellent fare it turned out to be. As well as the local Prawns.

Please correct my spelling!
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2008
9:01 PM

Post #5099673

Janie has come through her surgery "just fine" according to the doctor and she is now in a private room. She is still groggy but talking. She has one of those pain pumps and can administer her own pain med which is good. She will be in the hospital until Monday. The lab won't have the report ready until Monday afternoon as to whether there were any c. cells in the lymph nodes. We are believing there are none! Thank you for your continued prayers for her and her DGD.
Pretty flowers, everyone!
kiska: if that bog was in southern Arkansas there would definitely be frogs, snakes (most likely water moccasins) and perhaps an alligator or two in it! Good thing you live in Alaska, huh? LOL
Sharon: some "invasives" are desirable! :o))
TF: 88 must feel like a veritable "cold wave" to you after 107 !
Marylyn: you are warmer than TF today.
Sidney: I was wondering about BP, too. I hope everything is ok with her.
Celia: Poor Monty looks so forlorn. You ought to feed him more--he is looking a little thin, don't you think? LOL You are getting a greenhouse. How exciting! That's another item on my "want list".
I'm glad pepper is okay but it's too bad about her keyboard.

Sunny and 89 at 3:57 p.m.

I was driving by the local feed store yesterday afternoon when my car "just happened to" make the block and drove into their parking lot. I spotted a Black-eyed Susan (rudbeckia hirta) that was calling my name. I transplanted it today. I hope it survives the transplant shock and the heat!

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2008
10:28 PM

Post #5100019

God bless, Gary! Too bad everyone doesn't have such a good attitude.

Marsue, I'm glad Janie has come through "just fine".

The cat pictures always make me smile.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 13, 2008
85 F / 29 C
Clear
Humidity: 38%
Dew Point: 57 F / 14 C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 84 F / 29 C
UV: 10 out of 16

We went hiking today at a place we had never gone before. It's still the Santa Monica Mountains, but a new trail for us. I'll show some more pictures later, but I've got some things I need to do right now.

Here it is finally - the illusive Humboldt lily! (Those leaves belong to a laurel sumac bush.)

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 14, 2008
12:42 AM

Post #5100585

Evening, all!

Another hot one today, no surprise. These clouds looked promising - the first I've seen in a while - alas, no wet stuff.
Joey: No need to start dancin' yet! LOL.
Kelli: Wow! Love that lily.
Kiska: I await summer's first moose with great eagerness. Meanwhile, the flowers are beautiful!

My thoughts are with Janie and with Gary.
Deb
(windshield shot at 50 mph)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2008
12:51 AM

Post #5100635

I'm back!! I fried my old keyboard then my new wireless one wouldn't work. I finally got a regular one to hold me over til the other one gets fixed next weekend.

Weather here has been hot, humid and extremely wet. Luckily no tornados here but lots of straight line winds. Lots of flooding going on everywhere around here. The Mighty MO is out of it's banks in alot of places and so far it's not a '93 yet but if it keeps up it will be. Luckily I live about 12 miles or so from it so I only have to worry about creeks. I am thinking about going and checking out the river though tomorrow at a safe vantage point.

Des Moines has been evacuated in alot of places due to the chance of levees breaking. I have family who live right in front of the levee and they evacuated earlier this week. I also have family who live outside of Cedar Rapids and one almost got stuck inside of town because the bridge he needed to cross was getting ready to flood. They let him out in time though so he is out of the danger zone and back home safe.

Well, that's it for the moment. Lots of weather around here and it's not gonna ease up anytime soon I don't think.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2008
1:17 AM

Post #5100748

Yikes! (I wasn't keeping up on things in the nation, so this is news to me.)

purple sage

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5100757

Mexican elderberries - They're edible. It is reported that the raw berries can make a person sick but I've never had a problem.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2008
1:19 AM

Post #5100760

hollyleaf redberry

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2008
1:22 AM

Post #5100778

California black walnut - The trees and the nuts are small, but there is an interesting little bit of trivia about the nuts. The Chumash Indians would take the shell halves and fill them with tar to give them some weight and use them like dice. They would bet on the outcome of a roll of the "dice" - two shells face up, two face down, or one up and one down.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2008
1:24 AM

Post #5100784

Kiska, don't look. It's a lizard.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 14, 2008
1:25 AM

Post #5100796

The canyon gets narrow here and the trail ends. Also, the water begins. The water was full of all kinds of critters - giant waterbugs, waterboatmen, dragonfly nymphs, and tadpoles.

Thumbnail by Kelli

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2008
6:02 AM

Post #5101827

Such beauty, Kelli. I used to walk the hills above Canogo Park with my dad YEARS ago. Is this where your pics come from?
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #5102201

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers for Janie and her DGD. They are greatly appreciated. Please keep them going up!
Deb: good capture of the trees and clouds at 50mph!
Kelli, I love all your hiking photos--the berries look good! I love that purple sage! It is surprising to actually see water in the creeks in your area.
Pepper: good to have you back posting and I'm glad you and your relatives are safe. Things don't look good in the mid-west,weather-wise, do they?
We had some rain early this morning--haven't been outside to check and see how much but even a small amount is better than none. I'm sure the plants were glad to get it.

currently it is overcast and 70

I also picked up a pot of these at the feed store on Thurs. afternoon:

edited for spelling

This message was edited Jun 14, 2008 7:02 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 14, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5102636

Working early today. Blue skies and 79 expected. Hummers are at the feeders. Going out to have coffee...

Janie is still okay, Mau?

How is Gary doing?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2008
2:37 PM

Post #5102835

Good morning!

It's partly cloudy, very light (cool) breeze and 55F. We're getting back to more normal temperatures now - the forecast calls for 50-55F for the next few days (and rain ... ) The plants have benefitted greatly from this warm spell - most of my roses are loaded with buds already! :-) Can't wait for them to start blooming.

Sharon - I'm so sorry about the bad news. Gary is still in my thoughts - so glad he's handling it so well :-)

Marsue - glad the surgery went well - prayers for a positive outcome of those tests. What lovely finds at the feedstore :-)

Celia - looks like a gorgeous place for a vacation - can't wait to see the photos when you return! :-) And how exciting that you're getting a greenhouse :-)

Kiska - great photos from the bog, the wild rose is very pretty and the flower photos are gorgeous :-)

Pepper - so sorry to hear about the flooding. Sounds awful.

TF - glad it's getting "cooler" there. Sorry about the heat rash - sounds horrible. I always get a sun rash when we go to the mediterranean area ... I imagine it's something similar.

Kelli - great hiking photos. I've said it before but I'll say it again - I'm so thankful to get to go on your hikes with you :-) And I don't have to endure the heat! lol Don't know how you do it. That lily is stunning! Love that canyon shot.

Seeds - I've seen photos of Trillium covered forest floors - it's an amazing sight. Must be an even more awesome sight "in person". That clematis is gorgeous :-)

This is our rabbit's Fra new favorite place to snooze. She's taken it upon herself to keep the lower branches carefully pruned off ... just hope she won't start nibbling the trunk ...

Have a great day everyone!

Rann

This message was edited Jun 14, 2008 2:38 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2008
9:44 PM

Post #5104374

Everyone Thank you for your support. It has meant so much to us. We have an appointment on Monday with an oncologist to go over treatment, etc. We still dont know what type of cancer he has. Gary has been moving around some and went outside briefly yesterday.

Joey Going with B on the trivia. Your iris is beautiful! There is something about the Blue Days that attracts Callie. She is always in or around the plant!

TF Have you recovered from the heat rash? I think I have one now! How are the chicks and chicklets (LOL!) doing?

Kiska Beautiful pictures! I have saved them as background! Love crab too. Speaking ofI made a seafood lasagna last week that was out of this world. Didnt last 2 days! Jeff wants it for his Fathers Day dinner!

Celia You have been truly blessed! My family and almost everyone I know have been touched by cancer. I am so glad to hear of your friends family surviving and the pet rescue. I hate to hear these stories of people loosing everything they have. I will belly kiss Monty any day! This may sound weird, but I absolutely love it when one of our cats lay in the grass. When I go to belly kiss them they have that earthy scent! I love that smell of fresh mowed grass and dirt. I know Im weird! LOL! Envious of your greenhouse! Its going to be great! Your picture of Oregons coast is background!

Marsue Glad to hear Janie came through her surgery with flying colors! She is in our prayers, so is her family and yours. I am loving your Black-Eyed Susan that called out to your car to make that unexpected turn! LOL! Pretty flowers!

Kelli Gary is special. He never has a bad day. Do you have pets? Your hiking pictures are wonderful! The flowers have that wow factor! The creek looks cool and inviting.

Deb Your clouds could be ours!

Pepper Glad you are back and so happy that you havent been affected by the floods! Were praying for your families homes. That there is none to minimal damage. We missed you!

Rann A warm spell at 55*! I felt a nice cool breeze when I read that LOL! Fra is so pretty! How do you pronounce her name?

91.2 F / 32.9 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 56 F / 14 C
Wind: 2.0 mph / 3.2 km/h / 0.9 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10.1 km/h
Pressure: 30.00 in / 1015.8 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 90 F / 32 C
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4000 ft / 1219 m
Scattered Clouds 9000 ft / 2743 m
Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)
Elevation: 20 ft / 6 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Patchy fog late in the night. Low 72. South winds 5 mph.

Callie and the object of her affection!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2008
9:45 PM

Post #5104377

My new favorite picture of Callie

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2008
10:10 PM

Post #5104481

Callie is beautiful, Sharon!

Marsue, have you ever seen this thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/825643/ ? You mentioned having chocolate basil once... You would be VERY popular over there! LOL

Your bunny is very cute, Rann. :-)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5104632

My friend, Janie, is doing fairly well although she didn't eat her breakfast or lunch so the nutritionist lady came to see her and had to scold her and threaten her with force feeding. :o(( We'll see if Janie eats supper! LOL I took her DGD and my DGD to a nearby "swimming hole" today for about 2 hours. They had a blast. Tonight they are going to my DGD's friend's birthday party and tomorrow they will be going to church together so we are keeping Janie's DGD well-occupied and keeping her mind off her "memaw". Tomorrow afternoon I may take them miniature golfing or bowling--depending on how hot it is. Bowling sounds better to me--it's A/C inside! Keeping two teen-agers occupied is a full-time job and one I am not accustomed to on a daily basis! LOL

Rann: Your bunny is precious! Years ago we had a pet bunny. His name was BR--short for Bunny Rabbit. How original is that? LOL Rabbits really do make good pets, which is something a lot of people don't know.

