Photo by Melody

Article: Outdoor Bulbs for Spring and Fall Planting in the South: Gotta love them bulbs

Communities > Forums > Article: Outdoor Bulbs for Spring and Fall Planting in the South
bookmark
Forum: Article: Outdoor Bulbs for Spring and Fall Planting in the SouthReplies: 2, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Aunt_A

June 11, 2008
3:57 AM

Post #5085810

Hey Mitch;

"Good job!"

Hope all is well with you!

Blessings, :-)

Aunt A pea rill

MitchF
Lindsay, OK
(Zone 7a)

June 12, 2008
4:29 PM

Post #5093003

Thank you - just the facts... lol...

Now I have to figrue what ones of these will grow here where I am!
ival
Arlington, TX

June 16, 2008
11:21 PM

Post #5113665

To Mitch in Red Oak:
Most of them, actually, will grow here in North Texas. (I live in Arlington.) Beware of spending too much on tulips, ranunculus, or anemones. They tend to bloom well for a year or two, then disappear. And pick early daffodils if possible, as the mid and late season varieties tend to feel the heat. We like Ice Follies, Thalia, Pheasant's Eye, King Alfred. Lots of others, though. Of the full-size hyacinths, the white and blue seem to do best here. Of crocuses, the miniatures tend to get lost in the grass. Of the big ones, we have had very good luck with the bright yellow and the blue. The yellow ones will form lasting clumps and even spread a bit in good spots. And as I've said in my earlier posting, try Leucojum, if you can find them. Wonderful white flower sprays with a touch of green on each bloom. Tough as nails and take virtually no care at all. And the orange spider lilies are a must -- seeing them magically spring up overnight after the first autumn rains restores ones faith in Texas gardening after our summer has almost extinguished it. Lycoris radiata is the Latin name; they are expensive, but easy to plant and take no care at all. Last a lifetime in a sheltered location with good drainage.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Outdoor Bulbs for Spring and Fall Planting in the South Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
More please :)Great article Mitch Debbie2007 5 Jun 10, 2008 10:43 PM
tomato blossom rot shortyward 1 Jun 12, 2008 4:25 PM
Leucojum ival 1 Jun 17, 2008 12:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America