Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Houseplants: Repotting my money tree

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 4, Views: 38
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ahoover
Toledo, OH

June 16, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5109847

I've been reading a lot of information on my plant, a Parchira Aquatica, since I usually kill many of the plants I get. I thought I would actually try my best to keep this one alive. The instructions that came with the plant says that it needs indirect sunlight, to allow soil to dry between waterings, and to repot every 2-4 months. I have been keeping it in a window sill that doesn't get direct sunlight, so I think it's getting the sunlight it needs. As for water, I bought it in a pot that doesn't drain and the top has rocks that are glued together. I can never tell if the soil is dry or not so I'm afraid that I've been overwatering my plant and I'm also afraid of it getting root rot. Is it ok to keep it in that pot, and if so how much and how often should I water it? Or should I look into repotting?

Thank You in Advance!
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2008
3:06 AM

Post #5109875

Personally I'd probably move it into a pot with a drain hole, I think these plants can tolerate wet feet better than some others but even so I think it'll be better off with some drainage. At the very least you need to get rid of the rocks glued on the top so that you can stick your finger down in the soil and see how wet things are, that's the best way to tell if you need to water or not. There are a lot of variables that go into watering frequency (temperature, size of plant, size of rootball, pot size, etc) so you're going to have to figure out for yourself what's right for your plant and the best way to do that is stick your finger a couple inches down into the pot and see how wet it feels.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
12:31 AM

Post #5119405

I agree with Ecrane about your pot, this type of pot is really so it looks good in the store you bought it from but never that good for the plants once they start to grow a bit more, for a start, you need air into the soil so the roots can breath, you need to let water drain away after you wet the soil at watering times and you also need to make sure the roots are not sitting in a bowl of water rather than damp soil, if your unsure about the next size of pot to get, measure the diameter of the original pot, then go to the garden store with this and ask for a pot 2 sizes up in size, but a bag of indoor plant compost and remove the plant from the pot, this time when you do this, check out the roots to make sure they are healthy, they should not be soft, soggy and black or this is a sign you have had them too wet, next put some soil in the bottom of the new pot, place the plant into this soil a gently add more soil around the sides of the pot, use your finger to make sure you have enough soil going right down the sides of the pot, keep topping up with soil till you know the pot is full, firm the soil with your hands/fingers and sit the pot in a bowl of water till it turns a dark colour, drain any water running from the bottom of the pot and sit the plant/pot onto a shallow saucer, then as Ecrane has said, poke your finger into the soil frequently to let you know if it needs watered, give it a liquid feed when it is growing well every few weeks to make sure it if getting nutrients, stop all feeding when winter or the plant rests for the season, less water too, restart the regime when spring or the plant is growing, if you like the top of the soil to look more attractive, top dress it with coloured gravel that you loosely spread over the top of the pot, Good luck. WeeNel.
ahoover
Toledo, OH

June 18, 2008
3:16 AM

Post #5120433

Thank you both! I have repotted my money tree in a pot that drains and it seems to be doing fine. The only thing is, after I took the tree out of its original pot there was a milky gooey substance in the bottom of the pot. Is this just from overwatering? Also, I have read someplace that if the roots look brown it a sign of an unhealthy plant and I was wondering if this is true since my plant doesn't seem to show any signs of being unhealthy?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2008
4:11 AM

Post #5120680

I've seen healthy roots that still look brownish, probably a lot of it is from dirt stuck on them. If there were any that were brown and mushy that's a sure sign of rot so if you had some mushy ones you should trim them off but otherwise I wouldn't worry too much. I'm not sure what your gooey substance was in the bottom of the pot, but I'm sure it wasn't helping your plant any!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America