Yep, Marylyn, I have read that thread and I didn't want to start a stampede to my place so don't tell them that I have any! LOL

Sharon: love that Callie! Give Gary a big hug for us.

Currently it is 85 and sunshine and also lots of white fluffy clouds floating around.

speaking of chocolate basil: here are 3 of my plants in a big pot with a crepe myrtle but don't tell anybody---shhhhh----LOL:

Thumbnail by marsue

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 14, 2008
11:24 PM

Post #5104735

Sharon - LOL - no the "warm spell" was the 60F temps we've been getting spoiled with for the past weeks ... now we're getting back to normal ;-) lol Callie is so cute - that is a great photo of her :-) Fra is pronounced "Freetha" ... she's named after Belle in Beauty and the Beast (who is named Fra in the Icelandic version ;-))

Marsue - thanks - she's a real sweety. She gets to go outside and hop around without a leash now. She stays where's she's supposed to be, leaves my plants alone for the most part and hops back inside when she's had enough of the outside. She's a house bunny ;-) lol What's Chockolate basil??

It's 50F now at 11:30 pm and still very light outside. I was outside watering last night until 12:45 am ... it was so wonderful I didn't want to go inside.

I took this photo a few minutes ago, around 11:20 pm.

Have a good night all :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5104935

Wow, Rann: your garden looks like a lush tropical paradise! Chocolate basil is a type of mint--that's about all I know about it. If you click on the link which Marylyn provided you will see what all the fuss is about--LOL
Funny you named your rabbit after the Icelandic version of Belle because my DGD has a cat named Belle after the American version. LOL
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 15, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5105153

53 ~~~ 10 degrees below normal. Cloudy/rainy.
It rained on the Colony Days parade today, but still a huge turnout. About 55 entrants~
Thanks~glad to share the flowers in bloom now.
"Our" Palmer Hockey float received another 1st place~ the kids roller-bladed and handed out candy. My DH drove the SideXSide/pulling the snowmachine trailer/float.
Kelli~thanks for the hike and "heads-up". It was certainly huge on that rock.
Nothing like that here; on hikes or in bogs; pretty nice not to have to contend w/them..
Sure hope your friend will have something to eat, Marsue. Seems you do know how to entertain teens very well.
rann~your yard is so pretty; love the night light. (know what you mean; it's so compelling to be outdoors at all hours of night).
Callie is gorgeous~the second photo is wonderful, Sharon.
Dyson~I've never had the blue-claw, but bet it's good, too.
kwanjin~sounds like a very nice day. Coffee sounds good anytime. Love the pic.
Today ~ lining up for parade ~ #53

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2008
1:53 AM

Post #5105270

Fria really is adorable!!! LOL Funny how they pic a favorite spot. I guess we do the same thing, though.

Callie can come to our house, anytime.

I can smell the ocean now. Wait...no...that's the Great Salt Lake!

Mmm...chooooo-clate...

Yea, for the hockey float!!!

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2008
12:56 PM

Post #5106675

billyporter is fine. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=5106649 :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2008
1:34 PM

Post #5106793

HI everyone, my heart is two sizes bigger to hold the gratitude and good feelings for all of you! Thanks for caring!!! I'm so glad others are ok too. This has turned into a catastrophe since some towns can't get trucks in for food and fuel. My heart goes out to a lot of people.

Our little town has stayed dry, but the countryside is flooded. We are lucky to be able to get to Iowa City, but we are cut off from Muscatine. We got groceries Thursday and I'm never without a full larder and jugs of water. We have a pitcher pump for fresh water. (It also enables us to flush!)

I'm cut off from my grandkids, but they can get out thru the neighbors pasture. Our county is divided!!

There are buffalo scattered, that a family here didn't have time to get out. A small levee broke near their house.

We were able to see the high water before they blocked all the roads. Funny how a tiny thing like the Cedar can cause so much trouble. Problem is, it's been shallow for years and really needs this boiling to deepen the channels.

I always believe that good comes from chaos.

Sally

The Cedar River and cabins.

It hasn't been this high since 1965. I remember going with my Dad to see the water almost touching the bottom of the bridge when I was 8.

Thumbnail by billyporter

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2008
1:38 PM

Post #5106808

Good morning!

it's mostly cloudy, breezy and about 58F today.

Kiska - the Hockey float looks great! :-) This is the best time of year ... :-)

marsue - lol well it was a great movie ;-) lol Belle is a pretty name. Thanks on the compliment :-)

Sally - I'm so glad you're OK. So sorry about all the trouble the flooding is causing.

This photo is from early May - we went on an evening walk with the girls to a nearby lake.

Hope you all have a great day!

Rann

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 9:06 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2008
1:49 PM

Post #5106847

Hi Rann, we haven't been on the same page for so long. I've missed you and the girls. In spite of it all, the lake looks like so much fun to wade in :o)

I forgot my weather LOL!

74*, sunny with clouds of mosquitos. Picking spinich will be fun today. We have the tiny darters that you can't feel when they bite, but it itches later.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 15, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5107118

Kiska: everybody loves a parade! Congrats on the 1st place on the float.
BP: so glad to hear that you are okay. The water looks as if it is about to top the bridge! Hope the mosquitoes don't carry you away while you are picking the spinach--do you use bug repellent? (Skin-so-soft works for me)
Celia: Who is looking after your kitties when you go on vacation?
Rann: That is such a cute picture of the girls wading in the water.

I talked to Janie this morning. She says her mouth still feels like it is full of cotton which makes it hard for her to eat anything. She was going to try to eat at least a few bites of her breakfast. I hope she got something down. She is doing remarkably well, all things considered.

Today:
Sunny
High 90F
Precip 10%
Wind: SSE 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 56%
Sunset: 8:24 PM CT
Avg. High: 87F
Record High: 96F (1984)
Isolated T-Storms Overnight
Low 70F
Precip 30%
Wind: S 6 mph
Max. Humidity: 78%
Avg. Low: 66F
Record Low: 55F (1978)

Gypsy with Samantha Lantana in left background (I bought it because that is my DGD's name= Samantha)

Thumbnail by marsue

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5107134

Morning all. Was so glad to hear from our bp this morning.
Sally try touching each itchy spot with a Clorox dipped Q-tip.
It removes several venoms including bees and red ants.
Rann you and those girls ought all be modeling. I have your yard as my background.
Do you mind if I send it out in an e-mail asking "Where is this garden?"
We are expecting rain today so I'm going to do the massive planting in the rain. It's either that or an all nighter with quartz lamps. Even then at 82º at midnight it's still uncomfortable. However I did just get off the night shift so that may be my best bet. I do dig quietly but may set off neighbors dogs with my going to the back for more plants.
I won pink elfin impatients on ebay so they will find there way into most planting.
82.9 F / 28 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 54%
Dew Point: 65 F / 18 C
Wind: 2.7 mph / 4 km/hfrom the South
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 85 F / 29 C
;)
Sending love to Gary, Janie and her DGD.
Love all the pictures.

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2008
3:37 PM

Post #5107296

Thanks! Callie told me to send everyone lovey eyes (its when she squints and smiles)!

Marsue Glad to hear Janie ate a little bit. Sounds like you are having keeping the girls entertained! I want to go play putt-putt! Love the color of Samantha. I have a shirt in that shade!

Rann Your garden is gorgeous! The girls look like they are having fun at the lake.

Kiska Congratulations on the win! Good job on the float!

Celia - I second the mmmm chooooooocolate! Streeeeeetch!

Sally So glad to hear from you and that yall are doing well. I hope the rains and flooding stop soon. The Clorox works! I did that about 2 weeks ago when I was bitten by a yellow fly (grrr they hurt).

87.4 F / 30.8 C
Haze
Humidity: 47%
Dew Point: 65 F / 18 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4.8 km/h / 1.3 m/s from the SE
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Heat Index: 89 F / 32 C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
UV: 6 out of 16
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Scattered Clouds 9500 ft / 2895 m
Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy with chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 88. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.

Now
Through noon am EDT...showers will continue around Orange Springs...Salt Springs...Middleburg...Fleming Island and Hillard. The showers are moving slowly to the east. Some heavy downpours of rain are possible. Showers will be increasing in coverage later today along with scattered thunderstorms.

We have eggplant!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2008
4:32 PM

Post #5107559

Wait...it that what I think it is? Thunder? A smattering of rain?

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2008
6:03 PM

Post #5107897

Marsue, I hate to wear anything when picking food. I decided it can wait another day. Such a beautiful rose and I love lantana. It's cool to find something named for someone.

Thanks Sidney, clorox might do the trick. Massive planting, wow! Congrats on the impatiens. I think that's what I planted. They are pink and small!

Sharon, Callie is beautiful! I'm out of the loop. Is she a new addition to the family? Good, clorox it is!! I love eggplant, but with 19 tomato plants and 6 pepper plants plus the other stuff, I had no room.

78* and cloudy.

My camera has a 10X optical zoom. I went all the way to the end of digital to see the buffalo. These are 2 out of 17. He doesn't know where all of them are.

Thumbnail by billyporter

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 15, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5107913

This is the place the road is closed. The Cedar River bridge is farther up. We crossed it Friday morning. I went behind the barricades and down to the edge and still could barely make out the buffalo.

Thumbnail by billyporter

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2008
12:36 AM

Post #5109231

BP: Glad you're ok there.
Sharon: Well? DId it rain?

It's been drizzling here for a few hours, but the old rain gauge shows less than 1/4". Hope it keeps going.

Took this during the "rain" and got a smudge there that wiped out the caladium leaf, but still, this is for all my pals here on DG.
:)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2008
4:01 AM

Post #5110063

Here it did about the same Deb.
It has cooled us down some.
Blessings to all.
Sidney

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2008
5:56 AM

Post #5110332

Holy cow!!! So much water. When I was a kid, we had a riverbed overflow not far from our house. This was back in the sixties. Backyards and swimming pools were pulled into the water. Glad you're all okay.

Tell me more about your camera, BP.

Our temps are back where they should be.

71F
Feels like: 71F

Barometer: 29.8 in
Dewpoint: 40
Humidity: 32%
Wind: 7 mph S
Sunset: 9:00 PM
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2008
10:05 AM

Post #5110513

Sally No, Callie isnt a new addition. Shes my granny kitty at 13 now. Thats a lot a of water. Seeing Buffalo is like seeing Moose to me. They are an amazing sight to behold (even at a distance)!
Deb Like you it drizzled on and off most of the day with less than a too. We did get a cool down. We are supposed to get more rain today. I love the plaque its wonderful!

