Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: day lilies under pine trees?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 9, Views: 136
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
pyromomma
Columbia, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2008
12:49 PM

Post #5097364

I have a bed that I want to plant daylilies in, but it is under pine trees. Plenty of light, water should be fine.

How do they do under pines? When I spaded the bed there were many small roots.

Would I be better off finding a different place for them and plant something else under the pines?

I am in Columbia SC
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 13, 2008
2:03 PM

Post #5097633

Try posting this in the Daylily forum. I've seen pics. of them under pines over there. One of the "hem-heads" will be able to give you a more definite answer !
DONNA_11
South Coast, RI
(Zone 6b)

June 14, 2008
10:39 AM

Post #5102026

I have some under White Pines (lg trees). They get a little sun and plenty of light. They do bloom, but don't grow as big as the ones I have in the sun.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 17, 2008
11:43 PM

Post #5119200

Pine trees and their falling needles are usually a sign of acidic soil, but then I guess there are all different types of pine, but day Lilies dont really like acidic soil and they may struggle there, also the pines will take all the moisture from the soil so maybe you could make a stone edging around this bed and fill with soil so the day lilies are set into half decent soil to get them going for the first few years, they do like a lot of sun to flower well, without this, you get more foliage than flowers, good luck, hope this helps you a bit. WeeNel.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
3:53 AM

Post #5125989

I have daylilies in a raised bed under a pine tree. We cleaned out the area, put down newspapers, top soil, composted manure, and composted top soil. They daylilies had been in pots. I tried to loosen the dirt around their roots and planted them in the soil.

So far they are all doing OK!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5127087

How well they'd do would depend on the exposure and just how far they are from the pines. Mine are quite happy and I don't feed them.

Thumbnail by pirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
1:31 PM

Post #5127093

They are planted "rather" closely.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
1:32 PM

Post #5127095

But they do make for a grand view in summer.

Thumbnail by pirl

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5127112

If you plant them with the invasive weed (though beautiful and colorful), Houttuynia, you might regret it as I do. As pretty as the weed is it invades all surrounding areas.

Thumbnail by pirl

trioadastra
Ellsworth, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 22, 2008
8:36 AM

Post #5141149

I have ditch lilies under one very huge pine tree. I've even tested the soil ph, it's 4.5, but they don't seem to mind. They don't even get sun except for a few hours when it's low enough to get at them from the side. They are, aside from ostrich ferns, the only thing that will grow there.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America