Something to repel snakes

Wauneta, NE

Does anyone know if they make anything that will repel snakes? Wouldn't think they would come to close to the house with the 2 dogs in the yard but would like to try to make sure they stay away.

Thanks
Melissa

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

Melissa... There is something...Tractor supply carries it if you have one...I can't remember the name of it but will see if I can find it for you ...

Dusty

Try this one...

http://www.liquidfence.com/snake-repellents.html

Mothballs and many other so-called snake repellants don't work. Snakes can be discouraged from staying in an area by cutting off their food supply and cover. Mow closely around homes and outbuildings, and store firewood and lumber away from residences. Reduce mulch layers around shrubs to about 2 to 3 inches in depth to discourage small animals. Snakes also are often found in or near mulch piles and compost piles, and under overturned items like wheelbarrows...
I had Blacksnakes in the wells of my sprinkler system in FL where they would lay their eggs...I have no fear of snakes, but that is me...Many men I know, and I'm married to one, who cannot abide the thought of them...

Greensboro, AL

Here they use sulfur to repel snakes. There is also a product called
"Snake Away".

You have to be careful how you place it though, or you will corral the snake IN instead of OUT of where you want it.

Dusty has the right idea. What are you doing to attract the snake, and stop doing that.

Snakes do not like noise. Frequent mowing will discourage them because they don't like the vibrations of the mower.

Also, snakes do not like cats.

At Vandenberg AFB when I was there (100 years ago) there was an infestation of rattlesnakes. The Air Force imported razor back hogs to discourage the snakes. the last I saw of that solution, a group of recruits had gathered for revele. They were being charged by a razor back. They waited for permission to fall out before they jumped away from that charging pig.

Your choice. Snake or Pig.

ROFLLLLLLLLLL... OH What a picture Gloria!!!! Being ex Military, I can see it well...How hysterical!!! I think I'll take the snake...

We had many snakes in Vietnam...mostly Cobras, and none small...I forgave my nurses when they spotted one as long as they promised to get me, hopefully without screaming to scare the patients...many of whom were worse than the girls for screaming when they saw one...I grew up in NC with many snakes, but only 4 I think that were venomous out of about 35 varieties...

Greensboro, AL

I grew up in Michigan. we didn't have any poisonous snakes. I used to chase my brothers with blue racers.

In Alabama there are a lot of snakes, and many are poisonous.
The local attitude is if its a snake, its got to be killed.
The king snakes are predators of poisonous snakes. So many have been killed that the poisonous snakes are now out of control.

We probably have about the same no. of poisonous species as you do in North Carolina.

Greensboro, Alabama incidently was named for Greensboro, NC.
Many settlers here from North Carolina.

I see you are in Ohio now. No poisonous snakes in Ohio, are there?

Incidently, my personal thanks for your time in the military. Military people never get the thanks they deserve from the people who benefit most from their work. Especially, people who served in Viet Nam.

Thank you and Bless you Gloria....My Brothers and I appreciate that...

I summered in MI at my GrandMothers... I know those rascally Blue racers very well....They used to sun on the dirt roads I rode my horses on...Thats how I got my name....My britches were always dusty from landing on my hinnie thanks to a dandy bucking off thanks to a racer in the road that spooked my horse...LOL

Greensboro, AL

Where does grandmother live in Michigan?

I am from near Traverse City.

Dear girl...GrandMother passed in 1985...She was born in 1888...She lived in a tiny town called Flowerfield just south of Kalamazoo off hwy 131...My Dusty britches were back in the late 40's and 50's...LOL.

Greensboro, AL

Well I know where Kalamazoo is. I think we played them in basketball.
I guess if You were in Viet Nam you would not having a living grandmother! I was teaching in San Diego in the 1970s. Many of my fellow male graduate students did service in Viet Nam. We had the draft at that time. They didn't take girls, though. The guys were in the graduate program on the GI bill after their Viet Nam service.

My Mother passed last March of 07 at age 98, so yes.. I am old....LOL

I am so glad that so many of my Brothers were able to overcome and go back to school on their GI Bill...I still find far too many on street corners asking for food...Their mental issues too much for them to deal with.. some, even with VA help...

Enough hijacking the thread... :- )

Greensboro, AL

I think we delt with the snake issue. Good talking to you.

And with you also Gloria... Do please keep in touch!!

Dusty

Hey Melissa!!! I just thought of something...Guinea Fowl are the absolute best for pest control....They eat ticks, kill snakes, grubs, snails etc. and do predator alarms...You might consider getting a pair of them, and forego all the chemical solutions...

Greensboro, AL

They wake you up in the morning, too!

ROFLLLL......Not as bad as a rooster....LOL

Greensboro, AL

I guess its peacocks that my neighbor has. the peacocks wake up my dogs, and then there is no more sleep for me after 5 am.

