Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Oxalis- the most evil weed of succulent and cactus cultivation: Oxalis

Communities > Forums > Article: Oxalis- the most evil weed of succulent and cactus cultivation
bookmark
Forum: Article: Oxalis- the most evil weed of succulent and cactus cultivationReplies: 0, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anjelika
Santa Ana, CA

June 16, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5111777

I understand your dislike of yellow oxalis. My husband and I have an ongoing argument over it because it so invades his lawn. But I am personally a fan of the cheery yellow plant. During the winter months here in the Orange County area I allow it to completely take over my large garden. In March or early April when the weather turns too warm for it I dig it all under and use it as fertilizer to amend my heavy clay SoCal soil. That apparently is why it is such abundance here. I am told by a nurseryman that it was used in the exact same way long ago by the orange farmers when the county was all agriculture. Also if you pull up a clump (roots and all) and put it in a vase the cheery flowers last for many days in the house.

By the way I admit frustration in trying to pull the plant from my potted cactus. It can be tedious. But I never resort to chemicals. I just grin and bear it or use tweezers. Thanks for the article! I wonder if there are any other oxalis lovers out there. I have several of the more than 500 species and would welcome more...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Oxalis- the most evil weed of succulent and cactus cultivation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
oxalis auntybob 0 Jun 16, 2008 8:20 AM
oxalis in cactus Lo1s 0 Jun 16, 2008 12:33 PM
Oxalis growin 1 Jun 16, 2008 2:55 PM
Oxalis dragonfly53 1 Jun 17, 2008 4:59 PM
Oxalis mustang258 0 Jun 16, 2008 3:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America