72.3 F / 22.4 C
Overcast
Humidity: 91%
Dew Point: 70 F / 21 C
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Steady)
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 8000 ft / 2438 m
Overcast 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Mostly cloudy. A chance of showers and thunderstorms in the morning...then showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. High 86. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70%.

New tires, new rims, new muffler, and heading off to get the a/c repaired. DS's Independence Day!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5111950

I feel like I've entered the Twilight Zone! Where is everyone?

Is anyone there asks Mr. Fred the squirrel...

Thumbnail by MySharona

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2008
5:02 PM

Post #5112043

90(F), clear, bright (blindingly bright).

DW took the dogs to her sisters yesterday, the house is very quiet without them.

DIL having baby as we type, another grandchild enters the world. (I think this is number six grandchild but I can never be certain) after three marriages who knows for sure?

Getting ready to trek west for awhile, the change of scenery will be good for my heart. or at least the travel time will be good for my soul. After all it is often the journey rather than the destination that is important.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5112050

Oh yea! Hi Sharon!
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5113026

Hi Sharon! lol Busy day here :-)

Sally - that is a lot of water! Hope those buffalo make it home - they are impressive. Clouds of mosquitos doesn't sound good ... :-S

marsue - thanks! They love wading in that lake :-) Very pretty rose and lantana :-) Hope Jane will be able to eat something tomorrow. Sounds like you've been very busy keeping the girls entertained :-)

Deb - love the plaque too :-)

Sidney - thanks :-) You're welcome to use the photo.

Dyson - congratulations on the new grandbaby! And have a good trip :-)

It started out sunny this morning, clouded up this afternoon with pretty heavy rainshowers and a stiff breeze. High around 58F.

The Himalayan Blue Poppies have opened their first flowers :-)

Have a good night!

Rann

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 9:09 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 16, 2008
9:11 PM

Post #5113054

Just a quick note : it's been raining a lot ehere, but it's hot and sunny today! I ahd a nice walk on the field and this is what I saw !
Hugs,
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 16, 2008
10:37 PM

Post #5113497

That is so pretty Adina :-)

Well, whether you believe it or not, another Polar Bear has been sighted in the northwest part of the country. This time they're going to attempt to get it back out of the country alive - sure hope they'll succeed. The necessary equipment will be flown in from Denmark tomorrow and then they'll ship it back to Greenland if all goes well... In the meantime it's under 24 hour surveillance. It's in the vicinity of a farm so the people there won't be spending much time outside in the next 24 hours I imagine. There is a protected Eider nesting area there and it's probably feasting on birds and eggs, which in the past would have been enough to warrant a death sentence. If they succeed in relocating the animal it will be the first polar bear to set foot in this country and live to tell about it. I think the bad press around the shooting of the other bear 12 days ago has a lot to do with this change in protocol...

Here's a link to the news story in English:

http://www.icenews.is/index.php/2008/06/16/breaking-news-another-polar-bear-spotted-in-iceland/

Link to a photo of the bear:

http://www.mbl.is/mm/frettir/innlent/2008/06/16/erfid_adgerd_framundan_ad_hrauni/

Rann
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2008
11:47 PM

Post #5113782

BP, I'm glad you're o.k.

Sharon, the only pets I have are fish. I don't want the responsibility of a "higher" animal.

It was hotter today than I expected.

Updated: 3:51 PM PDT on June 16, 2008
93 F / 34 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 46 F / 8 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SE
Pressure: 29.84 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
UV: 7 out of 16
Clouds: Few 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today when we went hiking, we went looking for the illusive Plummer mariposa lily. I don't know how illusive it really is, but we hardly ever see it. We went to a park where I remember seeing them 17 or 18 years ago. (DH doesn't know how I can remember an exact spot after all of that time.) There weren't any flowers in that spot this time but we did find a few in another part of the park.

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #5113787

Thumbnail by Kelli

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 16, 2008
11:48 PM

Post #5113791

Apparently they are more pink before they fully open.

Thumbnail by Kelli

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2008
1:15 AM

Post #5114371

Rann: That blue poppy is beautiful! Good shot! (And I'm glad they've chosen to relocate this latest Polar Bear.)
Kelli: That lily is so pretty. I do enjoy your wildflower pics.
Adina: That looks like one happy bee!

It was pretty hot today, but "cooler" than it has been. High was only around 90. No rain.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 17, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5114715

Our 2 week drought and heat wave has ended. We were forcast severe thunderstorms and drenching rains. We got a small thunderstorm and about 1/2 " of rain, wind and some light hail. We are supposed to be cooler - in the 60-70 and dry for the next 7 days.

Sounds like a repeat of last year. Will start watering tomorrow as the 1/4 inch just barely washed the dust off the leaves.

Dyson - enjoy the journey.
kiska

(Zone 3b)

June 17, 2008
4:56 AM

Post #5115396

9pm~~sunny and bright. Blue sky tops it off at 63*. It's about time summer arrived.
We're going to be going up the Fairbanks area tomorrow.Will be back next week.
BP~nice to see you again. Amazing pics; what a mess and loss for so many.
Adina~moving soon? Loved seeing the home pics you'd recently posted.
Kelli~how do you remember the locations? Sounds awesome. Love the little flowers you found.
MySharona~what a day,for sure. Nothing like independence.
se_eds~ do you have a lot of watering to do? Do you water in the evening? Mornings?
Dyson~congrats/new gchild. Havea great trip, too.
Deb~I really liked the garden plaque photo posted earlier. Very nice. Interesting that 90 is cooler. Got to hand it to you being able to do things in that heat. Love the shade of blue in the photo.
rann~what a story; glad it's a good ending.
Last summer near Fairbanks, Alaska.
Have a great week.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
5:23 AM

Post #5115470

Such pretty pics, everyone. Such a lovely shade of blue, Rann.

How are Janie, Gary and Joy all doing now?

75F and yes it feels like 75.
Feels like: 75F

Barometer: 29.8 in ↑
Dewpoint: 39
Humidity: 27%
Wind: 9 mph SSE
Sunset: 9:01 PM

This was two weeks ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2008
10:05 AM

Post #5115713

I was feeling a little lost without my buddies yesterday! We received almost 1 of rain yesterday. That was nice, now --- can we have some more please?! I hate to sounds greedy!

Dyson Congratulations on the new DGB! Enjoy your road trip/journey.
Rann Those poppies are gorgeous! Glad they decided to relocate the bear.
Adina Great picture! Looks like a wonderful place to take a walk.
Kelli The Mariposa Lily is very pretty! Good thing you remembered where you saw them!
Deb Pretty! What is that flower?
Kiska Wow what a wonderful picture! Have a great time! Our vacation will have to wait until next Summer.
Celia Those are some serious looking clouds!

I wasnt able to go to the appointment yesterday since the middle of the month is our crazy time at work, then my computer died (at work). Regardless, Gary has a fast growing form of cancer. The oncologist said this type (DH cant remember the name) of cancer responds well to treatment. Treatment is 5 days a week for a minimum of 6 months. There is one more appointment on Wednesday to go over medications/doses and what to expect.

Gary is with us for the next couple of days. He is happy, eating, walking around and being a chatter box! God bless him! I'm so glad he really doesn't understand what the next 6 months is going to entail.

73.6 F / 23.1 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 69 F / 21 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1.6 km/h / 0.4 m/s from the West
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6.4 km/h
Pressure: 29.94 in / 1013.8 hPa (Steady)
Heat Index: 72 F / 22 C
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A 30% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. High 92. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph.

Pink Flame Jacobina buds.

This message was edited Jun 17, 2008 6:09 AM

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2008
11:06 AM

Post #5115843

Good morning!

It's sunny, 56F and breezy this morning :-) Today is our independence day so we'll be busy celebrating today :-)

The polar bear stayed calm overnight so it's still with us. The Danish experts will be arriving this afternoon with sedatives and a cage. It was a young girl that discovered the bear yesterday afternoon. Her dog ran off toward the nesting area so she followed him because he's not allowed to disturb the nesting birds. When she discovered the bear she was just 100 m away from it - needless to say she was quite startled and ran straight home. Thankfully the bear didn't make a move, it had a bellyful of eggs and has been resting since it was discovered. The icesheet is a long way off shore so it's a mistery how it got here. Probably on an iceberg that drifted off to sea. It must have involved a long swim, so it must be exhausted. I do hope this story will have a happy ending :-)

Sharon - poor Gary. It's going to be a rough 6 months ahead for him. It is a good thing that he doesn't realise what's ahead.

Kelli - very pretty lily. Glad you found it :-)

A white himalayan poppy.

Have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
12:32 PM

Post #5116115

Sunny, bright, clear & of course clear. 70

Thumbnail by Dyson

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #5116263

Joy is doing just fine, thank you for asking. :-) Her dimples aren't quite back on that side, so there's still a bit of swelling, but she's not in pain and we keep squirting the incision area out with warm salt water (which she thinks if fun! LOL) to keep any food from getting stuck in there. We have another follow-up appointment next week. :-)

Sharon, I'm so sorry about Gary's news. :-( I'm glad it's a cancer that responds well to treatments. We'll be praying for him - and all of you! - over these 6 months.

Kelli, I'm glad you found the lilies, even if they were out of place. :-) I love going on these hikes with you, too!

Rann, that's a lovely poppy. I'm so glad they are going to try to re-home the bear without killing it.

It's going to be in the mid 90s with a 20-30% chance of rain - same as usual. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 7:53am CDT (11 min ago)
Temperature 79 F 26 C
Dew Point 73 F 23 C
Humidity 84%
Pressure 30.02 in 1016.7 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir W 280
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 84 F 29 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.9F / 23.3C
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2008
1:05 PM

Post #5116265

Kiska, I meant to say have a great trip!! :-)
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5116474

Sharon: That blue flower I posted is Black & Blue Salvia. Glad you got rain! I'll be th inking of Gary.
Kiska: Have a safe and fun trip!
Rann: Oooh - another gorgeous poppy!

Mostly sunny (big surprise) and "warm". Virtually no chance of rain other than "isolated afternoon thundershowers".

I did some digging and transplanting late yesterday - but let's face it - it was still hot! LOL.

