Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: PawPaws, Anyone??: Distribution map

Communities > Forums > Article: PawPaws, Anyone??
bookmark
Forum: Article: PawPaws, Anyone??Replies: 38, Views: 245
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2008
4:51 AM

Post #5126156

They're in Kentucky! Cool! I don't recall ever seeing any in our woods...wonder if I could plant some? According to the USDA state distribution map, they're here in Campbell county somewhere. Now I have a mission, lol. Thanks, Sharon!

http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?searchTxt=Asimina+triloba&searchType=Sciname&stateSelect=US21&searchOrder=1&imageField.x=27&imageField.y=5

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 19, 2008
12:30 PM

Post #5126869

My pawpaw (what they call grandpas in West Virginia) loved these and grandma still has several planted in the yard. The tree species of asimina doesn't grow this far south in Florida, but we have several species of small, shrub-like pawpaws. I've been collecting seeds lately from asimina reticulata because I raise butterflies and Zebra Swallowtails are my favorite. I wonder if the fruits of the shrubby kind taste anything like the larger tree variety. When I was opening them to get the seeds they did have a pleasant tropical smell.

Melanie
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 19, 2008
12:53 PM

Post #5126955

Sharon, now cut it out!! You keep reminding me of things that I should be doing. I spent the first year here hoping to find some wild Pawpaws around here, and never did. Managed to block it out of my mind. Now it's back. Got plenty of "uppity" fruit trees, but not the natives that I _should_ be concentrating on. Sigh. Back to the hunt. Grumblegrumblegrumble :):)

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2008
1:08 PM

Post #5127006

I came across a bunch of them in the wild here a couple of years ago. If I can relocate them this fall I'll try and get some for seed for anyone who wants them.
threegardeners
North Augusta, ON

June 19, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5127207

OMG...that map says they grow in Ontario!!!
Now I just have to find some, or plant some, or something...
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
2:58 PM

Post #5127450

I wish they would grow on my side of the country!!
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

June 19, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5127767

That was such good information! Neighbors cut down a tree shading one of my PawPaw seedlings - but since it is probably in it's third year - it is OK. Whew!
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 19, 2008
4:55 PM

Post #5128099

Postman, that would be great if you can get some seeds to share--put me on your list, please! Thanks!
libellule
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 19, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5128752

I saw these everywhere when I lived on the plateau in TN but I never knew they grew here. That map shows them in two counties that touch my own. To think, I could have had them here all along. I'll have to get out and look for them down here now!
Thanks for the article, lots of good information.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

June 19, 2008
8:10 PM

Post #5128923

Thanks Shar for another interesting article, Threegardeners, if you find it could you let me know and I'll do the same...now we're off on another adventure of our own..lol
Sashagirl
Davenport, IA
(Zone 5a)

June 19, 2008
11:46 PM

Post #5129994

What a great article!
As a young bride, I moved to SW Missouri , back in the hillsand was introduced to two new fruits(to me!).

One was Persimmons, which I quickly learned (and I still pucker just thinking of it) were best tasted after a hard frost! LOL
The second was pawpaws. We had several pawpaw trees further back in the timber.

Now, mind you, as a child we sang the song 'pickin up pawpaws, put 'em in your pocket', but never thought of them being an actual fruit that was good to eat. How little I knew! I loved the taste and texture, but never knew they could be cooked.
I never actually saw the trees either, my hubby would bring them home after coon hunting out in those parts of our timber.

I love your articles, Sharon. Not only are they informative and interesting, but wonderfully entertaining. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into each one.

Sasha

I loved the taste and texture, but never knew they could be cooked.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 19, 2008
11:59 PM

Post #5130062

Hello from Alaska again...
I am building a memory garden for DG member Carol Eads, and am staying with her sister while I do so. Wonderful place here, and I have seen so much amazing nature...I can't begin to tell you.

I am so glad you enjoyed the article...all of you. Pawpaws are wonderful, and I can probably get some seeds from home this fall. I will beg and plead with my brother to save a bunch for me. I also remember the Picking up Pawpaws, put em in your pocket song...

Thanks for reading, and am so glad you enjoyed...
I will be here until Monday, then back to KY, but I have had a glorious time!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2008
12:15 AM

Post #5130153

I grew up with that song, yet never imagined it was a REAL fruit they were talking about! Thanks, Sharon, for another mind-expanding article!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 20, 2008
12:22 AM

Post #5130194

Postman; It don't show them, this far north. but IA does have them in two counties. Still I would like to try 3 to 5 seeds, I think they do better with two or more trees in close proximity.
Russ

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5130937

Great article... now I have to find a place to put a pawpaw here in the shade, but where it can be touched by the sun in a couple of years. Thanks for the information!!
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
3:14 AM

Post #5131056

I am so glad you like the idea of pawpaws...I promise, it is a very exotic flavor...just really tropical.

