-
AuthorContent
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2008
10:43 AM

Post #5110569

Thank you for this helpful and delightful article!
Fitsy
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 16, 2008
2:18 PM

Post #5111275

I second that "thank you". I've been wondering if it's a financial option & I can see where it will be. I'm not too clear about the liner you spoke about. Can you elaborate any on what would work for several years, especially the part about the liner being economical? I love your ideas & all the information you gave. Great article.
cybercrone
Toronto,, ON
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5112223

This might sound kind of gross, but with a clothespin for your nose and some good rubber gloves, would be do-able.

A friend of mine built a huge complicated water feature, pond, stream, waterfall and so on, and he gathered his friends' used clumping kitty litter and pressed it into the dirt sides of his diggings. Handfuls and handfuls of it. And no plastic liner needed.

I don't know where he got the idea, but all the years he had that pond, he never had to renew it.
~m
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 17, 2008
2:51 PM

Post #5116808

I've never heard of that. Hate to ask but did your friend leave the poop in or strain it out, or...exactly how would that work? I have a cat & we use clumping litter & we strain. I'll google it & see if I can get more info. If I can figure it all out what an interesting option for me.

Thanks ~m!
smallplot
Tallahassee, FL

June 22, 2008
7:28 PM

Post #5143290

Most cat litters are made of clay. Clay holds water. I think it would be better as well as less expensive to use the yard clay Jocelyn mentioned although if you were using just clay for a liner it would probably leak eventually if not sooner. I would think it would freeze and crack in northern areas.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
4:53 AM

Post #5171500

omg- i keep seeing that man following a kitty around with a scooper!! LOL

Heres one link i found to the rubber liner. If I remember right it is cheaper than a normal pond liner.
http://flatroofsolutions.com/45mil-Black-EPDM-price.php

I have yet to find any information about how to order Silo Cap online. I have searched and searched. :-(
lemme know if ya need more help!!
davis1676
Disputanta, VA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #5176675

my soil is the good hearty redclay variety smallplot. I'll defintely form the pond in the clay, but it eventually seeps through so I'll need a liner. Most of the ideas I should be able to incorporate though. Good article.

hee hee, what a thought crimsontsavo. I've talked myself out of giving the kitty litter idea any more thought. It may be a solution for some but not me. Thanks for the link & I'll be looking into the possibility of using that a bit further.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2008
7:34 PM

Post #5178546

Id say used kitty litter would be good for planting stuff in..aged litter though!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about the frogs?....... Riverwine 4 Jun 28, 2008 5:04 AM
redneck entertainment Pughbear7 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:05 AM
Cannas, too. glendalekid 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:01 AM
Save the Frogs! colofaus 7 Jun 29, 2008 7:33 PM
My gold fish died in my pond Jorgen 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:00 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America