Glad I'm in a nice air conditioned office at the moment. :)
Deb

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2008
2:39 PM

Post #5116755

Hellooo! I'm finally back...Have been rather busy redoing my walk. Lots of rocks, fill-dirt & thyme. Well, I've been working & baby sitting, too. It's been doing right much storming the past couple of days & have been affraid to get on the computer. It's been hot & "sticky" when it hasn't been storming, but we're supposed to have a really nice day today. At the moment we have a temp of 64 w/ a good breeze & lots of sun.
At Dublin...(I think they are in the sun)
Fair: 72F
Feels like: 72F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 61
Humidity: 69%
Wind: 13 mph WNW
Sunrise: 6:02 AM
Sunset: 8:46 PM
UV Index: 4 Moderate

Everyone's pics are great! Gorgeous Flowers! Kitties! & Kids! :D
Sally! I am so thankful you live on higher ground! :-O And glad that you are OK. The pics I've seen are terribly catastrophic!
Rann, I, for one, am so glad that they have decided to relocate the Polar Bear. Your Poppies! Are Magnificent! WOW!
Dyson! Congrats! :D Have a safe trip! :D
Sharon, I'm So glad that Gary's cancer is the kind that responds well to treatment! Will he have to have Chemo for 6 months? or will it be chemo & radiation combined? If Armstrong can beat it so can Gary! - He's in my prayers.
Marsue? How is Janie & her DGD doing? More prayers for them as well.
Kiska, Enjoy your trip! Such Relaxation! I think that I've forgotten what that stuff is. :)
Kelli! LOL You must have that great 'long-term' memory! :D And I think it's good to keep a man guessin! ;)
Adina, I don't know if this has been asked...do you have a date in which your house will be ready? I know that they have taken longer than was 'predicted', but did they give you another date?

A tornado is formed once a debris cloud can be seen on the ground.

Today's trivia is...
Hurricane Agnes struck a huge portion of the east coast, from Florida to New York. In what year ?
a) 1971
b) 1974
c) 1973
d) 1972

Have a Great Day! All!
Joey

(my Huchera)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
2:59 PM

Post #5116843

Dern I should know this. My mothers name is Agnes, and we were visiting relatives in the mountains when the storm moved inland - they basically ran us out of town.

Since I can not remember if it was before or after the moon shot (my father designed equipment that went up on it in 69) I'll guess a)71.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
4:02 PM

Post #5117109

D.

Sharon, I'm glad Gary is having a good time. Sounds like he does no matter what. You're good for him, I think.

Marylyn, Joy will be so much happier when that swelling goes down.

Kiska, your mts have always amazed me with their beauty. I have a DB that went on his honeymoon in AK.

Adina, you've made me want Himalayan poppies now! Thanks.

Joey, you HAVE been busy! LOL

Rann, I'm hoping that bear will be okay. It does sound as if he had a long swim. I have to say, my brain was not completely awake when I read that. My first thought when you said it was full of eggs? "But...bears don't lay eggs." LOL Silly me...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
4:07 PM

Post #5117125

Aren't bear eggs in the dairy case between the snipe truffles & the mountain oysters?

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
4:16 PM

Post #5117166

Joey, no date yet, it was supposed to be last week...ugh...but the boys had so much to do on prepairing the fence and alleys for getting the concrete poured inside and they hardly got it finished until Thursday ! Then they waited for the concrete to come and be poured...it finally came on Friday afternoon and it was poured all on the main alley because the driver said he was in a hurry...arrrgghhhh! They worked so hard to move the concrete from the main alley to the other places and all of a sudden, it began pouring rain , so hard! They hurried to do the alleys, with all the rain, but it wasn't enough for all and, moreover, the rain washed out all the cement and the alleys appeared like some beaches, with all the sand on top...ugh! Now, they'll have to spread some cement over, so it will look like a real alley!LOL
That is why I haven't been here lately, going to the house everyday. The boys have gone home for a few days, I don't know if they'll come back the same or others will come to finish what is left to be done... We went yesterday to see how they left the house...meaning if there is garbage, especially food left here and there and it was, not much, but I threw it away or give it to the doggies. The boys ate all the food we brought them the other day , but they left some cheese they had before...lucky doggies ! LOL
The alley looks like a beach and on one of the small ones , near the house, the doggies have left their prints!LOL
I have 2 days off today and tomorrow, but the schedule has been changed. It was supposed to start the cleaning, but the crew couldn't come because the inside of the house isn't finished yet...ugh! And it will be more delayed because we have some religious celebrations these days and this is always a good reason not to work . In Romania, our tradition says no work on some big religious celebrations, but this means working inside the house , like doing laundry or vacuuming, not working on the job...well, we'll have to live with that!
So, we went to solve some more pending problems, like the future internet connection at the house and phone. Also, I decided I'd better buy a laptop instead of a new computer with a desktop...anyway, I'm going to use it for writing and internet, not games or anything big. And it can store as many pics as I can take in a few months, about 10,000...I gues it will do!LOL So, congratulate me, I have a laptop!!!!!
Meanwhile, Ionut had to go and change his passport for travelling to Italy, to Andreea tomorrow. His airplane is leaving at 13:30 and we're taking him to the airport...it turned out well that I took these days off, afterall!LOL
Another good news : Boss is eating and his tummy is well! After a few days when I had to try different meals for him, like Bonnie did with her boys...I thought I was going to loose it...no, I wasn't like this, you know me, I'm the Patience itself!LOL Trully, Boss hasn't been eating well, but now he is, not as much as before, but he is hungry, especially for meat...ugh! Still, I gave him rice with beef and he ate enough and had an appetite, which made me so happy!
I hope I didn't bore you with so much babbling!

Rann, I love your amasing poppies and felt so bad about the poor polar bear! Our bears are also coming to town , in the mountains , in search for food...does it mean we have already destroyed their habbitat? This can't be right!
Marsue, congratulation for the Black eyed Susan, I'm sure they'll grow well , just water them well everyday. I replanted a datura and a rose in the middle of the summer and they were fine! Praying for Janie to have a quick recovery!
Sally, I'm so happy to hear you are safe, but what a scary moment you had !I'm thinking and praying for you and your family and friends!
Kiska, I hope I'm going to move in by the end of this month, thanks for asking! Love your pics, as usual!
Sharon, I also love that picture with Callie! I'm so sorry to hear about Gary having a cancer, but I'm praying for his quick recovery...you are right, he's lucky he doesn't know!
Everyone, love your pics !
Here are the boys working on spreading the concrete pouring from the truck.
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
4:22 PM

Post #5117199

ROTFLOL Dyson! I think I have seen them there.

Adina, so excited for you!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008

Post #5117201

Celia, not me, Rann!LOL I only have the red ones! More pics with the boys doing the alleys while still didn't rain. They had to go inside the concrete and get so dirty, poor boys! They' are about my DS age: 20, 22 and 23!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5117211

They started the small alleys arround the house too.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5117222

Duh, me!

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
4:26 PM

Post #5117226

When the rain started, they dressed some plastic sacks, like they learned in the army!LOL Both me and DH appreciated so much their work through all that rain!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
4:27 PM

Post #5117232

After the rain...

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5117237

And the small one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
4:31 PM

Post #5117268

Another view of the main alley, the next day.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
4:34 PM

Post #5117285

Just before the rain, I had a walk on the, farther than I went before. I saw a place full of these, Hissopus officinalis.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
4:56 PM

Post #5117408

A pink one.

Thumbnail by adinamiti

adinamiti

adinamiti
Balotesti
Romania

June 17, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5117554

Another bumble bee...they were all over!

Thumbnail by adinamiti

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2008
8:32 PM

Post #5118422

ROFL Dyson :-)

I'm sorry to report that the bear has been killed. I'm not sure what happened exactly - (there's a soccer match going on in the European Cup so the news will have to wait) - but apparently they were unsuccessful in shooting tranquilizer darts in the bear. It was getting agitated and heading off to sea so there was nothing else to do... or so they say. I'm not totally convinced yet, I'm very disappointed :-( This was a female, they say it was hurt and emaciated so it's not certain it would have lived if it had been tranquilized anyway...

Adina - Polar bears aren't endemic to Iceland. They need to be out on the ice to hunt and despite the name, there's no ice on the sea here in winter. Last time that happened was in 1963.

It's been a great day otherwise. We enjoyed the festivities (Independence Day) here in Hafnarfjrur in wonderful weather, sunny and surprisingly warm despite the rather stiff breeze. It's very unusual - the breeze/wind here is usually very cold!

Rann

This message was edited Jun 17, 2008 8:34 PM

Thumbnail by rannveig

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
9:13 PM

Post #5118556

Once, in Alaska, I was deer hunting with a gentleman from Idaho (I think). we left the truck, he went down hill and I went up from it.

When we returned to the truck at the appointed time there was a black bear in an extremely bad state. sniffing the bushes near the truck. It was old, blind, and near starved to death.

The best thing that could have been done would be to put this beast down and end it's suffering, it was clearly starving to death and had no hopes for another demise.

We let the bear wander off before entering the truck and that is one of the decisions I have regretted since.

When I get blind enough that I cannot feed myself - shoot me. (probably will not be that much longer).
rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 17, 2008
9:53 PM

Post #5118717

Thanks for that story Dyson - it does make me feel a bit better :-)
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 17, 2008
10:06 PM

Post #5118765

Too bad about the bear. How did she get to Iceland in the first place?

Definitely not polar here.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 17, 2008
95 F / 35 C
Clear
Humidity: 20%
Dew Point: 48 F / 9 C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the SSE
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1013 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

This is purple sage from yesterday.

Thumbnail by Kelli

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2008
1:06 AM

Post #5119627

I think Hurricane Agnes was is 1972. I lived in Carlisle, Pa. at the time.

Gorgeous weather here today. Breezy, 69 degrees and sunny. Perfect day to dig up old columbine and plant new stuff. Supposed

to be in the 60-70 until this weekend.

We are having unusually nice weather.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
6:47 AM

Post #5121034

So sad about the bear. Probably for the best.

High 80s and low 90s for the next 10 days, maybe longer. Darrell got the swamp cooler going. I told him we're getting central air and HE said it'll have to wait, then I said we're getting central air NOW. I hate having him on the roof every year and during the summer when the clunky thing leaks or stops working.

