Photo by Melody

Article: Gladiolus: Summer's Magnificent Showcase: What about those little cormels

Communities > Forums > Article: Gladiolus: Summer's Magnificent Showcase
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gladiolus: Summer's Magnificent ShowcaseReplies: 1, Views: 15
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
geegadwah76
Farmington, NM

June 12, 2008
7:17 PM

Post #5093806

Thanks Toni for the useful information. But, I have a couple of questions. I live in the southwest, New Mexico to be exact, zone 5. My Glads have been doing well and I don't remove them in the winter. But, now instead of big tall stalks that usually grow, several little stalks are coming up. I dug these up, and the original bulb has turned to a mushy substance. So now I have lots of little (cormels) stalks. My question is can I plant these cormels now? I do have places I can put them so that they may take their time to bloom. Or should I leave them in the ground and wait till fall to transplant? Or should I even mess with these and just plant new bulbs? Any information would be helpful, thanks.
tonileland
Uncasville, CT
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2008
12:35 PM

Post #5097319

Hi!
The little cormels could be dug now and dried for fall planting. I'd do that, since they take FOREVER to mature and bloom! Also, I suspect they are quite crowded, since the parent bulb makes so many. This will also inhibit vigorous growth.

My inclination would be to buy some new bulbs too. You can never have too many glads! LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gladiolus: Summer's Magnificent Showcase Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love those glads.. Sharran 3 May 26, 2008 11:31 PM
Question darius 2 May 26, 2008 6:13 PM
Great information and pics gessiegail 0 May 26, 2008 6:15 PM
Gladiolus Questions belledonna 0 Jun 8, 2009 2:18 PM
Clarification on bulbs FantasyReef 1 Jun 8, 2009 9:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America