-
AuthorContent
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
3:30 PM

Post #5122509

As you can see my beluverd cacti has a strange cardbord substance on it and i dont know what it is!! and if you look at the outher pics there is also some black stuff on the bits that are coming off and a little on the eges of the main stem if this helps i have always warted them about 1-2 a month and thay have been sitting on my south facing window sill and also i have a plastic greenhouse if i have to use it tell me you probaly have notest a completly diffront cacti with the same cardbord stuff on the bace i have had this one for 2-3 years and the problem only started 2-4 months after cristmas same with the first one and the black stuff on the first one only started when i put this cacti outside(i think) and weve had a bit of rain recently so it could be overwaterring but as i said im not sure i started when i put it outside
MANY THANKS TO ALL THAT HELP ME
P.S THE BLACK STUFF AND THE CARDBORS STUFF DONT FELL MUTCH DIFFRONT FROM ACTAL CACTI IT SELF
MANT THANKS CACTIBOBO

Thumbnail by cactibobo
Click the image for an enlarged view.

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5122513

HEARS THE OUTHER PICS

Thumbnail by cactibobo

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
3:32 PM

Post #5122516

AND THE LAST

Thumbnail by cactibobo

Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 18, 2008
5:18 PM

Post #5123036

The first photo looks like it may simply be normal woody growth that happens (at the base) with maturity.

The other two photos are too blurry. They may be normal, too, but I'm wondering if they may be dry rot, which has happened to some of my Euphorbias in the past when I've overwintered them. Mine developed dry rot from lack of light and lack of water combined.

Can you get clearer photos of the last two?
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 18, 2008
6:21 PM

Post #5123299

ill try but my didgy camra is out of actaon at the moment this is my mob phone i got this plant from ny nans next doornabor as a sideshoot and hers seems to have the same woody groth so that is probaly the anser to that problem but stil doesent explane the woody groth stuff on the last pic i dont think it could be that as the plant is 3-4 (maby five) years old and i got it that big and it dosent to have seemt to grown a bit since then but there and again i could just be a very slow growing cacti and i havent notast and the black stuff ny nabor sugested it could be some sort of insect that likes cacti and that would make it clere about it happening when left outside i was thinking to cut off all the black bits DO YOU RECOMENT THIS OR SHOULD I JUST PUT IT INDORS AND SEE IF THERE IS ANY THING ELS I CAN DO also the black bits are defeantly not noral as my nans nabors pland doesent have them and i do not know anyone with the last cactus so i cant chek that prob
the pics will prob be on hear tomorrow
MANT THANKS!!!!
CACTIBOBO
Nan
SW, WI
(Zone 4b)

June 18, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5123344

Since the term you use is 'cardboard', I'm assuming that this area is 'hard' to the touch - not soft or mushy? If it's not soft or mushy, then I do think it's just the aging growth of the Euphorbia - perfectly normal and nothing you can do about it.

How about the black spots? Are they firm or soft?
I just noticed that you'd stated you'd put them outside -
Did you acclimate them to the sun gradually or place them directly in the sun from inside the house? If so, the 'black stuff' could be sunburnt areas that have rotted.

Try putting your plant up against a solid color background to take a photo - maybe that will help make the photo clearer - your camera phone doesn't seem to know what to 'focus' on.
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2008
1:01 AM

Post #5125153

The first photo looks like normal woody growth to me also. The second photo I can't see clearly to even tell what's going on with it, and the third photo looks like either dry rot or possibly rot from too much water.
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 19, 2008
6:52 AM

Post #5126317

iput them south facing straght outside but near a wall so they dont get the full day of sun only from12-1-2 o clock till dark but when i put them outside it was hot and about 4 o clock ill get the pics after school
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 19, 2008
3:23 PM

Post #5127567

hears the outher pics h hope that they are better and it could just be sunburn as the black bits are only on ome side thank you loads
cactibobo

Thumbnail by cactibobo

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 19, 2008
3:25 PM

Post #5127580

and a nouther

Thumbnail by cactibobo

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 19, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5127586

and the outher

Thumbnail by cactibobo

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 19, 2008
3:26 PM

Post #5127592

yet anouther

Thumbnail by cactibobo

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 19, 2008
3:27 PM

Post #5127597

some more

Thumbnail by cactibobo

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 19, 2008
3:28 PM

Post #5127601

anouther

Thumbnail by cactibobo

plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5128835

I see that you are not a paid subscriber so you cannot access the cacti/succulent forum. I will post a note over on that forum and maybe one of the experts who grows cactus will come over here and take a look at your photo's.
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 19, 2008
8:03 PM

Post #5128895

thank you very mutch plantladylin for all the help you have been giving me over the last few days and thanks for the note to the cacti forum
cactibobo
bagel_k
Central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2008
2:44 AM

