day lilies under pine trees?

Columbia, SC(Zone 7b)

I have a bed that I want to plant daylilies in, but it is under pine trees. Plenty of light, water should be fine.

How do they do under pines? When I spaded the bed there were many small roots.

Would I be better off finding a different place for them and plant something else under the pines?

I am in Columbia SC

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Try posting this in the Daylily forum. I've seen pics. of them under pines over there. One of the "hem-heads" will be able to give you a more definite answer !

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

I have some under White Pines (lg trees). They get a little sun and plenty of light. They do bloom, but don't grow as big as the ones I have in the sun.

Ayrshire Scotland, United Kingdom

Pine trees and their falling needles are usually a sign of acidic soil, but then I guess there are all different types of pine, but day Lilies dont really like acidic soil and they may struggle there, also the pines will take all the moisture from the soil so maybe you could make a stone edging around this bed and fill with soil so the day lilies are set into half decent soil to get them going for the first few years, they do like a lot of sun to flower well, without this, you get more foliage than flowers, good luck, hope this helps you a bit. WeeNel.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

I have daylilies in a raised bed under a pine tree. We cleaned out the area, put down newspapers, top soil, composted manure, and composted top soil. They daylilies had been in pots. I tried to loosen the dirt around their roots and planted them in the soil.

So far they are all doing OK!

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

How well they'd do would depend on the exposure and just how far they are from the pines. Mine are quite happy and I don't feed them.

Thumbnail by pirl

They are planted "rather" closely.

Thumbnail by pirl

But they do make for a grand view in summer.

Thumbnail by pirl

If you plant them with the invasive weed (though beautiful and colorful), Houttuynia, you might regret it as I do. As pretty as the weed is it invades all surrounding areas.

Thumbnail by pirl
Ellsworth, WI(Zone 4a)

I have ditch lilies under one very huge pine tree. I've even tested the soil ph, it's 4.5, but they don't seem to mind. They don't even get sun except for a few hours when it's low enough to get at them from the side. They are, aside from ostrich ferns, the only thing that will grow there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.