And where's Mau? (marsue)

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
8:39 AM

Post #5121110

Dark again. 61
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2008
10:09 AM

Post #5121179

Rann The poppies are beautiful! Thats sad about the bear.
Dyson Looks like a repeat of last Summer doesnt it?
Deb I thought the flower looked like Salvia, but the color is so different! Love it!
Joey Post some pictures of your new and improved walk! Sounds nice! Gary is having Chemo only at this point. Trivia is D. Pretty pretty Huchera!
Dyson That is so cool that your father has that history! Youve been holding back on us! Great comeback! Im cracking up!
Adina Building a house can have its frustrating moments, huh? Those poor boys having to work in the rain, but those are jobs that the young can handle well. Such beauty that surrounds you at your new home! And its really coming along, everything looks great! Give the Boss man a hug and smoochies from me and Prissy! Hes a good boy!
Rann - Such a pretty day for a celebration and such a pretty girl!
Kelli Pretty sage!
Celia Swamp cooler? Yes where is Marsue?

75.2 F / 24 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 90%
Dew Point: 72 F / 22 C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/hfrom the West
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8 km/h
Pressure: 29.82 in / 1009.7 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 75 F / 24 C
Visibility: 6.0 miles / 9.7 kilometers
Clouds: Few 9000 ft / 2743 m

Today
Partly cloudy. Chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. West winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.

We're in the "vague temp" time for WX. We'll be in the lower to mid 90's or mid to upper 90's now. LOL!

Another gues for th Blue Days. I woke him up when I watered yesterday. He does not look happy! I just noticed the tag is still on the pot! I've had that pot for a year! LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #5121181

Good morning!

It's a bright sunny day, breezy and 54F now at 10 am. It's supposed to cool down these next few days with highs around 50F. There's even a possibility of a freeze up north tonight ...

Kelli - she was probably on an iceberg that broke off the ice sheet and drifted off to sea. Since there haven't been any sightings of icebergs close to shore here she's probably had to swim a long distance poor thing. There was a lot more ice this winter between Greenland and Iceland than in recent years so that's probably why there have been 2 polar bear visits now. They haven't been seen around here in over a decade ... or two. And back then polar bears weren't endangered and were always shot. I guess that's why they don't have the equipment here in the country to deal with visits like this. I think they need to be prepared for visits like this. It can't be that costly to have the neccessary dose of tranquilizer and a cage stored away somewhere up north in case we get more visitors ... must cost more to fly it in from Denmark.

In case anyone isn't aware of this - the reason Polar Bears are endangered now is that the ice is melting and they're drowning in great numbers. A result of global warming ... OK, I'm off the soap box now ;-)

Here's another photo from yesterday's festivities :-) Entertainment for the kids were on that stage in the distance.

Well hope you all have a great day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2008
10:12 AM

Post #5121183

Sharon - we cross posted. Thanks :-) Gary will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rann

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2008
12:23 PM

Post #5121534

Good Mornin! We're in a cooler trend! :D at the moment it's 48!! :D Love It! :D High pressure will keep sunshine in the forecast for most of the day with highs reaching the upper 60's and low 70's. A trough of upper level low pressure will continue to spin disturbances our way over the next few days so we cannot rule out a stray sprinkle this evening.
At Dublin...
Clear: 53F
Feels like: 53F
Barometer: 30 in
Dewpoint: 52
Humidity: 68%
Wind: 5 mph WNW
Sunset: 8:46 PM

Sharon, I'll take some pics today of the rock walk. I need to go this mornin' (next door) to DB's & water his tomatoes, & potted plants then plant some plants in th new bed next to my new walk! :D More prayers for Gary...
Rann, I really hate that the bear was destroyed, but sometimes I supposed things can't be helped. :( Looks like you all had a great time at the festival! :D Great pics!
Kelli! Love the Sage! How do you manage to go hiking in the heat!? I prefer it cool or cold when I go on a Major hike. Actually, I prefer the snow to go hiking. Does the absence of a lot of humidity make a difference?
Celia...maybe "Mau" is staying w/ Janie some. I hope that she is doing OK.
Adina, I hope that they 'boys' can get the job done soon for you. But, it's gonna look great! :D
Dyson? How's that new grandbaby doin' :D Got any pics yet? :D
Se_eds, This is most Definitely nice weather we're having! :D The storms that we had day before yesterday really moved the humidity out! :D

The answer to the trivia is...D (for Dyson;)
Hurricane Agnes hit from June 19 to June 29 of that year.

Today's trivia is...
In 1979 a hurricane that hit Florida and the Eastern United States, as well as the Caribbean, left a very high fatality list. What was it called ?
a) Donna
b) David
c) Daniel
d) Diane

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2008
1:28 PM

Post #5121825

Thanks for missing me. I was AWOL yesterday. Had to go to Conway for yearly check-up with opthalmologist. My eyes are doing better than they were last year. Pressure is down considerably (I was pre-glaucoma but am back to normal) and no change in my lens RX. Also, we went by and had lunch with a friend. It was after 5 when we got home and Janie's DGD "stole" my computer until bedtime, LOL, so I had no chance to pop in and say hi. Good news about Janie--no c. cells in the lymph nodes! and she also got to go home yesterday. Her DGD will stay with us till Friday and I'll take her home then.
Rann: so sorry about the bear--poor thing. Hildur Eva certainly was looking at something intently in that photo above! LOL
Adina: sorry about the concrete being messed up but it looked as if the "boys" did their best.
Sharon: so sorry that the news about Gary wasn't more positive. We will
certainly keep him in our prayers.
Celia: aren't you leaving for vacation today? Get lots of R and R and take lots of photos to share with us!! Kiska is on vacation for a few days, too.
Deb: I have a black and blue salvia, too. I love all kinds of salvia!
Joey: looking forward to the pics of your walk. No clue about the trivia.
Dyson: ROFL about the "bear eggs"!--thanks to Celia's momentary lapse--that must have been before she had her coffee--LOL
Kelli: as always, because of your photos, I feel as if I am hiking along with you.

It was cooler yesterday with a high in low 80's. It will be a little warmer today:
Mostly Sunny
High 86F
Precip 20%
Wind: ENE 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 51%
Sunset: 8:24 PM CT
Avg. High: 88F
Record High: 97F (1990)
Mostly Clear Overnight
Low 66F
Precip 20%
Wind: E 3 mph
Max. Humidity: 70%
Record Low: 56F (1995)

NOID daylily

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5122123

Yes, Mau...before coffee. LOL So glad Janie does not have cells present! That's very good news.

I'm guessing David because that was a nasty hurricane that stayed with us for some time. (I'd give more but ONLY if pushed. ☺)

I was up on that soapbox with you, Rann!

Pretty flowers, Mau and Joey.

I start my vacation this afternoon...5pm my time. Yea!!! Darrell won't start his until 3:30pm Friday. We leave Sat. I'll get so many pics, you won't want to see anymore and run screaming from the computer! LOL I have lots to do before going. Crystal is house/cat sitting for us.

A swamp cooler is a square box that's cools the house. It has a water reservoir about 3 in. deep on the bottom. The sides come up about 3 ft. and have porous pads that have water that is siphoned into them. A fan comes on and blows over the water and into the house. Most are on the roofs, some in windows. It doesn't work in humid climates but does very well in dry ones, like ours.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5122544

I remember the ice cold wonderful smell of new raffia pads when I was growing up in Amarillo.
OTC here from Beaver Falls, Pa. So far we have repaired and reworked part of my sprinkler and will continue to do so today.
Nice having a tad of help.
Hot and humid.
Sidney

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 18, 2008
7:12 PM

Post #5123500

Thanks guys :-)

Celia - I'm looking forward to your vacation photos ;-) lol It's good to know I had company on the soap box ;-) lol Hope I didn't bore you too much.

It's getting down right windy now - and it's the regular cold kind of wind too :-( I'm so glad it was warmer yesterday - made the day so much more enjoyable.

Rann
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 18, 2008
7:59 PM

Post #5123706

Sharon: Love your little friend in the flower pot. :)

Joey: I'm guessing B for David.

90F at the moment. Sunny - not a cloud in the sky. I'm at work in the coooool a/c.

Deb
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 18, 2008
8:51 PM

Post #5123918

Joey, how do I manage to go hiking in the heat? I don't go when it gets hot. It was hotter on Monday than I was expecting, otherwise I might not have gone. It is a tad bit less hot in the Santa Monica Mountains because they are close to the ocean, but it's not enough to make much difference. When it's hot here at home, it's going to be hot there, too. Only right on the beach is there a difference. As for the lack of humidity helping, I don't know. It has been a long time since I have lived in a humid climate. I'd say the dry heat thing is a bit overrated.

Updated: 12:51 PM PDT on June 18, 2008
104 F / 40 C
Clear
Humidity: 5%
Dew Point: 21 F / -6 C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the NW
Pressure: 29.87 in / 1012 hPa (Falling)
UV: 12 out of 16

mimosa tree

Thumbnail by Kelli

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2008
9:00 PM

Post #5123959

I think the dry heat hype is just to make those of us who live in wet heat feel better. LOL 104 is HOT, no matter what the humidity! (Having said that... WOW! Your humidity is only 5%! I can't imagine...)

It's a balmy 94 here and our humidity is at a stunningly low 47%. We had a cool front come through last night! :-D

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 3:53pm CDT (5 min ago)
Temperature 94 F 34 C
Dew Point 71 F 22 C
Humidity 47%
Pressure 29.87 in 1011.4 mb
Wind Speed 5 MPH 4 kts
Wind Dir S 190
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Heat Index 102 F 39 C
Current Conditions Clear

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
9:16 PM

Post #5124107

Ha! we are only at 80 here, perfect time to fire up the grill ! The charcoal is ready as we speak. And no grandchild yet, they sent her home, her mother will check on her after work.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 18, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #5124121

If youse folks reallllllly want pics there is probably the ultrasound pic around here somewares?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
12:40 AM

Post #5125091

Okay, it's official. I'm on vacation! LOL

Look what I found when I got home...

Thumbnail by kwanjin

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2008
1:02 AM

Post #5125158

Cold in the mornings and hot in the afternoons. But not too bad. Not yet anyways.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5125216

Kelli: The mimosas are in bloom here, too. I love them.
Cooler now, no rain. Watered everything when I got home from work.

