Photo by Melody

Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial: What about the frogs?.......

Communities > Forums > Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial
bookmark
Forum: Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond TutorialReplies: 4, Views: 148
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Riverwine
Crossville, AL

June 16, 2008
12:33 PM

Post #5110823

I totally agree with Jocelyn... my pond has no mechanical filer, and has been pretty and bountiful with fish and frogs! I just used seven goldfish from a local WalMart, about 17 cents each, and they have multiplied each year! I even have one orange and white one that is now over three years old.
But I consider frogs very essential to a pond, they add humor and activity that you can see ABOVE the water, and they just seem to be the essense of wildlife for a pond. Now if I can just find a solar pump that will be more reliable...
Thank you for this great article! I feel the urge to dig another water garden right now!
TreeSteward
Tilton, NH

June 16, 2008
2:16 PM

Post #5111263

I am not exactly a redneck, I originated in KS, now residing in NH. In my retirement I have created a small pond and waterfall in the sloped back yard near the tree line. I find the frogs and an occasional toad have to watch their back. I have a garter snake that has a food need and tries to satisfy it at my pond with amphibious cuisine. Toads have no chance, but the frog seems to have an even chance of surviving. I am about to try gold fish. I dare not get rid of the garter shake because I have a garden nearby and I am sure he shops for insects and grubs there thus paying for his continuing survival.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 16, 2008
3:13 PM

Post #5111547

Started early morning (about 3 years ago) sunny day, tunes playing, me and my trusty shovel..thank goodness nightfall fell because already I had dug out a pond with tiered level the deepest being 5'.. what was to be a small pond ended up about 20' square..picking up rocks each and every night on my way home from work was my next step..lordy it was work, but well worth it...

From your article I did learn I need more plants..another excuse to buy more..lol

Thank you for your wonderful article...

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 16, 2008
6:10 PM

Post #5112348

How deep would a mini pond have to be to over winter little fishes (like goldfish)? I've always wanted a little pond in the yard, but thought I needed the whole pump, filter and techno stuff.

Bettypauze, I'd love to see a picture of you tiered pond(s), sounds really beautiful!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
5:04 AM

Post #5171527

Well, goldfish really aren't little unfortunately. Theyre carp and get pretty darn big. Now- you can get those small fantail type ones or those other small ones. I try to do my ponds with fish no shallower than knee deep so it doesnt freeze completely. Depending on what part of the country a persons in they may have to over winter theirs in an unheated garage in large tanks/tubs.

Thanks so much guys!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helpful AND delightful Fitsy 7 Jun 29, 2008 7:34 PM
redneck entertainment Pughbear7 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:05 AM
Cannas, too. glendalekid 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:01 AM
Save the Frogs! colofaus 7 Jun 29, 2008 7:33 PM
My gold fish died in my pond Jorgen 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:00 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America