Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Oxalis- the most evil weed of succulent and cactus cultivation: Oxalis

Communities > Forums > Article: Oxalis- the most evil weed of succulent and cactus cultivation
bookmark
Forum: Article: Oxalis- the most evil weed of succulent and cactus cultivationReplies: 0, Views: 44
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anjelika
Santa Ana, CA

June 16, 2008
4:01 PM

Post #5111777

I understand your dislike of yellow oxalis. My husband and I have an ongoing argument over it because it so invades his lawn. But I am personally a fan of the cheery yellow plant. During the winter months here in the Orange County area I allow it to completely take over my large garden. In March or early April when the weather turns too warm for it I dig it all under and use it as fertilizer to amend my heavy clay SoCal soil. That apparently is why it is such abundance here. I am told by a nurseryman that it was used in the exact same way long ago by the orange farmers when the county was all agriculture. Also if you pull up a clump (roots and all) and put it in a vase the cheery flowers last for many days in the house.

By the way I admit frustration in trying to pull the plant from my potted cactus. It can be tedious. But I never resort to chemicals. I just grin and bear it or use tweezers. Thanks for the article! I wonder if there are any other oxalis lovers out there. I have several of the more than 500 species and would welcome more...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Oxalis- the most evil weed of succulent and cactus cultivation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
oxalis auntybob 0 Jun 16, 2008 8:20 AM
oxalis in cactus Lo1s 0 Jun 16, 2008 12:33 PM
Oxalis growin 1 Jun 16, 2008 2:55 PM
Oxalis dragonfly53 1 Jun 17, 2008 4:59 PM
Oxalis mustang258 0 Jun 16, 2008 3:22 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America