Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: hardy jasmine will it survive outside in zones 6/7?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 10, Views: 110
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
frenchsuze
Pittsburgh, PA

June 11, 2008
2:20 PM

Post #5087148

I live in pittsburgh PA and love hardy jasmine. I want to plant it outside but here's the question -- will it survive our winters? we are, I think, zones 5/6/ and a little 7.

frenchsuze
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 11, 2008
2:46 PM

Post #5087276

Any chance you have a Latin name for the plant you're interested in? There are many, many plants in genus Jasminum and probably an equal number of things in other genera that go by the common name jasmine. The two that I've seen most often with the name "hardy jasmine" are Jasminum x stephanense (hardy to zone 7) and Jasminum officinale (hardy to zone 8) Most of the Pittsburgh area is zone 6a, so unless you have some extra warm microclimates in your yard most jasmines won't be reliably hardy--if you have a mild winter they might make it but a tough one would probably kill them. The one that you'd have the best chance with is Jasminum x stephanense, it's typically listed as hardy to zone 7, but Lazy S Nursery sells one that they say can handle zone 5. I'm not sure if their parent plant is extra special and more hardy than normal, or if all of them would have this level of hardiness, but that one is the one I can think of that you would have the best chance with.
SCNewbie
Anderson, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2008
6:31 PM

Post #5103825

I bought 2 Hardy Jasmines from Logee's late last year - http://www.logees.com/prodinfo.asp?number=R1385-2 - and I'm not real happy with them. Logee's says they're hardy to Z6.

I'm on the border of 7b/8a; I put one in the ground & kept the other in a pot over the winter. The one in the pot is doing much better than the one in the ground, even tho I prepped the soil very well before planting it. The one in the ground is only about 8" tall at this point, and I'm thinking it won't flower this summer. If it doesn't do anything by next summer I'm ripping it out.

The one in the pot is growing faster & already had a couple of blooms, altho they died right away because of a heat wave. Still it's growing better than the other, but not as well as I thought they would.
1LittleRed
Julian, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2008
6:25 PM

Post #5123315

I planted a Star Jasmine, The tag on it says "Trachelospermum Jasminoides" Cold hardiness 30 to 20 F I am just getting started learning, I moved into a Home in Julian CA. that has been empty for 9 years. The yard is almost an acer and very over grown with Black oak, Manzanita, and some White Oak. We are wanting to start planting different things. I planted this Star Jasmine at the end of my driveway, it will get dappled sun most of the day. I hope it will crawl on my fence some day ! We have hot summers around 90 and some snow in winter average 30. I think we are a zone 8 to 10 ? Thank you for any information or tips for my situation. : ) Always Smiling !
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5125052

If you have snow you're definitely not in zone 10, probably not even in 9 if snow is something that you're seeing every year. I looked up typical average temps for Julian, and your average winter lows are enough lower than mine that I'd guess you're borderline between zone 8a and 8b. Star jasmine should be fine, it's hardy to 8a so unless you have a really tough winter it should be OK. And it'll be fine with your summer temps, my average summer temps are hotter than yours and it grows everywhere here. You'll just have to make sure you water it--it's not a super thirsty plant but it definitely will need more water than nature's going to give it.
1LittleRed
Julian, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2008
12:24 AM

Post #5130207

ecrane3,
Thanks for the friendly info. : ) Glad to know my Jasmine should do well this winter, I was a little worried about it. It looks very healthy and happy right now. I have a drip on it, to water 2 hrs every 2 days, at 4am. It has been hot around 90 the last 4 days or so.
Also thanks for figuring out what zone I am, I looked but was confused about it and could not pull anything up specific to Julian. I hope to get better at the computer quickly. Untill then , Any and all help is wonderful ! : )
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2008
12:47 AM

Post #5130306

The zone maps are probably tricky for you because if I recall correctly you're at higher altitude--most of the areas around you that are at sea level are going to be zone 9, but since you're higher up that can push you into a colder zone. For my guess of zone 8a/8b, I based it on what I know about your climate relative to mine. Since you have snow and that's a rare occurence here I assume you must be in a colder zone than me. And my average winter low temp in Dec/Jan is 37 degrees, vs for you it's 28-29 degrees, so that would put you about a full zone colder than me. So if I'm borderline between 9a/9b, that makes you borderline between 8a/8b.

Around DG most people know the USDA zones so it's helpful to know yours and put it in your info here, but in reality for gardening purposes, you're much better off using Sunset's climate zones. The USDA zones look only at winter low temperatures and don't take anything else into consideration, so you're sharing zone 8 with parts of the Pacific Northwest and parts of the South, and I guarantee none of you have the same climate at all! The Sunset zones factor in winter lows, summer highs, rainfall, and other climatic variables which also impact what will do well for you, so they are MUCH more useful when it comes to figuring out what plants will do well. If you don't have a copy of it, I highly recommend picking up a copy of the Sunset Western Garden Book, they've got great detailed maps showing the various climate zones and then lots of plant listings that tell you what Sunset zone the plants will do well in.
1LittleRed
Julian, CA
(Zone 8b)

June 22, 2008
1:16 AM

Post #5139993

Thanks again, you all are really great ! I will look for the Western Garden Book too.
See ya around, : ) till then keep smiling !
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 22, 2008
1:35 AM

Post #5140102

I ve never been able to get mine to flower at all due to the shorter seasons we have and the winter temp means it starts to grow later, but maybe if you give the outdoor one a good winter mulch it will protect the roots, also some folks hear wrap the protective fleece around theirs to keep the frost and really cold air off the stems, it might help you a bit. WeeNel.
Tannager
Challes les Eaux
France
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2011
6:13 AM

Post #8833981

Hi y'all. I see this is an older thread, but I had the same question as Frenchsuze: can I overwinter my jasmine? I just moved to near Grenoble (zone 7), from Portugal, where my yard was filled with the woozy fragrance of jasmine and datura (brugmansia)... I miss it and was hoping to get a bit of that intoxicating perfume here...

My problem: to plant the jasmine on the side of the house that is protected from winds, I need to plant it in a pot. I am thinking of planting it in a huge pot. It is the south facing facade and has constant sun practically from morning to nightfall... It's on a concrete terrace, so I wonder if it might actually be too dry/hot in the summer...

I also read we can take root cuttings each year and replant in the spring. Does anyone have experience with that?

Any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 3, 2011
6:59 AM

Post #8834035

As with the original question, it would help to know what type of jasmine you have. Some would be hardy in zone 7 but many would not be. If you don't have a Latin name for it, could you post some pictures (preferably from when it was blooming)?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America