Here's a heat-stressed vinca in a windowbox.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
1:46 AM

Post #5125328

Congratulations, Celia! I'm sure you were packed weeks ago. LOL That plant is very cool! What is it? LOL

Deb, I LOVE vincas! They are always so cheerful looking. :-)
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2008
2:11 AM

Post #5125454

Cold front stationary here until this weekend. Temps got up to 71 deg. today. Rain shower - abt. 1/8" this afternoon, currently 50 deg.
I took today off and got a haircut. All I have to do to the daylily gardens yet is spray them for thrips. These cool wind still mornings are perfect for spraying. I hate to spray when the sun may mark the leaves.
Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2008
3:13 AM

Post #5125789

It was another cool day here in NW Pa. Rain in the morning gave way to sun and clouds late in the afternoon with a nice breeze blowing from the NW. Did anyone else happen to see the moon-rise tonight? Here, it was orange and huge.

I've been lurking but not posting often. It's hard keeping up with you guys! I'm keeping busy here getting ready for my daughter's open house and trying to get a new flower bed started. My big bike ride to Niagara Falls Canada week-end before last went well. I though I would be feeling the effects on Sunday morning since I had never done over 100 miles in a single day before but had no problems.

Here's me...

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2008
3:21 AM

Post #5125843

It was a great ride through grape country, parks, rural roads, bike trails etc. In this photo we are approaching Buffalo on a road closed to traffic.

early_bloomer

Early_Bloomer
Springboro, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2008
3:28 AM

Post #5125877

On Sunday morning we rode north to Niagara on the Lake. If you like to shop...and like flowers...here's a typical street scene.

early_bloomer

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2008
10:00 AM

Post #5126493

Good morning!

It's sunny, breezy and only 48F this morning. It was really cold last night, the wind felt fridgid and the temps dipped down around 40F. I went outside to water after dinner in fleece sweater, jacket and a wool hat!

EB - that bicycle trip must have been wonderful. You're looking good in the biker gear :-) You must be in good shape - I'd NEVER make 100 miles on a bike! I'm exhausted just thinking about it! lol That last street scene is pretty - where is it?

Celia - happy vacationing! :-) What is that? Is the red leaf a sport?

Deb - pretty vinca :-) Is it supposed to be blue or is that it's true color? I imagine it's not the same kind that's growing in my yard ;-)

This photo is from an evening walk in late April in a newly developed neighborhood in the neighboring town, close to where we live. We were surprised to find this small beach there! Looks very pretty but I imagine it'll never be warm enough to swim there ... could be fun for kids to wade there and play in the sand though.

Have a good day!

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2008
10:03 AM

Post #5126499

Another one :-)

Rann

Thumbnail by rannveig

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
10:08 AM

Post #5126505

Joey Im going with B David. I remember Frederic, but that one hit Mobile. Beautiful Dahlia!
Maruse Glad your eyes are getting better. Which reminds me, its time for my annual eye checkup. :P I love that deeper rose color in the middle of your daylily! Good news about Janie! Were keeping her in our prayers.
Celia I love your kitties! Too cute!
Kelli Mimosas are so pretty and smell so good! My little powder puff is related, but have no scent.
Celia What is that? Its a beautiful color! Happy vacation!!
Deb Right now, everything I have is heat stressed including me! LOL!
E_B Your bike ride looks like it was a lot of fun! Good job! Since I love flowers and shopping Niagara must be the place for me! LOL! The flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

71.1 F / 21.7 C
Scattered Clouds
Dew Point: 67 F / 20 C
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1010.7 hPa (Rising)
Clouds: Few 8000 ft / 2438 m
(Above Ground Level)

Through 6 am...patchy fog will continue over the area with visibilities of 4 to 6 miles at times...but over portions of southeast Georgia visibilities of a quarter of a mile or less are expected. Motorists should use caution and use low beam headlights.

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 90s. East winds 5 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

Well, it's just HHH here. Gary begins chemo on Monday. The 3rd cane is popping on my Phal!

Thumbnail by MySharona

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
10:10 AM

Post #5126510

Rann - We crossed again! Great pictures! Such a pretty area.

Thumbnail by MySharona

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5127435

Celia: love the kitty "orchestra". What is that strange-looking plant?
Dyson: it's hard to tell much from an ultrasound--I'll be happy to wait until the baby gets here for "real" photos. LOL
Deb: pretty vinca
Se_eds: glad you were able to take time for a haircut. good luck on spraying the DL's.
EB: you certainly look fit! Congrats on the bike ride. Love the photo of Niagara and the flowers.
Rann: nice photos of the "beach" and the buildings
Sharon: lovely phal--mine is getting ready to bloom, too. Yummy looking strawberry! We'll be praying for Gary as he begins his chemo treatments.

Supposed to be cooler today (low 80's) and I am taking the DGD's swimming this afternoon.
Currently 76 and overcast

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
4:00 PM

Post #5127774

Marylyn, the flower is Dracunculus vulgaris, Dragon Lily. It's 2 feet long and stinks like rotting meat. It's far enough away from the house that we can't smell it. LOL And yup, we're packed. ☺

Early, that bike trip must have been wonderful. Pretty places to see.

Rann, nice beach. The buildings are neat. I like the architecture.

Sharon, still have Gary in our thoughts. I love your orchids and strawberry.

Mau, have fun with the grandkids!

71F and 86 predicted for this afternoon. There's a mild breeze that feels wonderful.
Feels like: 71F

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 41
Humidity: 34%
Wind: 9 mph SSE
Sunrise: 5:56 AM
Sunset: 9:02 PM
UV Index: 3 Moderate

Thumbnail by kwanjin

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
4:13 PM

Post #5127838

Really neat plant.
Enjoying pictures.
I'm sweltering outside. Cool inside.
Prayers still for Janie and Gary.
;)
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2008
4:17 PM

Post #5127863

That's the strangest looking plant I have ever seen, Celia, although it is a pretty color. Smells like rotting meat, huh? -- does it attract varmints?
BTW, my Rainbow corn plant now has 4 ears of corn on it. LOL I don't know if I am supposed to pick the ears or not. I have tugged on them a little and they aren't budging so I guess they need to mature.

Sorry that you are sweltering, Sidney! Thanks for the prayers.

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008

Post #5127890

Yes, Mau, it attracts bugs. Flies mostly. It's kind of like a pitcher plant. Maybe related?

Thumbnail by kwanjin

rannveig

(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2008
5:39 PM

Post #5128298

Sharon - Yummy strawberry! :-) Gary will be in my thoughts on Monday.

Celia - that's a very interesting plant - I'm don't think I could bear the smell of it though ;-) lol Very pretty blue and yellow flowers :-)

Marsue - you have so many pretty Echinaceas :-) Glad the test results for Janie were so positive and that your eyes are improving :-)

Rann
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2008
10:00 PM

Post #5129430

Celia; as long as your plant eats flies, it's okay with me! (not that you need my approval--LOL) I love the blue and yellow flowers, too.
Rann: thanks for the nice comments.

I took my and Janie's DGD's swimming today. This is my DGD sliding off the end of the slide into the water. She always has to hold her nose.

It has been a lovely weather day--not too hot and not humid. Currently 87 and sunny.

Thumbnail by marsue

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2008
10:08 PM

Post #5129473

I took advantage of a definite lull in the action when there were very few kids in the water to take this panoramic shot.

Thumbnail by marsue

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2008
10:42 PM

Post #5129645

It got up to at least 107F today.

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 19, 2008
105 F / 41 C
Clear
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 49 F / 9 C
Wind: 8 mph / 13 km/h / 3.6 m/s from the East
Pressure: 29.78 in / 1008 hPa (Falling)
(Above Ground Level)

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
11:04 PM

Post #5129753

Celia I cant have that plant in my yard! Prissy loves anything stinky and would roll all over that plant. Id have to bathe her everyday! Its such a pretty color.
Marsue Beautiful lake! What a great place to put a park! I held my nose for the loooongest time until one day I stopped. Your DGD will stop one day.
Kelli Accck 107* :P

88.0 F / 31 C -- yes even at 7pm
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 39%
Dew Point: 60 F / 15 C
Wind: 3.0 mph / 4 km/hfrom the SSE
Wind Gust: 6.3 mph / 10 km/h
Pressure: 29.91 in / 1012.8 hPa (Rising)
Heat Index: 88 F / 31 C
UV: 3 out of 16
Clouds: Few 4400 ft / 1341 m
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft / 3657 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Isolated showers and thunderstorms early in the evening. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds. Low 70. Southeast winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 20%.

I took Prissy for a walk on the beach after work. She had a great time meeting new people and playing in the sand. I saw 3 beached jellyfish, it's that time of year here. The beach was empty. I couldn't believe so few people were there. This picture was taken on our way back. If you can expand the picture you can barely make out the truck in the distance on the right. That is where we entered the beach.

Thumbnail by MySharona

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
12:02 AM

Post #5130076

Looks like you had a good time, Mau. Very nice area. Our beach is covered in brine flies. Maybe I should plant "lilies" there!

Sharon, too bad. It's a pretty little plant. The foliage is striped.

I love this camera.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2008
10:00 AM

Post #5131765

Celia - The color is gorgeous!

It's DysonDim and I hear some Cardinals up and singing already. It's Friday - YAY!

72.5 F / 22.5 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 87%
Dew Point: 68 F / 20 C
Heat Index: 71 F / 22 C
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 25000 ft / 7620 m

Today
Partly cloudy. A 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may produce gusty winds in the afternoon. High 90. Southeast winds 5 mph increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

This is looking North on the beach. Prissy was worn out from our walk yesterday. She took a nap after her bath and SNORED very loud for a long time LOL!

Thumbnail by MySharona

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2008
12:52 PM

Post #5132190

Good Morning Everybody! We have another cool mornin' w/ 48, but the sun is out nicely. Some showers or storms may pop up this afternoon with highs reaching the middle and upper 70's. The unsettled weather looks to continue into the weekend.
At Dublin...(in the sun & on top of the Cloyd's Mtn.)
Clear: 55F
Feels like: 55F
Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 52
Sunset: 8:47 PM

Sharon, I think I'll start calling you the 'Orchid Queeen'! :D Beautiful! :D And the walk on the beach...DH is envious! (He considers himself a 'flat-lander')
Kelli! SO HOT! Hope that things start cooling down for you! & I hope you aren't sending it this way! I quess now is the time to be on the beach, huh? Love the Mimosa! Lots of hummers? :D
Marsue, What a gorgeous place! The scenery looks so much like here! :D That's a great way to cool off! :D and I know the girls had a 'hoot'! :D btw, the corn won't be ready until the silk turns brown. ;)
Celia, Your flowers look Marvelous! Va. Tech has one of those stinky flowers growing indoors at the horticulture center! Peeew! So glad that your's is outside! :-O
Dyson, Do ya have any face pics? of your new GB? I have one of JW & he looks like an Alien! LOL
Rann, Love the new development! That's what I call instant city! :D Pretty neat! :D
E_B, Glad the ride went well & What Scenery! :D I love Niagara! I think that I could live there. :D I think I'd just stay at the Falls tho. ;)
Deb, Hope that you are not 'heat stressed', too! Pretty Vinca. Love 'em.

