-
AuthorContent
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 13, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5098943

Just to tweak all you non-bell folks. This one is ornamental as well as a nice bell. Sometimes it is so dark as to almost appear black.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

David_Paul
Clinton, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2008
10:22 AM

Post #5110535

A supermarket in my town would charge $39.95 a lb for that pepper. Not really but they do charge enough so I don't think of buying anything but green bells (and not many of those). At the risk of perhaps starting something I shouldn't, what is the situation with bell and non-bell folks? I have noticed non-bells are the more popular. In fact this, my second year growing peppers, I have yet to put a bell in the ground. Did not make a decision not to grow bells; I just selected what was most discussed. Am I missing something good?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2008
11:33 AM

Post #5110691

Each has their place. I prefer bells for stuffing, salads etc. I also like frying peppers. I even grow a few hot peppers for seasoning. Some folks probably find other types easier to grow than bells, I don't but it depends on climate and soil conditions. Ripe bells do take a long time, but the colored bells are as easy as green bells. I do notice that this forum is mostly for hot peppers and non-bells and just felt like rattling cages a bit.

Satsuma, which ripens to orange

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 16, 2008
7:32 PM

Post #5112667

They look great, fd.

I'm all about bells as my favorite use is stuffing. Alas, they seem to be shy on the vine and not-so-simple to grow. I do like the non-bells for frying and "dishes", and they do seem to do better in my garden. And a few hot's, of course. None of mine are doing $%#&^ this year - again. I could scream! I swear, next year I WILL start them in January!!!

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2008
3:01 AM

Post #5115002

Farmerdill,

I've become one of the non-bell people simply because I seem to have the Pepper Mild Mottle Virus that stunts all the bells I've tried. I do have some reportedly virus resistant bells planted this year that "may" do better. The one non-resistant variety I planted this year, 'Canary Belle' (a freebee) is showing the characteristics that match textbook description of the mild mottle virus infection. Some of the others look better, and the 'Gypsy', 'Fooled You' jalepeno, and 'San Martin' ancho don't really seem to be affected. This is the first year that I'm growing all my own plants from seeds, but it looks like my garden soil (and implements) were already contaminated by plants from a commercial nursery.

David
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 21, 2008
2:45 PM

Post #5137476

Here is the Mavras at full color. One of the hardiest bells I have tried. It is even outdoing the hot peppers and frying peppers.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill

dreaves

dreaves
Hutto, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2008
3:08 PM

Post #5137561

That is a nice looking pepper!

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5137797

Ummmm - looks good!
paracelsus
Elmira, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2008
3:15 PM

Post #5152234

That is a beautiful pepper, farmerdill. I have not heard of this variety.

I grow mostly non-bells because I like to grow things I could never get at the store at any price. I especially like pimento and paprika types. I did start a couple of bells this year, though, for the first time in ages--Socrates and Hershey. So far my peppers are off to a good start.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2008
3:29 PM

Post #5152289

That's gorgeous!

For the most part, my non-bells just produce better in my garden. Last year, I did get really good results with 'Big Red'. Unfortunately that dang mouse ate both crops of 'BR' seedlings this spring, but I have a few seeds left to try again with next year. :-)
Suze_

(Zone 7b)

June 27, 2008
8:52 PM

Post #5169437

Quoting:Just to tweak all you non-bell folks.

You got my attention, great picture! About how many peppers are you getting per plant?
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 27, 2008
10:26 PM

Post #5169818

Right now 2-3 at a time, Pretty much on par with other bells that I have grown. Usually pick up to 8-10 in September as the plants get size. Of course I won't know til September.
Suze_

(Zone 7b)

June 30, 2008
2:52 AM

Post #5180338

Thanks, Dill. I've placed an order for Mavras, always willing to try something new.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America