Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Fruit: Blueberries have no fruit

Communities > Forums > Beginner Fruit
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FruitReplies: 3, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Daisy142
Rome, GA

June 19, 2008
2:01 AM

Post #5125390

I have 5 blueberry bushes (types unknown) planted in a row. Only 1 of them has any berries. All are over 4 feet tall. Does anyone have any ideas as to why some do not have any berries?
Thanks so much.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

June 19, 2008
3:45 PM

Post #5127697

Wrong type or you got caught by a late frost. I grow rabbiteyes and southern high bush with few problems. Actually none for the rabbit eyes. The northern types may be "iffy" even in Rome. Soil needs to be acidic but that would show up in the appearance of the plants before fruiting.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Daisy142
Rome, GA

June 23, 2008
2:21 PM

Post #5146645

This is a picture of the blueberry bush that is not fruiting. Could the dry weather of 2007 have had an effect on the lack of fruit?
Thanks for any input.

Thumbnail by Daisy142
Click the image for an enlarged view.

PamelaQ
Navarre, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2008
4:23 PM

Post #5152542

I don't know if this applies to your bushes or not, but I read this:

The wild blueberry bush has a 2 year cycle, which means that every other year a blueberry bush will produce berries. During the year that no berries are produced, the farmers try to help the vegetative growth to increase. This helps the general health of the blueberry bush as a whole plant. During a blueberry-producing year, the plant is prepared for an August harvest, when the blueberries will be ready for picking.

This is where I read this from: http://www.meliving.com/wildblueberries/index.shtml

This message was edited Jun 24, 2008 11:25 AM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Fruit Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blackberries, blueberries and strawberries... RyanandRachel 15 Mar 9, 2007 9:11 PM
Cuttings from Old Apple Tree wildgardengirl 4 Mar 16, 2007 4:08 PM
Strawberries HighCntryGrdnr 18 Sep 4, 2012 6:23 PM
wondering about the fig trees sslopoke 4 Apr 14, 2007 12:26 AM
Queen Ann Cherry Trees lafko06 1 Apr 16, 2007 2:25 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America