Photo by Melody

Heirloom Vegetables: Where to buy seed now?

Communities > Forums > Heirloom Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Heirloom VegetablesReplies: 9, Views: 188
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5125583

I bought some seed from ebay and apparently it is no good.

Now I want to buy heirloom carrot, beet, and asparagus seed.

Any recommendations where I might buy some seed quickly and for a decent price? I checked out a few sites and one site said they wouldn't be mailing out seed for a month, the other one said 2 weeks.

Karen
stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2008
7:13 PM

Post #5138481

I just received plants from this company and they are gorgeous and were supremely well packed. I'm shopping here for seeds next. Don't know if they're more expensive than others, just know they are what I want.

[HYPERLINK@www.naturalgardening.com]
Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5138565

Wow! What a great sight. I can hardly wait for my garden to start producing!

Sorry, Karen. I don't know for your area. For us, anything not planted by now has to wait for next season...groan!
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #5138732

Well I may be wasting my time too. I am a very inexperienced vegetable gardener. I am absolutely delighted that I have potatoes growing and some garlic and corn and okra and squash. I did not plant this squash and it is HUGE. It just came up on it's own from the compost. I thought it was watermelon at first. It's the only part of that side that looks good, and I didn't even plant it. lol

I was quite interested when someone mentioned some book called Four Season Organic Gardening or something. I thought that would be great to garden vegetables in the winter. Don't you think? As long as it isn't too expensive to set up. I've even considered getting some kind of grow lights and growing veggies indoors.

At least this way I know what has been sprayed on it and what kind of fertilizer was used.

Karen

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2008
9:04 PM

Post #5138902

I'm very lucky to live in a place where we can some kind of veggie growing outside year round. Your zone isn't listed in your info, Karen, so don't know how severe your winters get. Here we can start summer veggies up until August because it doesn't get cold until November most years. I love knowing where my veggies come from.
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2008
10:41 PM

Post #5139375

Well I am right on the border of zones 6 and 7.

Maybe some day I'll figure out how to put that under my name.

Karen

stellapathic
Cambria, CA
(Zone 10a)

June 21, 2008
11:03 PM

Post #5139462

Karen, look at the top and click on My Tools. Then on the right hand side of that page you'll see "preferences" and under that "location." Do it there.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 22, 2008
1:08 AM

Post #5139966

I'd recommend Chioggia beet, an Italian heirloom. It is available from many sources but I recommend Johnny's Seeds. Also, Danvers Half-long carrot dates back to the 1800's and would be a good one. (Also available from "standard" seed suppliers" at reasonable rates.)

As for asparagus, you'd be better off going with some crowns (two years old, preferably) rather than seeds; that'll get you off to a quicker harvest. The old stand-by "Mary Washington" is a great one!

The Four Season Harvest is a book by Eliot Coleman. Your best bet would be to find it at Abebooks.com (formerly Half Price books). Yep, that's a good'n!

Happy Gardening, Karen!
Shoe
feldon30
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2008
4:53 PM

Post #5147371

http://www.heirloomseeds.com/

very affordable, fast service
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2008
11:17 PM

Post #5154440

Ty for your help everyone.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Heirloom Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Fermentation Brook 56 Oct 13, 2008 10:56 PM
Carolyn, Tell Us Please..... Brook 22 May 19, 2014 7:30 PM
Antique Ornamentals anyone? planman38104 55 Feb 24, 2009 6:05 PM
Does anyone grow Crinums? planman38104 18 May 28, 2008 11:44 PM
Your absolute favorite heirloom tomato Phred 321 Jul 30, 2011 7:54 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America