Wauneta, NE

The main thing I am wanting to do is put something in our cellar. The door to the cellar comes up into the house but is always closed unless we need to go down there for something. Here a few weeks ago I waked back into the laundry room which is the room that the door comes up to and thought I saw something under the door so walked back a little closer and it started hissing like crazy. We have lived here for at least 3 years now and this is the first time that it has happened and hopefuly the last but would like to find something to put down there to hopefully keep them out until we figure out how he got in. Really don't want to have to go through that again cause I am scared to death of them and was so afraid that it was going to be able to get under the door.

Greensboro, AL

You could use the snake away product. But be sure the snake is not in there when you use it or he wont be able to leave.

Install a door *sweep* on your basement door too...They won't be able to get under that in the event there is more than one...

Wauneta, NE

The one that come up by the door my husband and one of the other guys that he works with got him killed right away. Other wise there is no way that I would have been able to stay in the house knowing that it was there. My husband went down and looked around after words and said he couldn't find anything else down there but I still have a hard time going down there. Think I have only walked down there once since and it was a quick trip. Hadn't had any before and talked to the lady that lived here before and she said they never had that happen while they lived here. Just would really like to make sure it doesn't happen again. As far as in the yard I think the one dog would take care of it or get it ran off. He is very good at letting you know if he thinks there is something around that shouldn't be.

Well you could dump a couple boxes of mothballs down there... They aren't the greatest snake repellant by any stretch, but they may run whatever is down there including spiders etc out of there...I still recommend a door sweep..

Greensboro, AL

You could sprinkle some cornstarch or flour or lime where you think the snake might be. He will leave a trail. Snakes don't like lime though in dries their skin.

Greensboro, AL

I agree with the door sweep. If you are afraid to go in the basement, let the dog go in first. He will let you know if there is anything strange in there.

Wauneta, NE

The first time I went down after that I had him go first cause I know I can rely on him. He let me know one day when I caught a mouse in the toy room. If the boy aren't in there we keep the door shut and he was determined to get in that room so I opened the door and he took to the mouse trap.

Well you have a good predator dog... Make use of his instincts, and let him always be there when you open that door to go down...I don't want to frighten you, but it's egg season for egg laying snakes, and you could have a clutch down there...If it was a live bearer, you would already know...Best you use that dog for the next few weeks...

Wauneta, NE

Don't tell me that. It ended up being a bull snake don't know how long it was down there but it was pissed. You know as far as the dog you couldn't ask for a better dog. Hopefully the other one picks up alot of his traits.

Wauneta, NE

When do they usually start laying eggs? How long does it take for them to hatch? Got me a little worried now.

The Bull snake is also known as a Gopher snake...They are egg bearers... If yours was in the cellar, I'm guessing it wintered there and has waited to get warm before trying to get out of the cellar...They lay their eggs in a warm place, as they do NOT care for the eggs once laid...They hatch, and they are on their own...They are actually a wonderful snake to have around as they eat moles, voles, gophers and rats etc...but they DO tend to look like a rattler, and they Will Hiss at you as you said, but are totally non venomous...They will run from you if you have a broom in hand...

Bullsnakes are oviparous and lay about a dozen eggs in the sand or other protected areas where they can incubate without the aid of the female. Late June and into July are common egg laying months. The eggs will hatch in August or September. Baby bullsnakes are just over a foot at hatching (8 - 18 inches) and differ from the adults in having an all around grayish coloration, which is lost after their first shed.

Bullsnakes, like most snakes, have varied ways of reacting to humans in the wild. Some bullsnakes act completely tame right away as if it had been in captivity for years, but the majority react badly to disturbances. Escape is their first line of defense, but if they feel cornered, they flatten their head and spread their jaws giving their head a diamond shape, puff their bodies up with air, and let out a hair raising hiss.

No other North American snake can hiss like a Bull snake can! The hiss is not only loud, but very raspy sounding because a flap of cartilage in front of the trachea that vibrates as air passes by it. Furthermore, bullsnakes vibrate their tails producing a buzzing sound when in contact with leaves or dry grass. This causes many of them to be killed as rattlesnakes. However, timber rattlesnakes have black tails with tan rattles. Both timber and prairie rattlesnakes hold their tails high in the air while rattling; bullsnakes must hold their tails close to the ground to produce noise.

Wauneta, NE

So the possiblity of it laying eggs down there is probably pretty low? Figured out it was there sometime around I think May19-22 if not possibly a little earlier. I just remember telling my brother about it when he was getting ready to come back from Iraq and I think he left there on May 23rd. I know people think it is so funny that I am so scared of them my husband being one of them. But they just don't make a shovel long enough for me to be able to kill them.

No Melissa...I understand... truly I do understand the phobia people have of snakes...Unfortunately the one you had was a GOOD snake, and very beneficial to your property...It was likely waking from hibernation and was on it's way out to do it's thing...I seriously doubt there were any eggs laid this early and it would have needed a mate for them to be fertile... I think you are okay now...But do use something to avoid this next fall when they search for warm places to sleep off the winter...

