Photo by Melody

Article: How to Spray Weeds and Insects Without Killing Everything Else: Soap mix won't kill bees, right??

Communities > Forums > Article: How to Spray Weeds and Insects Without Killing Everything Else
bookmark
Forum: Article: How to Spray Weeds and Insects Without Killing Everything ElseReplies: 1, Views: 66
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PosiePoker
Chickasha, OK
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2008
6:09 PM

Post #5093494

Toni-

THANK YOU for this very helpful information!!

With all the emphasis on the bees, I have been very careful not to use any insecticides or products that might harm them. And...unfortunately, the bugs REALLY appreciate my efforts. Now I'm even seeing ants on my squash blossoms!!

I've got to do something, the bugs are getting too strong a foot-hold around here, don't want to lose all the fruits of my hard work. I'll be out spraying with soap water at 6:30 in the morning...thank you!!

I have a lot of ladybugs in my veggie garden and I've seen a few bees in my flowerbeds. Now I know I'm showing my ignorance here, but my question is: The soap mixture will kill squash bugs, aphids, ants, etc. but it won't hurt ladybugs, bees or the 'good bugs', right? And, how often can you treat your infested plant...once a week for 2-3 weeks if necessary?

I knew there had to be some natural weed killers out there too, but hadn't found that info yet. And thanks for the 'spray guard' info too. That would be a tremendous help.

I joined DG this spring...it's been great. Thanks for the help!

Terri
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5097312

Terri. YES! The soap spray will kill any insect it touches! That's why I mentioned spraying very early in the morning or at dusk when the beneficials aren't out. Most bees, butterflies, etc. can't fly until they warm up with the sun.

Also, if you use the spray-guard, you can target the insects you want without accidentally getting the good guys.

BTW, ants on your squash blossoms probably means aphids. Ants don't damage plants.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: How to Spray Weeds and Insects Without Killing Everything Else Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Spray guard, great idea sallyg 7 Jun 9, 2008 5:16 PM
Another little trick for killing weeds jimneyj 1 Jun 22, 2008 5:24 PM
I am going to try this wonderful idea beebonnet 0 Jun 9, 2008 4:02 PM
Excellent! crimsontsavo 0 Jun 9, 2008 5:57 PM
Thanks! heathrjoy 0 Jun 9, 2008 6:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America