Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Passifloras: New Passiflora Aficionado looking for advise and cuttings

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 1, Views: 57
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Slipperman
Portland, OR

June 13, 2008
4:09 AM

Post #5096492

Hey there Passiflora aficionados I am new to DG but I am excited to network some good resources fo rtrading and culture techniques. My vine seems to do well where I have it, medium sun exposure or maybe a little less. I wonder how much organic matter they want and how about drainage, they probably like it, but is it critical? I would really like some advise about propagation techniques. I would also like to learn pollination and hybridization techniques. If anyone has interesting specimens for trade, I have lots of cool stuff on my list, so hit me up. Thank you; Passifloa Possie. Slipperman.
Catssdawg2
Whitesboro, TX

June 21, 2008
1:24 PM

Post #5137193

I'm not sure how they grow in OR but here in N Texas they grow everywhere. Full sun , shade don't matter where you put 1 in at I guararntee(sic) you'll have them everywhere in your yard in 2 years. By the end of the season mine grows up a 10' trellis back down it & another 5-10' across my yard like a fan. Don't take care of it (last year it spent a month in July getting chewed up by caterpillars which turned into a lovely species of butterfly & came back fuller than ever!) don't cut it back - heck it's lucky to get watered qnce a week. They will start from cuttings put in water or from snips w/roots off the main runner roots. I'd offer you some of mine but it's just a standard old fashioned passiflora ( my plant came from a cutting from a friend who had it for about 15 yrs & hers came from her mother's house where it had grown for about 25 yrs before that) plain old purple but does put on a show! Will have 50-75 flowers open at once when it peaks. As for drainage & mulching & such we don't do it here - they would just grow even faster...LOL I have sandy loam soil but I've seen them growing well in even the heavy, dark dirt we get down here. Hope that helps you some & if you want a cutting from an old fashioned Texas one drop me & Dmail & I'll send you some rooted cuttings.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America