Communities > Forums > Rural Gardening
Forum: Rural GardeningReplies: 2, Views: 35
Add to Bookmarks
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2008
7:24 PM

Post #5099227

I have lots of bees (Not sure of species) in the Spring they seem drawn into my area by the henbit. Once Summer comes along I don't notice them as much as I do the bumble bees.

A friend of our family raises bees and needs to place a hive within an area with lots of flowers.He has asked if he can place a hive at our house.

My concern is will the "brought in" honey bees drive off or make it hard for my natural bees to compete for food?
Williamsburg, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 14, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5100909

They won't affect the wild bees at all. We started keeping bees a year ago and have noticed no effect on the other types of bees in the yard. I still have lots of bumble bees and other polinating bees. I can't imagine there not being enough food either.
Grand Saline, TX
(Zone 7b)

June 14, 2008
2:36 AM

Post #5101133

Thanks, Jylgaskin! Very good to know.
I feel better about having them around if their not going to crowd out my other garden friends. Our friend said he could set up a hive for us if we wanted one to keep as our own, so this is going to be sort of a test I'm sure I'll be back with lots of questions.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rural Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
Share your homesteading experiences and dreams. PeggieK 246 Jul 4, 2012 8:18 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America