Hurricane David caused massive destruction and cost 1,100 lives.

Today's trivia is...
Where is the highest place in the world?
a) Mount Everest
b) K2
c) Mount McKinley
d) Pikes Peak

Have a Great Day!
Joey

Here's the walk...(the rock in the center weighs about 150 pounds-the only one that I Didn't move)

Thumbnail by music2keep

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #5132216

Good morning! It rained yesterday - yayyy! We're about 10 inches behind so far this year. We got about a quarter of an inch yesterday - it's a start. :-) There were BIG thunderstorms all around us, but most of them missed our neighborhood. There's a 20-40% chance of rain every day in the foreseeable future, so hopefully we'll get some more. :-)

I went outside after the storm yesterday to do a little weed pulling - well, it began as a "little" pulling... I ended up staying out there for several hours, pulling weeds, planting more caladium bulbs, pulling weeds, deadheading dianthus, pulling weeds, digging up monkey grass that I have decided I don't want right there anymore, and transplanting wandering jew. I REALLY need about 6 cubic yards of mulch to hold down the weeds and help retain the moisture, but we had to spend almost $3000 on JoyJoy's oral surgery and that took care of the mulch budget. (She's doing great, by the way. :-) )

All of your water/beach photos are VERY compelling. We need to find a swimming pool - soon! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 6:53am CDT (60 min ago)
Temperature 74 F 23 C
Dew Point 71 F 22 C
Humidity 91%
Pressure 29.99 in 1015.5 mb
Wind Speed Calm Calm
Wind Dir - -
Visibility 8 mi 12.9 km
Heat Index 78 F 26 C
Current Conditions Clear
6 hour min temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 73.0F / 22.8C
6 hour max temperature ending 6:53am CDT : 75.9F / 24.4C
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
1:04 PM

Post #5132251

Sunny, bright, 67. Have not seen my wife since yesterday morning, she is at the hospital with the stepdaughter (third time this week) & when they got there yesterday the staff told her she was not leaving without a baby this time. Probably a good thing as with the tiling of a bathroom floor & the framing of a door this place is a construction zone (there is an air compressor in the living room).
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2008
1:41 PM

Post #5132426

Kelli: 107 Wow!
Love the color of that flower, Celia--is that a coreopsis? Are you going to have computer access when you go on vacation? If not, we will miss your postings, but have a great time!
Sharon: pretty beach pictures but you are correct: where are the people?
LOL @ Prissy snoring.
Joey: I love your walk! Those precious little feet in the top of the photo must surely belong to JW! I'm not sure the corn on my ornamental corn plant will be edible, anyway. I need to check into it but thanks for the tip about the silks turning brown. I'm guessing B on the trivia simply because A would seem to be the logical choice so it must be a trick question. LOL
Marylyn: hope you get some more rain. Joy's oral surgery certainly did put a big hole in your pocketbook--everything is so expensive these days! :o(( There is a place about 30 miles from me where you can get free mulch but I think it would be a bit far and certainly not "free" by the time you drove up here.--LOL
Dyson: hope that grandbaby is here by the time you read this. Waiting for those babies is the hardest part--well, not for the Mother--we know what is the hardest part for her! --hard labor! Be sure to show us some photos of your new tile when it is completed.

Today
Scattered T-Storms
High 81F
Precip 40%
Wind: WSW 5 mph
Max. Humidity: 62%
UV Index: 9 Very High
Sunrise: 5:55 AM CT
Sunset: 8:25 PM CT
Record High: 101F (1972)
Isolated T-Storms Overnight
Low 66F
Precip 30%
Wind: NE 4 mph
Max. Humidity: 84%
Record Low: 54F (1966)
Currently 71 and overcast--very nice on the back porch drinking coffee earlier

I love these "Oranges & Lemons" Gaillardia

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 8:43 AM

Thumbnail by marsue

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2008
2:26 PM

Post #5132667

I too have Sharon's weather.
Joey are those rocks that have been on your land? Or are they new rocks?
I'll guess K2.
Hugs all
Sidney
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
3:04 PM

Post #5132866

I stopped and saw an old friend this morning that I had not seen for years, On his front porch there was an old pair of work boots being used as planters, the boots were the same but the plants were different (and both flowering). I have got to carry a camera back over there.

The tile in the bathroom is set but still needs to be grouted, if I can find the cable for my camera I will get a shot when it is done.

Sunny, warm, calm.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
5:05 PM

Post #5133420

Thanks, Sharon. I like the coreopsis, too. More poppies opened this morning.

My answer is K2, on the trivia.

Joey, love the baby toes! The walk looks soothing and cool.

Dyson, we do need to see that.

75F
Feels like: 75F HA! Feels like 90 while you're in it!

Barometer: 30.1 in
Dewpoint: 33
Humidity: 21%
UV Index: 5 Moderate

The other coreopsis.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
5:09 PM

Post #5133443

Yes, I'll have access when I get to my DB's house later in the week. He might have his laptop with him at the beach.

The wildflower bed.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #5133610

Joey, 55F sounds like heaven.

Your beach looks great, Sharon. Are there a lot of seashells? That's what I remember about Florida beaches.

According to the newspaper, it was 110F in Chatsworth and 109F in Woodland Hills yesterday. I live between the two. We thought about going to the beach today but they're calling for it to be in the mid 80s. This is not typical June weather.

WOODLAND HILLS
Last Update on 20 Jun 9:36 PDT
101F
(38C) Humidity: 7 %
Wind Speed: NE 4 G 15 MPH
Barometer: 29.92 in (N/A mb)
Dewpoint: 26F (-3C)
Heat Index: 95F (35C)

Today: Sunny and hot, with a high near 111. West wind around 8 mph.

Tonight: Clear, with a low around 62. West wind 6 to 8 mph becoming north northeast.

AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT THIS
EVENING. AN EXCESSIVE HEAT WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY
MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY EVENING.

HIGH TEMPERATURES TODAY ARE EXPECTED TO TOP OUT BETWEEN 106 AND
113 DEGREES...WITH HEAT INDICES AROUND 105 DEGREES. CONDITIONS ON
SATURDAY ARE EXPECTED TO BE VERY SIMILAR TO TODAY.

A RED FLAG WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM PDT SATURDAY.

LONG DURATIONS OF SINGLE DIGIT HUMIDITIES ARE EXPECTED TO CONTINUE IN THE FOOTHILLS THROUGH SATURDAY...WITH TEMPERATURES CLIMBING AS HIGH AS 113 DEGREES TODAY. IN ADDITION...THERE WILL BE VERY POOR OVERNIGHT RECOVERIES...REMAINING BETWEEN 10 AND 15 PERCENT IN MANY
LOCATIONS.

A RED FLAG WARNING MEANS THAT CRITICAL FIRE WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EITHER OCCURRING NOW...OR WILL SHORTLY. A COMBINATION OF LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITY...HOT TEMPERATURES...AND RAPIDLY LOWERING FUEL MOISTURES WILL CREATE EXPLOSIVE FIRE GROWTH POTENTIAL.

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2008
5:54 PM

Post #5133739

Thanks Marsue, yes...those are JW toes. He likes to watch me work (outside). But the second I quit moving he 'wants' me :)
Sidney, the rocks (except for the 2 on the top/right) are from around the house. I have another one that I would like to get hold of...but Garrett & George will have to do it together. It's larger than the center one & 6" thick instead of 5". But it will be done, even if I have to bribe! :D I want to do the other side of the deck the same way, but it will take some time. I need the pergola 1st.
Dyson, please? :)
Marylyn I bet that you feel really good (a sense of accomplishment) for weeding so much! :D Glad Joy is doing good! :D We have folks up here that cut trees for people & you can get free mulch from them (especially if the trees are in power lines). You have to let it sit a year, but it's free. The name of the company is 'Asplund'. Do you have anyone down there that does that sort of thing?
Celia, Your yard looks Great! Love those Coreopsis.
Kelli! OMG!!! Come on over! I am So Thankful we are not that Hot! :-O

Sidney I got the rocks on the left from around the house, as well.
(a better pic of those little toes)

edited cuz I can not spell

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 1:57 PM

Thumbnail by music2keep

Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2008
6:07 PM

Post #5133807

See what I mean when I say that I get my bad weather in the summer?
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2008
6:08 PM

Post #5133813

Joey, I love those rocks, too. And the toes even more! :-) I think it's K2 also.

Kelli, please be careful in that heat!!
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2008
10:48 PM

Post #5134858

Those little feet are just way too cute! :-)

I decided on the spur of the moment that we should go to the beach. DH doesn't do spur of the moment very well, but after a couple false starts, he was ready to go.

Here is the closest beach report I could find.

Point Mugu, California (Airport)
Updated: 2:56 PM PDT on June 20, 2008
81 F / 27 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 50%
Dew Point: 61 F / 16 C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the SSW
Pressure: 29.84 in / 1010 hPa (Falling)
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m
(Above Ground Level)

And back at the old rancho...

Updated: 2:51 PM PDT on June 20, 2008
109 F / 43 C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 8%
Dew Point: 34 F / 1 C
Wind: 7 mph / 11 km/h / 3.1 m/s from the WNW
Pressure: 29.79 in / 1009 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Few 25000 ft / 7620 m
(Above Ground Level)

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
11:37 PM

Post #5135019

109 on L.A.! I haven't been there in ages but I don't remember it getting that hot.
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2008
11:53 PM

Post #5135082

What I call L.A. proper, that is, downtown, rarely ever gets that hot, but up here in the San Fernando Valley (which is still in the city limits of L.A. but hardly anyone in the outside world knows that) it gets that hot once in a while. Broadly speaking, in the summer, if the temperature is X in the San Fernando Valley, it is approx X-10 in downtown and X-20 at the beach. We've got microclimates galore.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2008

Post #5135388

I was a micro climate once.
Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5135393

Are you a macro climate now, Dyson?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5135540

ROTFLOL

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2008
3:03 AM

Post #5135956

think I got over it - as always.
DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2008
1:22 PM

Post #5137185

"I know to you, it may seem strange, but I wish it would rain." (Temptations? I think.)
Could be worse. Could be 98 like last week! Fortunately our high yestserday and expected today is back to more normal levels in low to mid 80s. Makes a difference in the amount of watering to be done.
I'm off to do a little late transplanting!

