Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: What's wrong with my Snapdragons?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 12, Views: 123
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 18, 2008
11:34 PM

Post #5124837

What's wrong with my Snapdragons? There really yellowish. Here's a pic...

Thumbnail by Dean_W
Click the image for an enlarged view.

gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
3:04 AM

Post #5125734

I am guessing two reasons. One is the heat wave we are having and the other is that snapdragons are heavy feeders. I always feed them at least every other time I water them. (I just use Miracle Grow 15-30-15) When I did live in zone 8 (I am in zone 9 now and grow them in the late fall for early spring blooming) I still planted my snaps in November as they could easily take down to 25 degrees. Then they bloomed in early spring.

Maybe someone else grows theirs differently or has a different answer.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2008
3:38 AM

Post #5125926

gessiegail, thanks I haven't been fertilizing enough I guess. It sure has been hot to. Breaking records everyday now.
JasperDale
Long Beach, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 20, 2008
4:16 AM

Post #5131279

Snapdragons are basically a cool season annual, so seeing how you are in Texas, I would think the heat is the problem, given the time of year.

Mine fried about a week ago when we had temps in the 90's. They were pretty well finished by then anyway, since I planted them in October.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2008
4:42 AM

Post #5131358

the likelihood is that it's the heat. the relatively new plant available in nurseries known as "summer snapdragon" is angelonia. thes are beautiful, colorful plants that can take the heat and come in a wide variety of colors. they look too delicate for full sun, but they can take it. half-day sun would be even better.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #5132198

Thanks you all for the input. I had the seeds and thought I would try them out. It has been in the hundreds here. There also in full sun most of the day. Maybe I'll pull them out and plant some marigolds or Amaranthus there instead.
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2008
1:13 PM

Post #5132288

I can't think of anything worse than marigolds at this time of year. The spider mites will come from adjacent counties to suck the life out of them. Marigolds are spring and fall annuals. The dogs days of summer are already here. Periwinkles might be your best choice right now.
gessiegail
Taft, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2008
2:54 PM

Post #5132818

Periwinkles are about the only annual we can grow in this 100 plus temps.
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2008
6:48 PM

Post #5133984

Okay, I think I have some periwinkles. I have to dig through my seeds to check.

Thanks
dp72
Woodway, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2008
10:56 PM

Post #5134886

Good luck with your seeds. If you enjoy germinating them, that's the way to go- except, the summer will be over before we know it, and most annuals, including periwinkles, slow down when the weather begins to get cool and the days shorter. I think the shortened days are the main factor. Lots of places are selling plants at good discounts now that Memorial Day is over. The plant sections are virtually empty of customers. If you are willing to buy your plants in 4 inch pots, you'll have weeks advantage over sprouting seed. Just a thought. Growing flowers is for the pleasure we get from it, and if it's more satisfying for you to grow everything from seed, then go for it! Best wishes

DP
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 21, 2008
3:05 AM

Post #5135967

Thanks, DP!
Catssdawg2
Whitesboro, TX

June 24, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #5150367

My snaps started doing the same thing & I just cut them back & they are re-blooming again like crazy - don't fertilize them & they are in almost full sun. I found that if you can catch them before they stop blooming & cut them back ( I just take the hedge shears & whack the tops off completely ) that you have a good chance of them surviving but if they are already wilting they are gone. Have to go w/dp72's suggestion of summer snaps - I have a full southern exposure & I plant them everywhere out front & they do fine. They do even better if you can plant someplace that gets a little relief from the late afternoon sun. I had 4 I planted around my fountain that got almost 3' tall & about the same around the girth - the cats could hardly find the fountain through the summer snaps & they stayed till 1st frost.Plus they smell like grapes unlike their smaller cousin the regular snap. The perrriwinkles do the same & mine most have dropped some seeds because I have them coming up everywhere this year. Vinca major does the best around here. I rarely have to by more than a couple of small 6 packs of them & they usually end up trying to take over the bed I planted them in - my pinks,corals & purples are almost 8" tall already & not even really blooming yet.Hope that helps & Happy Gardening from N Texas y'all
Dean_W
Central Texas, TX
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2008
2:55 AM

Post #5150447

Catssdawg, thanks for the advice. Mine are still young. Have't bloomed yet. I did intersperse some other seeds with them, but didn't have the heart to pull them out. I put some epsom salts and increased the fertilizer and they are starting to green up.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America