Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Herbs: Spitbugs on rosemary?

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 1, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Anitra
Seattle, WA

June 18, 2008
12:13 AM

Post #5119332

I have noticed some stands of lavender around the city with wads of white foam at almost every fork, and been thankful that nothing like that was in my herb garden. Maybe I was a little proud. Yesterday I noticed little white wads of foam on a few stalks of my rosemary. I want to get rid of the critters causing this, fast, before my bushes are covered like others I've seen.

I've read that spitbugs, or spittlebugs, can be "washed off with a strong stream of water" -- won't that just land them on other plants?

This message was edited Jun 17, 2008 5:16 PM
Tuinkabouter
's-Gravenhage
Netherlands
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2008
7:03 AM

Post #5121057

You can wash them off with water and the grubs will drown. However, this is not a harmful bug and the "spit" will disappear in a couple of weeks when the beetles have hatched. There's no real need to get rid of them...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America