Photo by Melody

Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial: Save the Frogs!

Communities > Forums > Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial
bookmark
Forum: Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond TutorialReplies: 7, Views: 99
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
colofaus
Macksville
Australia
(Zone 10b)

June 16, 2008
11:27 PM

Post #5113684

I don't ever put fish in my stream/pond system, because they eat the Tadpoles from all our native frogs and everyone knows that a garden with lots of frogs is the healthiest garden around! Of course the garden has to be organic - no insecticides or inorganic substances of any kind! The only trouble with this approach is the wretched "mozzies", a lot of people think that "Taddies" eat mosquito lavae but they actually eat vegetable matter so you have to have flowing water to, at least minimize the mosquitoes especially on the coast where I live, at dusk the little horrors will pick you up and carry you away.
Frogs are vanishing around the world at an alarming rate and I encourage anyone who can to provide them with some form of habitat.
Col Richardson

Thumbnail by colofaus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2008
12:39 AM

Post #5114108

I must have the healthiest pond around *groan*... AND it's bullfrog mating season!!! I'm going deaf! The green frogs haven't started yet, but they're loud, too.

My pond is about 1/2 acre: it was built about 30+ years ago for swimming by the original owners, but nature (and I) took over. The frogs came hopping over from the surounding wetlands. I'm not sure how the bullfrogs got there.

If anybody wants frogs, they are welcome to mine!!!
Pyewacketcat54
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 17, 2008
2:14 AM

Post #5114774

Jax,
I know what you mean about the noise,but my cats sit out in the plantroom at night in the windows and watch for them.Cheap entertainment for the cats.LOL
Did you know,or is it reallt true,that bluebirds eat frogs? I read it somwhere today,and I have both...
TeeAnny
Greenville, NC

June 17, 2008
3:15 AM

Post #5115080

I have goldfish in my 2 year old pond. Last year and this year, many,many tadpoles were/are in it. If the fish ate any, it wasn't apparent. While walking around the pond, you see scores of baby toads hopping around. I started out with 15 'feeder' fish from PetSmart. Soon I had over 100. A red-bellied water snake got some. I gave away over 70. Right now I have 8 of my original and about 20 of the babies. I had a few frogs, but I think the snake got them, too. An Eastern King snake showed up last week and got the water snake. Quite interesting. Ponds are great entertainment. I never know what will show up next.
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 17, 2008
4:49 PM

Post #5117361

I have heard that a bullfrog will eat anything it can fit in it's mouth, including small birds! The green frogs (toad and leopard frogs, too) seem to manage OK, though. The best thing the bullfrogs have to offer (besides their comical appearance) is that they attract the big herons to my pond- I startled a white egret yesterday, and commonly see blue and green herons poking around. Last year, a fledgling cormorant crash-landed at my feet and immediatly assumed I was it's mother! I have kingfishers, too.

My kitten, Jax, can't seem to see the frogs! He sees something jump, but their color just doesn't register. I've picked up frogs and have shown them to him, but he has no reaction. HHmm, he sees voles, moles, mice and baby birds just fine.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
4:57 AM

Post #5171506

If ya want fish and want no taddies to perish, you cna always have...2 ponds! See, there's you excuse to make another! lol

I haven't seen herons at ours yet. Im sad but happy LOL.
My poor fish has been eaten by a snake and been poisoned. Both times he managed to pull through. Yup, EATEN-swallowed whole until i poked the snake and he coughed him up. LOL
Jax4ever
Boxford, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 28, 2008
4:38 PM

Post #5173114

We are very lucky that, since many pesticides have been banned, Nature is coming back strong! We just have to be sure to try and not get too attached to little fish that everything else sees as LUNCH!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5178542

Yup, never get too attached!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helpful AND delightful Fitsy 7 Jun 29, 2008 7:34 PM
What about the frogs?....... Riverwine 4 Jun 28, 2008 5:04 AM
redneck entertainment Pughbear7 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:05 AM
Cannas, too. glendalekid 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:01 AM
My gold fish died in my pond Jorgen 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:00 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America