Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: goat proof plants

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 5, Views: 53
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladanamy
Barrie
Canada

June 15, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5107401

Help. I am looking for plants that goats don't like. The garden has lots of ceders but I would love to add colour. Are there any bulbs that could work. Any help is appreciated.

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

June 16, 2008
5:32 PM

Post #5112191

Just send those goats my direction. I have 4.5 acres of woods that is just full of poison ivy, grape vine & honeysuckle. I keep looking for Rent-A-Goat advertising but I guess they aren't around here. I would love to have a few for the summer.
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #5127995

Are there any??

"eyes"

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

June 19, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5128583

I wish!!! It might be a good idea though. Mmmmm - now let's see - you could charge either by the hour for however long the goat is there or you could charge by the square footage of the area it cleans of weeds & briars. It would have to be tied since most people wouldn't have fences so you could put a harness on it. Goat's are too good at hanging themselves with collars. Different rates for different size goats & their appetites. Oh well, just a thought. LOL You can tell I haven't had much sleep today.
greenwoodnursery
McMinnville, TN
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2008
7:02 PM

Post #5128655

I believe Georga bought and fenced in goats on the state rightaways to keep the kudzu from controlling everything. lol

Around here, they eat what ever is in their path of destruction. Pretty sure that if they can stand sideways on a mountain, they will eat whatever erosion barrier they can find.

We have even had them in our Barberry patches and our Rosa Rugosa fields! lol
NatureLover1950
Vicksburg, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2008
4:19 PM

Post #5133212

I think goats are the most opportunistic feeders ever created! I can't think of one thing they won't eat.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America