Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

will you talk bees with me

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

I have lots of bees (Not sure of species) in the Spring they seem drawn into my area by the henbit. Once Summer comes along I don't notice them as much as I do the bumble bees.

A friend of our family raises bees and needs to place a hive within an area with lots of flowers.He has asked if he can place a hive at our house.

My concern is will the "brought in" honey bees drive off or make it hard for my natural bees to compete for food?

Williamsburg, MI(Zone 4b)

They won't affect the wild bees at all. We started keeping bees a year ago and have noticed no effect on the other types of bees in the yard. I still have lots of bumble bees and other polinating bees. I can't imagine there not being enough food either.

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Jylgaskin! Very good to know.
I feel better about having them around if their not going to crowd out my other garden friends. Our friend said he could set up a hive for us if we wanted one to keep as our own, so this is going to be sort of a test drive.lol I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.