Happy Summer Solstice!
Deb
(Down at the pond, early this morning.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC

music2keep

music2keep
Peterstown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2008
2:29 PM

Post #5137403

Mornin'! The sun is shining brightly & the temp is 67. The watering is all done, but I need to work on the flower bed some more. I found another really neat rock yesterday! :D It's pretty sad when you get excited about rocks! :D LOL But it's smooth rounded sandstone! :D
At Dublin...
Fair: 68F
Feels like: 68F
Barometer: 30.2 in
Dewpoint: 63
Humidity: 83%
Sunset: 8:47 PM
UV Index: 2 Low

Deb, That's aneat pic...all the different kinds of foul! I don't think that I've seen a heron so close to a Canada before! What the little white one? (beside the Mallard?)
Thanks Kelli, I think that I would be staying at the beach as much as possible! :-O With temps like that I would make it a point to learn how to do 'spur of the moment'. ;)
Celia! LOL!! That is hilarious!!! Kitties are so Funny! :D
Dyson? Do you have a baby yet?
Thanks Marylyn, And those little toes are ticklish, too! :D

The answer to the trivia is...A (LOLThey wanted us to think it was a trick question! :D )
Mount Everest is almost 30,000 feet in height.

Today's trivia is...
Where is the lowest inland impression in the world, excluding the oceans?
a) Aiding Lake
b) The Dead Sea
c) Lake Superior
d) Amazon River

Have a Great weekend!
Joey

Thumbnail by music2keep

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2008
5:03 PM

Post #5137965

Celia: LOL at kitty! He seems to be saying: "Oh, PUHLEEEEZE! MUST YOU!!??"
Kelli: around here it is my DH who is "spur of the moment" and I'm the one who wants everything planned 6 mos. in advance. LOL However, I would be to the beach in a split second if it was 100plus around here!
Joey: I can hear those sweet baby giggles now when you tickle JW's toes! Pretty pink flower! Guessing B on the trivia. Love the rocks and the path--what's that ground cover spilling over the rock on the left?
Dyson: how about that new grandbaby? MMMM, boots as planters--there's a thought. I know there are some old boots around here somewhere.
Deb: pretty photo of the pond and the ducks, etc.

We didn't get any rain last night so I went out early and watered and weeded for a while this morning. Supposed to be in low 90's all next week with very little chance of rain. :o(((
Today:
Mostly Sunny
High 86F
Precip 20%
Wind: N 8 mph
Max. Humidity: 53%
Sunrise: 5:55 AM CT
Sunset: 8:25 PM CT
Record High: 97F (1988)
Partly Cloudy Overnight
Low 64F
Precip 20%
Wind: NNW 7 mph
Max. Humidity: 76%
Avg. Low: 67F
Record Low: 55F (1976)

Rio Samba and Sunsprite

Thumbnail by marsue

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2008
5:06 PM

Post #5137989

Solstice celebrations going on here today. Woo hoo!

Isis does love the vacuum.

Pretty dahlia, Joey. B is the answer. And the white bird, I think, is a female duck.

83F with 96 predicted. We're well on our way to it.
Feels like: 83F

Barometer: 30 in ↑
Dewpoint: 30
Humidity: 15%
Wind: 11 mph S
UV Index: 5 Moderate

High 50s and low 60s for northern Oregon coast this week. Going to be lovely!

Isis hides in the tall grass.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2008
5:24 PM

Post #5138079

Isis is good at hiding! LOL Have a great time in that nice cool weather, Celia. Send some of those cool temps down this way! LOL However, 60 does sound a little bit too cool to actually get into the water?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2008
5:27 PM

Post #5138091

Very cold water. I think the water temps are in the forties. Brrr...!

Two nights ago.

Thumbnail by kwanjin

Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2008
8:53 PM

Post #5138860

Thunder, but not much rain, 78
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2008
9:58 PM

Post #5139067

Updated: 1:51 PM PDT on June 21, 2008
108 F / 42 C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 9%
Dew Point: 38 F / 3 C
Wind: 10 mph / 17 km/h / 4.6 m/s from the WNW
Wind Gust: 20 mph / 32 km/h / 8.7 m/s
Pressure: 29.85 in / 1011 hPa (Falling)
Clouds: Few 15000 ft / 4572 m
Scattered Clouds 30000 ft / 9144 m
(Above Ground Level)

DebinSC
Georgetown, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2008
10:47 PM

Post #5139391

Joey: That white duck is the Mallard's girl. I'm not sure if she's just a very odd looking mallard or if she is the offspring of a group of crested ducks that live(d) there. I tend to think the latter.

It rained! A whole quarter inch, accompanied by very loud thunder. Love it.

Deb
MySharona
Amelia Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2008
11:15 PM

Post #5139500

Has anyone heard from Ric and Sally?

Joey I love love love what you did to the walkway! Its wonderful! I just want to tickle those little toes hahahaha!

Dyson Run back to your friends house and take some pictures of those plant filled boots! I have got to see them!

Marsue I was shocked when I got to the beach and saw it practically empty. There were about 10 15 people at or near the entrance, but that was pretty much it. It was packed out today though. Just an fyi, There is minimal driving on our beaches. Pretty much the only vehicles allowed are the beach patrol. Those are the tire tracks seen in the pictures. I read somewhere (I cant remember where) that the corn is edible. I believe the term is Garden Rainbow Corn. I couldnt find much about the plant, except that most people use them as ornamentals. It is a pretty plant.

Celia You have a very pretty garden! Hope you are having a blast on your vacation!

Kelli We used to have a lot of shells, but not now. There has been a bunch of erosion, so we have mostly sand and some cracked/broken shells. I cant believe howyoure your area is. Ugh

Joey Asplundh is here too. But nevertheless, very few people do anything for free here. I love your deck and the amazing JW!

Kelli I am cracking up at the after a few false starts comment! That is hysterical!

Celia If I tried to vacuum my cats I would look like shredded spaghetti.

Deb Love your pond picture! Its wonderful!

Joey The trivia is B Red Sea

Maruse Rio Samba sounds like a tropical rum adult beverage! Ill have a Rio Samba please!! LOL!! Makes a pretty rose too! And you know I adore the sunsprite!

Celia Id jump into a 40* body of water right now!

And once again No Rain Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

82.4 F / 28.0 C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 56 F / 13 C
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Heat Index: 82 F / 28 C
Clouds: Few 3000 ft / 914 m
Scattered Clouds 6500 ft / 1981 m
Scattered Clouds 12000 ft / 3657 m

Tonight
Partly cloudy with a 20% chance of showers and thunderstorms. Lows in the lower 70s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

This morning as I was standing in the kitchen doing my "bird/squirrel/butterfly" watch (what I actually call "Breakfast at the Randolph's!). We had 10 Cardinals, 4 Mourning Doves, 5 Tufted Titmice, 1 Finch and 7 squirrels. Later on I saw some Monarchs and Zebra Longwings flutter through. We also had a 4-peat hummer come through and drink off one of the feeders. It was so cute! The first time it came through I was standing about 4' away. It went to all four "petals" on the feeder. It came beack about every 10 mintues afterward. Very cool! We had one baby squirrel that was small enough to fit inside the squirrel feeder and eat. He would stick his head out once in a while to get some air! He was too cute! I moved some of my succulents to a cooler spot. It's getting way too hot for them this summer. I also had to quarantine a couple of plants that have a weird fungus on them - where did that come from? Grrr.

Gary had a stent put in at his kidney yesterday. He has a mass on this one and the mass is keeping the kidney from working properly. As you know he begins chemo on Monday.

3 Cardinals all in a row.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Marylyn_TX
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 21, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5139673

We have Asplundh here, too, but they don't give the mulch away for free. Bummer. I wonder what they do with it? I should find out. I think Lake Superior is the deepest lake, but I'll bet it starts out higher up (sea level-wise) than the Dead Sea... I'm guessing the Dead Sea, too.

se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5139693

marsue, what beautiful roses - looks like a page from a catalogue

MySharona, what a lovely picture of the cardinals.

Day started out at 50 deg went up to 92 this afternoon. Sunny with intermittent clouds. Been 13 days without measurable rain. Supposed to be intermittent thundershowers for the next two days. I am watering and running soaker hoses. After last years drought, seems to be a fact of life here in Zone 6.

I may stop raising flowers. Seems sort of stupid to put well water on flowers when it is needed for drinking and washing.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2008
12:14 AM

Post #5139712

very pretty pic of the cardinals, Sharon. Sorry to hear about Gary having a mass at his kidney, etc. We'll continue praying for him. Thanks for the info on the corn--I haven't bothered to look up anything on it yet, so that was a big help. That's funny about the Rio Samba sounding like an adult drink! LOL The thing about Rio Samba is you never know what color the blooms will be--maybe orange, maybe yellow, maybe orange-yellow or orange-red. It keeps you guessing! Right now it is my most prolific bloomer.
Glad you got some rain, Deb, if only 1/4 inch. We didn't get any and I had to water flowers most of the afternoon. I also discovered that we have a mole!! GRRRR! I hope he doesn't kill my roses!

Currently extremely sunny and 86.
marsue
Isabella, MO
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2008
12:16 AM

Post #5139718

We cross-posted, se_eds. Don't give up on the flowers yet--it could still rain soon. (That's what I keep telling myself.) Thanks for the compliment on the roses.
Dyson
Rocky Mount, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2008
1:04 AM

Post #5139946

Brief thunderstorm laid down enough moisture that I did not have to water the veggie beds today, we lost power for a few hours but not long enough for me to worry about the contents of the freezer. Now I need to reset all the clocks and get to work on the doorway I am building. I also have some molding to put in the bathroom now that the tile is finished but that will wait until tomorrow.
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2008

Post #5139953

This thread is so long it takes a minute on high speed to appear.
Here's a brand new thread please come on over!!!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/866698/
;)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Weather Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Boring Hurricane Boards? Floridian 106 Jul 24, 2011 12:43 PM
Big Feb Storm CountryGardens 54 Mar 3, 2007 2:39 PM
Yipee It's March!! Daily Weather sugarweed 206 Mar 9, 2007 4:58 AM
Deadly Tornado hits Alabama henryr10 22 Mar 5, 2007 5:01 PM
Help!!! Something's eating the moon!!!! Resin 10 Mar 6, 2007 4:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America