Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Ornamental Gourds: Help...disaster produced dilemma, new mystery gourds?

Communities > Forums > Ornamental Gourds
bookmark
Forum: Ornamental GourdsReplies: 5, Views: 71
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
6:36 AM

Post #5110401

The best intentions... ah well...
This sping, in MARCH, I started a nice selection of gourds, including some miniatures, indoors. Everything was id'd (marked the peat pots) and organized so CAREFULLY...
However, one of my CATS (grrrr) somehow was left alone in my room while I was gone one day in early May, and she somehow brought the WHOLE shelving system down.
What I found, when I got home, was a pile of upside down trays and peat pots, all thrown together, tangled vines, many uprooted and snapped completely... it was a terrible day.

I painfully set about trying to salvage SOMETHING from the mess, and saved perhaps a dozen or so out of the 48 that had been thriving just hours before. Out of these, only THREE were still somewhat "in" their marked peat pots. The 6 to 8 surviving miniatures were easy to separate ONLY because there vines and leaves were distinctly more petite; however, I was not able to discern which were cannonball, spinner/dancing gourd, egg, mini bushel or mini bottle...
Of the other five or six, that I guessed to be "standard", I was not able to know whether they were bushel, speckled swan, pear or martin...

I've attached several images. The "mini's" I've been able to set out (finally) as a "gourd tree" all have tiger-yellow-orange blossoms (all males so far), and their foliage has a "maple leaf" appearance (as opposed to the "heart" shape of the standards). Any idea as to which of the above these are??

In another spot, ONE miniature is resurrecting itself from a broken plant, set outside now, but I have no idea as to what IT will be; it's leaves are NOT like the other miniature just described, but oval, heart-ish.

Against the fence, I set out the few "standard" plants I saved, but cannot tell if they're bushel, swan, pear or martin. Can this be id'd by the LEAVES? (see pic)

And last, some (cannonball, swan or bushel) seedlings that had been started just a WEEK before the "fall" must have gotten mixed in with the scattered peat pot soil that I scooped into the "survivor" pots; I separated the babies when they came up and put them in a pot by themselves, but I have NO IDEA now which of the three THEY are...
Do ANY of the pics help ID any of the miniatures or standards?

Also, the color of the miniatures' blossoms worries me, as I've always associated that color with SQUASH, or ORNAMENTAL (not hardshelled) gourds... What are they? I'm hoping someone who grows mini's will be able to at least help me ID the gourd tree mini's...
This was such a terrible, terrible start to the year for me, and I'm almost DEPRESSED that I won't have the crop this year that I planned so carefully for... ;-(

Note to Self (LOL): strap or tie shelves to something sturdy so they will NOT FALL so easily next Spring... (and maybe loosely tie color-coding ribbons DIRECTLY on to a stem or vine of each young plant from now on)...

feeling sincerely gypped,
jip

Thumbnail by jipsi
Click the image for an enlarged view.

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
7:30 AM

Post #5110425

Here is the side yard miniature, also unID'd as of yet...
To the RIGHT are the "tray" seedlings, unplanted as of yet, three of the four are the same, the fourth looks to be different...

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
7:50 AM

Post #5110435

On the back fence, three plants, all mysteries... this one on the left...

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
7:53 AM

Post #5110437

Back fence, in the middle... this poor thing was a BIG HEALTHY 6 foot or longer vine when I put it out (first pic, left)... but heavy rain and several days of wind and mucky cool weather snapped it and left only a little stalk (see right), with the new beginnings of a few leaves (it'll make it, but what IS IT?)

Thumbnail by jipsi

jipsi
Clinton, IL
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
7:55 AM

Post #5110443

Last but not least, on the fence: another healthy transport, (gourds2) but a mystery to me... (it's leaves are DIFFERENT than the "gourds1" vine; compare...?)

Thumbnail by jipsi

Syrumani
Whitsett, NC
(Zone 8a)

June 16, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5111297

jipsi - I feel your pain. I do. Look at it this way, it will be a suprise what is what! (I like suprises) You will still have some of the crop you planted for, you just won't know what is what for a while.

If it's ANY consolation at all, I am going to have to - AGAIN - start seeds for the short handle dipper gourds I have planted along my one fence (the first time it was those stupid beetles). They are just not growing at all. They are all - with the exception of one space - still only about 10" tall. The vines in the one space . . . those gourds start to develop, but wither and die . . . and the vines themselves are not looking good.

I was sitting with DH last night in the backyard, trying to think of what could be wrong . . . and how last year I grew two different gourd types on the fence, and they did fine . . . when I realized that I grew those vines in pots, not in the ground . . .

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Ornamental Gourds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Gourd planter (Part 2) Snake Gourd dave 23 Nov 24, 2009 7:32 PM
Mystery gourd Pala 24 Oct 11, 2008 11:52 PM
My Itsie-Bitsie Luffa Ball plant Morph 28 Mar 8, 2008 11:16 PM
Gourdaholic- looking for seeds from Large Gourd from Nigeria Gourd 35 Apr 6, 2009 4:35 PM
Cattle Guards used as arbors/tunnels (has anyone used them) Gourd 21 May 15, 2007 3:37 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America