Post #5130929

Plant in first two pictures is Euphorbia, not a cactus. It looks like sunburn to me. Place it in part shade, and move to full sun gradually over a week at least. Moving plant from indoors right into 12-2pm sun, is probably too much for it. Second plant is cactus (Cereus?), it does look like dry rot, as plantladylin said. Check if the base is firm, and try (very gently) to pull it up. If it is dry rot, it probably has lost its roots already. I had one cactus with dry rot late last summer, I had to cut off about 1/3 of it, and re-root the healhy part. It worked!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2008
2:50 AM

Post #5130951

I wonder if your Euphorbia is this one: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/57020/ and another: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/58093/
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 20, 2008
11:28 AM

Post #5131909

will the sunburn bits refresh themselvs or will i have to cut the black bits off and the dry rot i seems to be on one cacti and on one side only (the rest seems to be helthy) so should i cut he cacti down and cut the rotton bit off and the replant it mant thanks
bagel_k
Central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2008
3:18 AM

Post #5140543

The sunburn (ie grey-brown spot) is permanent damage and it will stay, but it will be less visible as the plant grows. Check the black spots: do they feel dry and firm or soft and wet like rot? If it is rot, you'll have to cut it out to healthy part, and use some fungicide on it to prevent spreading. If it feels dry and doesn't spread, I still would use some fungicide to be safe. Be careful when cutting Euphorbia, they have toxic sap, make sure it doesn't get into your skin and eyes!

For damaged cactus, if the brown spot in one side only, it may be a sunburn too. Check if it stays the same or propagates. If it is sunburn, it will stay the same without change. I am not really an expert, but I have some cacti and Euphorbias, and this is what I'd do.

Good luck.
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 22, 2008
7:23 AM

Post #5141089

desarster i came home from school and the Cereus the one with big thorns had fell over and got almost snapped half way down and at the top half the top has broken off complaetly
also the gray stuff on the Cereus is hard but it is not affecting the juicy bits inside as there is a smallish hole where the grey stuff is i can see the green wartery stuff and it only is on the skin also the top is very wet witch sugests the grey stuff isent doing any harm
what do i do about the brakeges
many thanks cactibobo

Thumbnail by cactibobo

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 22, 2008
7:25 AM

Post #5141091

the half way down breakage

Thumbnail by cactibobo

cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 22, 2008
7:26 AM

Post #5141094

the top breakage

Thumbnail by cactibobo

bagel_k
Central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2008
5:12 PM

Post #5142793

Why did it fell? I mean, the whole pot fell or just this one cactus? Does it still have any roots?

If it does have healthy white roots, and there is no rot, cut off damaged top part with clean knife (wash it well, or wipe it with rubbing alcohol). Either cut off the top part, or in the middle there it has crack). Then replant it in a dry cactus soil mix. Wait for few days before watering it. It won't grow from the top as it did, but it will grow a lot of babies from its top.

If it doesn't have any roots left, it may be dry rot. You will have to reroot it (or buy another one). Check bottom part very carefully, you may need to cut off all the brown stuff untill only healthy white part is left. If you decide to reroot it, there shouln't be any grey/brown stuff inside cactus. After cutting it, put it in shade and let it dry for a week. Meanwhile, search the internet about re-rooting cactus. There is lot of usefull info there.
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 22, 2008
8:31 PM

Post #5143527

it was the whole pot but as this cacti is the tallest one it hit the ground first and broke all three have white roots i think but the cacti are in a smaller plastic pot wich is in the clay one and the fall made the small pot come out of the clay one and i could see there are roots comming out of all three holes and all these roots are white and healthy so i might just put one in a pot each also how do you go about repotting cactus with 1 inch thorns many thanks
cactibobo
bagel_k
Central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2008
8:54 PM

Post #5143607

That's really good news! if they have roots, they will be fine. Make sure you repot them in well-draining cactus mix. Easiest one to make is to use 1 part cactus mix sold in stores plus one part perlite (also sold in Lowes and HD). Or mix regular potting soil with lot of perlite or small gravel (I use one sold for aquariums in Walmart). To pot cactus with thorns, I use large paper towel folded many times to make a band, then use it to hold my cactus. Some people use old newspapers instead. See here for example: http://cactuslover.blogspot.com/2006/12/repoting-your-cactus.html .
Repot cacti into a container only slightly larger than the rootball. If the container is too large, the soil may stay moist too long and lead to rot. After repotting, wait several days before watering first time. You may need to add larger stones on top to keep tall cacti from falling over before they take root.
cactibobo
norwich
United Kingdom

June 23, 2008
6:41 AM

Post #5145596

what is perlite is it like a grit as you probaly see i live in the uk so as you probaly know we call our things difronly from amaricons wich looking at the bit where you live is where you live also that website is very intresting many thanks
cactibobo
bagel_k
Central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 23, 2008
3:44 PM

Post #5146988

According to these websites:
http://www.perlite.net/ and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perlite , perlite is expaded rock/glass which is very light and porous. It is sold in big box stores here as a soil amendement.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America