Wauneta, NE

Talked to my dad earlier to find out what I needed to fix a couple of spots that might be possibilites. He said that he couldn't help for at least a couple of weeks. So when my husbands oldest son comes back out I think I will get him to watch the 2 little ones so that I can go do it myself. Hate waiting of other people gets done faster if I do it myself. Just make the dog go first. People usually have a problem when they find out what he is. But you know I never have to worry about anything with him around. He doesn't let people in the house that aren't suppose to be. He is a boxer/pitbull mix very good dog, the other one is a mastiff/rot mix hopefully when he gets a little older he will be as good. Well hopefully get it fixed in the next couple weeks will have to dig out a little of the floor cause I know there is a small patch that is dirt.

Greensboro, AL

Dusty: What an excellent description! If more people would take the trouble to know the animals in their environment they could let the animals to the good job that they do in keeping down varmints we really don't want.

In Alabama, massacre of the King Snake which is a predator on poisonous snakes, has actually resulted in an epidemic of poisonous snakes.

Here are some photos of California gopher snakes.

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/p.c.catenifer.html

This message was edited Jun 17, 2008 6:25 AM

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I also have a great fear of snakes, ones I can see I don't mind to much, ones I cant, scare the heck out of me when I do see them. On that note, this really really city girl moves to the country. Moved a mobile home on 10 acres had not got skirting up yet. I was out working in the yard and I looked under the house, now mind you I live in Oklahoma, and I seen this snake with red horns. I am thinking viper, just had been to the zoo with one of the kids on a school field trip and had read up on snakes. Vipers do not live here in the wild. You couldn't have told me that tho, I am seeing one. So I go get all the garden tools, hoe, shovel and what not. I hold the shovel by the very tip of the handle and spread my body out as far as I can reach still standing. Could not reach this bugger, BTW he wasn't scared of me at all, never moved. I am like what the heck, so i venture closer with the hoe this time and I am a chopping away at this vile creature under my house. I have to get closer and closer and then I notice legs sticking out of this snakes mouth, I was a little more relaxed to find it to be a garden snake eating a frog. Poor frog.

Wauneta, NE

They don't make a shovel with a long enough handle for me to be able to kill them I would have to get way to close. Had a friend that had a snake as pet which he kept in a glass aquairm and I had the hardest time going in his house knowing that there was a snake in there. As long as they stay away from me we will be fine. That one was just to close to being in my house couldn't handle that. But hopefully will be able to get the areas that I think could be problems taken care of.

Greensboro, AL

Many animals including snakes have a "freeze" reaction to fear. They seem to think if they are very still you wont see them and you will go away.

Usually if they hear your vibrations they will move off. If there are snakes around you can just stomp loudly on the ground and then you are not likely to see them.

This guy might have been busy, enjoying his lunch.

Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

One of the less favorable discoveries we have made now that we have barns is that we have snakes; rather large ones, although non-poisonous. But, on the other hand, we have no rodents. We have at least two resident ones in the barn closest to the house up on the 2nd floor of the barn and although J has tromped up and down into their area a couple of times, he only finally saw them the last time he was up there. They didn't move, and they appeared quite well fed and lumpy.

While I don't LIKE snakes, I also realize that they have a purpose and are helpful at keeping the pest population down. I don't particularly like knowing they are above my head, which is where we keep finding either snakes or their skins - the upper portions of the barns. I have only killed one non-poisonous snake, and that's because it was in my house :) I do draw the line somewhere...lol! So J and I are having a back n forth 'discussion' about their residency. He wants to kill them, since they are so big (over four feet) - I'm not so sure if we should. Obviously they aren't aggressive, so I figure they are doing their intended job - keeping rats and mice out of the barns.

I grew up around them in the rural part of Florida, and many of them were deadly poisonous - especially the coral snake. But they have to get on you and chew, not like the rattlers that made their way into the house on a fairly regular basis. My daughter has boas as pets, so I guess we're a little less squeamish about them than say, my neighbor, who believes the only good snake is a dead one.

What would ya'll do...leave 'em or off them and assume perhaps another, smaller version might camp out in the barns? I don't think that in our type of wood and field environment that we're going to ever completely be rid of them. I just have to figure out how to cohabit peacefully if we don't kill them. For the record, the two types we've seen on property are black snakes and a water snake (also non-poisonous).

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

I am on the same lines as your neighbor, best snake is a dead snake. But they do help with the rodents and such. I am quite sure you will always have them around unless you get some guinnes(sp?), but if you have hawks they will eventually carry them yard birds off. Are cats good for running off snakes? Good luck, I refuse to share my house or outbuildings with ANY uninvited critter.
L2G

Greensboro, AL

Personally, I would never kill a non poisonous snake. And if you do, you will likely see an increase in the rodent population.

I would rather have a snake than even 1 rat. Did you know -- you probably don't want to know -- that rats are made without bladders. They simply urinate continually own their legs. that's what that black trail is where you have rats.

Give me a snake! Also, the larger the snake, the more rats and mice he is eating. So that's why they are so big!

You no doubt have something in your barn that is attracting rodents.
You might put a cat out there, and the snakes might leave from the competition.

Sounds to me like your snakes are doing just what they are supposed to do.

Greensboro, AL

Cats, pigs, and dogs will run off snakes. Cats are the most effective at getting rid of rodents. Im not sure if they are more effective than the snakes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images