Photo by Melody

Beginner Gardening Questions: Mimosa, first time dealing with this beautiful tree.

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 7, Views: 51
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rgsurrett
Raleigh, NC

June 15, 2008
8:19 PM

Post #5108304

My mother lives in an older part of Raleigh NC and I take care of her yard. I have planted lots of Azaleahs and Gardenias in her yard, a few rose bushes with no luck, then suddenly from nowhere a Mimosa starts growing right at the edge of the front porch beside the house, almost looks as it if is coming from under the house. It has grown so fast this year that is is growing over into the dogwood planted in the front yard. My question is whether this will cause damage to the house/foundation, etc? My mother loves the tree, as do I, but are unsure of what to do (cut it down or just prune it), any suggestions. I also just noticed another one growing in front of the house inside of an azaleah, small one about 2 feet tall. Thanks for any help with this. This is the first one I've seen in this neighborhood. On another note, her back yard has bamboo growing like wildfire, but that is another story. Thanks!
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

June 15, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5108321

Anything growing that close to the house foundation would give me cause for alarm, even a shrub. The mimosa is a pretty tree but just not too close to the house as they can be quite invasive. They are pretty at the edge of the property though and the hummers love them and might have "gifted" it to you.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 15, 2008
8:33 PM

Post #5108351

I would get rid of it, definitely not something you want growing right up next to the house. Besides the root issues, it's also a very wide-spreading tree and if you have to prune it to keep it from running into the house you'll ruin its natural umbrella form and it'll look pretty ridiculous.
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2008
3:48 AM

Post #5110016

If your mother likes it, can you move it to a safe place for it to grow? Maybe you can move the 2' one that's in the azalea and remove the one right by the house. Personally, I think they're beautiful trees and have planted two of them. But they're a safe distance from any structure.

They do get very large. I've seen 35-year-old mimosa trees at 40' tall and 2' in diameter trunks, with branches spreading 35' wide and a foot in diameter at the base of the larger branches.

Karen

JulieQ
Cullman, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2008
1:36 PM

Post #5111047

This tree has its issues like many other trees. But, it is a lot of fun, with the "sensitive" little leaves, the cotton candy blooms and the interesting seed pods. It is fast growing and should be shaped up as it grows to keep it in a tree form and not shrubby. If you have one mimosa, you will have hundreds of them... You'll end up with lots of babies.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2008
1:44 PM

Post #5111091

And it's worth pointing out that it's not just babies in your yard that are a problem, this tree is invasive in some parts of the country so I'd find out if it's invasive in your area before trying to transplant it rather than just ripping it out.
imzadi
Jackson, SC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2008
2:48 PM

Post #5111423

i love my mimosa but i do have starts every year though and plenty of seeds but i still love mine.

i wont let them stay near the house but out in the yard i do. if its from under the house and you dont get the roots it will come back after cutting it. have a few like that.

if you can get the whole thing try to transplant it to the yard. i transplant mine and some take and some dont.

This message was edited Jun 16, 2008 10:52 AM
glendalekid
Tuscaloosa, AL
(Zone 7b)

June 16, 2008
3:39 PM

Post #5111676

The woods around here long ago became filled with mimosa trees so it's way too late to worry about invasive. But there are still lots of other trees there, too, e.g. oak, pecan, sweetgum, pine, cedar. Babies from the sweetgum and oaks are the ones I'm always pulling up.

Karen

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America