One Habit You Don't Have to Give Up

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I can keep drinking my morning coffee... :) YAY!

http://www.abcnews.go.com/Health/Diet/story?id=5179489&page=1

I'm sure a research study in another 6 months will try & prove it's bad for me, then another will say it's okay ..

But for now, pass the cream & sugar...

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I agree, someone somewhere will find something wrong with any thing we do and do research to prove it. Research can prove about whatever the researcher wants it to prove.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Hey, Jen - One of my customers gave me the following article to read. He's a cardiologist and heart surgeon at Ohio State University and so interesting to talk to (and very funny!).

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/17/science/17objava.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=coffee+aroma&st=nyt&oref=slogin

Quoting:
Just Smelling the Coffee Can Wake Up Genes

By HENRY FOUNTAIN
Published: June 17, 2008

If you’re the type of person who perks up in the morning at just the smell of fresh-brewed coffee, you are not alone. There are some laboratory rats you should meet.

While countless studies have looked at what occurs when coffee is drunk, far fewer have examined the effects of sniffing the aroma, which contains many volatile compounds. So Han-Seok Seo of Seoul National University and colleagues exposed stressed-out rats that had been deprived of sleep to coffee bean aroma and then evaluated the effects by performing genetic and protein analyses on brain tissue. They compared the results with tests on other rats, including some that were sleep deprived but not exposed to coffee.

As they report in The Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, they found that the expression levels of 13 selected genes were different between the stress-with-coffee rats and the stress-only animals. With 11 of the genes, levels were higher for the stress-with-coffee group; with the other two the levels were lower.

Since proteins are among the products of gene expression, the researchers also identified proteins that were differentially expressed between the two groups of rats. For instance, one protein known to have an antioxidant function had a higher expression level among the stress-with-coffee group.

The researchers say the study is a first step toward understanding the effects of coffee aroma. One intriguing question, they say, is whether it is better to smell coffee than to drink it when trying to stay awake all night.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

*mmm.. sniff sniff sniff*...

Pass the cream & sugar!!!

Waaaay Down South, GA

I ain't gonna give up my coffee! LOL Not my Lattes either. They can have my fatty hamburger, my fatty pork chops an even my salt ... but *not my coffee!!! LOL

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I agree, Susan. I don't drink coffee because my stomach won't handle it, but I get my caffine thru generic Excedrine. I can sometimes get away with hot cocoa with a little bit of coffee in it. I love the smell and usually the flavors of coffees.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have my favorites at work, and when I grind them to brew the smell is wonderful. Mmmmmm.

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Give up my coffee?? Give up sitting out on my deck in the early morning sunshine and listening to birds sing and the cool southerly breeze whisping through my palm trees while the sweet scent of my roses drifts with the breeze and the serenity of the morning allows me to plan my beautiful day while I'm sipping one of my specialty varieties of imported coffees? NEVER - EVER NO MATTER WHAT (LOL)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I know, it's too much of a package deal, isn't it? It's just not the same with herbal tea. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images