Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

June 11, 2008
3:36 PM

Post #5087576

Can someone please tell me if I should plant some Dahlia bulbs that I just bought now ,or if I can store them to plant next Spring ? Zone # 6
Thank you.
grannymarsh
Marquette, MI
(Zone 5a)

June 11, 2008
10:43 PM

Post #5089460

Dahlia tubers should be planted out now. They will probably not keep until next year. Is there a reason you do not want them in your garden this year ?
trioadastra
Ellsworth, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 12, 2008
9:07 AM

Post #5091574

If you don't have a spot for them in the ground yet, plant them in containers.
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

June 13, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #5095576

Good answers...lol...Thank you both.No reason not to plant them now...simply thought it was too late for them to grow and bloom. Right, I do not have a spot for them, but I will just plant them in planters lol..Thank you for responding.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 13, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5096185

Give the tubers a good soak in a bucket of water before you plant them as by now, they will be very dry and poss diseased in parts, so check them all over first, make sure there are no mushy bits or soft brown bits, if there is, cut it off well into nice white flesh, if you plant damaged tubers, the disease will spread while they are in the ground, try to label your tubers so you remember the size and colour of the flowers if you like to grow some colours next to them, they might not give a great show this year due to them being dried out for so long, but with good care, next year they will do really well, if you put them in pots or the garden, place the tubers JUST under the soil, dont bury them like normal plants or bulbs, they like to be in good hot sun, plenty of moisture, so water them often and they also like well rich manured soil for best results, they are greedy plants but well worth the bother, always dead head to keep them flowering for a longer period, they should flower right through till autumn, if you dont get winter frosts, you can leave them in the flower beds, if hard frosts, sometimes best to either mulch around them or lift them out the ground and store them in a dry place till you start them into bud for next summer flowers. good luck. WeeNel.
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

June 13, 2008
11:22 PM

Post #5100260

Thank you, WeeNel...I will now have a busy weekend soaking and planting these Dahlia bulbs...they are so beautiful so I do hope I get blooms even at this late stage !
Lenjo
Mount Angel, OR
(Zone 8a)

June 15, 2008
9:31 PM

Post #5108583

Stormcloud, there are two kinds of flowering bulbs, tubers, rhizomes, corms etc./ the spring blooming stuff that is planted in the fall like tulips and daffodils and then there are summer blooming things like gladiola and dahlias which are planted in the spring and bloom in summer. You are late but not excessively late on your dahlias. You should see bloom. Dahlias are a tuber so it should yield multiple blooms not like a tulip where once it blooms and you pick it ; it is done. Dahlias will continue to bloom till frost. If they are full sized dahlias and not bedding dahlias I would r ecommend the ground instead of pots; you will see lots more bloom in the ground.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
12:08 AM

Post #5119305

Lenjo is right about planting the TUBERS in the ground rather than pots as you will get the tubers to swell out and give you nice fleshy tubers for next year, but in pots, the tuber can dry out and struggle, even if you dont get a huge amount of flowers this year, at the very least you will have good plump tubers for next year and if you add lots of compost/organic matter to the soil as you plant, they will reward you even more, just dont plant them too deep, look out for an eye on the tubers, (eye meaning a tiny little shoot) this is a growing tip and should be only just under the soil in no more, but water them well too. good luck. WeeNel.
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

June 18, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5119900

Thank you Lenjo and WeeNel...in the ground they go !
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 21, 2008
1:43 PM

Post #5137260

Be sure to stake them as you plant them so you won't injure them later on when they get tall. If they're the short type you won't have that problem.
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

October 12, 2008
4:42 PM

Post #5662342

Thank you all...they were fantastic and still blooming ! I have never planted large size Dahlias until this past season !
Some are in planters, I had no idea they would grow so tall !!! Must I remove and store all the bulbs ? Or, can I store them in my little plastic greenhouse to overwinter ? Thank you for your help .

Thumbnail by stormcloud
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2008
5:19 PM

Post #5662422

Beautiful! There's a whole world of wonderful dahlias out there so check online suppliers for a great way to spend a rainy day or two.

Yes, they do have to be dug and stored: http://www.dahlias.net/dahwebpg/TuberStor/TuberStor1.htm
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

October 12, 2008
7:23 PM

Post #5662689

Oh yes...while dreaming of SPRING !
Thank you Pirl !

Thumbnail by stormcloud

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2008
8:09 PM

Post #5662812

You're quite welcome. Now here's a list that can while away many an hour for you this winter: http://www.dahlias.net/dbiglist.htm

Thumbnail by pirl

WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 16, 2008
12:57 AM

Post #5676392

By next month I will be lifting my Dahlia tubers, cut off all the foliage etc when frost starts to turn it black, then sit the short stubs and tubers upside down on your greenhouse bench so all the water contained in the stem and flows out or the tubers will rot, remove as much soil as you can even if it means washing them in a bucket, then let the tuber dry off a bit, I then place them in a Polly bag with some sulphate powder bought from the pharmacy counter, and gently shake the sulphate powder around the tubers as this stops any rot while in storage, then you either lay them on top of a tray with nice new compost, try not to water them unless they start to shrivel, and next spring when you see tiny little eyes (new growing points) form, you can add more compost to cover more of the tuber, when good growth starts, set them out in the garden when all danger of frost or real cold has gone, add plenty well rotted manure to the soil and don't bury the tubers too deep, you do this every Autumn /winter, if when you first see the new growing tips in spring, you can then cut off bits of the tuber to give you more plants, but they must have each got growing tips on the bits you cut off, paint the cut bit with the same sulphur powder so rot dont get to the cut. good luck. WeeNel.
stormcloud
Yonkers, NY

October 16, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5677072

Thank you WeeNel for these very helpful instructions and thank you Perl for sending the link for my Winter perusing...while eagerly awaiting Spring !!
raksha
Pinner
United Kingdom

June 7, 2010
2:45 PM

Post #7867709

Hi there - just wondered if anyone can help me! I bought packs of dahlia bulbs today and was told by the garden centre that soaking them before planting was a good idea, however I have since then heard mixed comments about this. I have already soaked them for 2 hours in my sink and now I have read that this could lead to rot and infection on other websites.
Have I totally destroyed them - or is there still hope?
Hope to hear from someone!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 7, 2010
5:39 PM

Post #7868192

There is hope. Just go ahead and plant them and watch the magic begin.

People who keep dahlias soaked from March through May, before planting, often find the tubers have rotted. That's likely what you've read about but they didn't explain.

Remember to stake the plants and use a slug product if you have that problem as we do in the northeast USA.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America