They are a mess on the ground though...still, worth it.
KyWoods
Melbourne, KY
(Zone 6a)

June 20, 2008
3:23 AM

Post #5131091

The woodland critters here would surely clean up the mess, lol.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5131099

Yep, that is the good part.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
11:43 AM

Post #5145983

I am "desperate" to grow pawpaws, and have bought one
native and several grafted ones, and tried my best to make
them happy. This spring, finally, the oldest tree, which is one
named "Sunflower" and said to be self-fertile, had lots of
blooms, but I see no fruit!!! I am wondering if it did not get
pollinated.

Do you have any advice for my struggling pawpaws????
I don't know what pH they like, for instance.

Thanks for the extremely wonderful article!
Fitsy
smallplot
Tallahassee, FL

June 23, 2008
7:42 PM

Post #5148242

Check out the University of Kentucky website Sharon referenced. They are the only place seriously studying the pawpaw and looking to make it a commercially viable crop.

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2008
10:35 PM

Post #5149016

I second that. The UK site has a lot of really good information on it. I'm glad to see someone is researching them.
Fitsy
Hayesville, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
10:58 AM

Post #5151250

Th;anks, smallplot and mellielong!! I sure will!
Fitsy
imanerd
Saucier, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2008
8:20 PM

Post #5169272

Does anyone know if this is a pawpaw??? http://www.flickr.com/photos/5adie/sets/72157605846942180/

I found it in my backyard which is wooded with a river that occasionally floods. The fruits are almost 2 inches each. Could be from a mango seed or something.

postmandug, I would love to have some seeds...please add me to your list.

mellielong, do you have any asimina reticulata seeds to trade?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2008
9:18 PM

Post #5169532

Imanerd, (cute name) it looks very much like a pawpaw tree to me, particularly the fruit. Hope it is. It will ripen more in the fall, and turn very blackish brown, like a too ripe banana.
You can take photos of it along the way and I will be able to see more about it.
S

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2008
11:58 PM

Post #5170229

Yup, those fruits look just like it.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
1:44 AM

Post #5170690

Hi Mellie, just went outside and checked on my black bromelaids...2 are growing already, the skinny one is not looking so good, but still OK, I think.

Everybody loves them, and I am the only one with them...!!!!!!

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 28, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5170743

Oh goodie! Just keep water in the skinny one and it should be ok. Even if it starts to die, they'll usually throw up a pup or two to try and survive. I had one in a pot on the doorstep that I totally neglected after it bloomed. I still had some in the backyard so I wasn't too concerned, but it made a pup and now I have another one! Check around the base of it and see if there are any suspicious nubs that look like pups. I had that skinny one in a bit of shade so if you've got it in full sun it might just be adjusting to the change.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
2:17 AM

Post #5170841

Yes I do have it in full sun...OK, will watch it. The other two are great!!!!!

Love 'em!!
imanerd
Saucier, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #5170909

I am totally shocked!!! I've been wanting to grow pawpaws for several years now!!! I planted three trees in 2004 and one died shortly after planting, one was trampled by the kids while playing baseball, and the other was crushed by a tree during Hurricane Katrina. I ordered two more earlier this year but they were in bad shape when I received them - one has died already and the other is barely hanging in there. I have over 40 fruit trees and have never had this much trouble with any of the rest (this is not the pawpaw's fault...just bad luck).

I was lucky to have spotted this little tree because it was surrounded by stickers and brush. At first glance I thought it was a volunteer fig since I have one planted about 10 feet away. Although something has been eating the leaves, the tree seems very healthy. Do they always produce fruit at such a young age? Wouldn't there have to be another pawpaw in the area for pollination?

Thanks for the help!!!

Sadie
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
2:40 AM

Post #5170983

Did it bloom, and did the flowers smell like a dead animal?? If yes, it definitely is a pawpaw and chances are there is another not too far away. I will check that out for sure. They grow best in an understory, but in a place where the larger trees can be cut away after a couple of years. Too much sun at a young age is not good. Yours must be in a happy place.

Let me check something and I will be right back.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5171026

OK, they don't self pollinate, so there must be another tree, and it could be some distance away. It is pollinated by flies and beetles...

usually they don't bear fruit until about 4 or maybe 5 years old, so I am not sure what is going on with yours. They only grow to about 20 feet or so at the most, so they aren't very big trees.

Does this help??
Hope so, because i do think you have a pawpaw tree...how fun!!!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 28, 2008
10:54 AM

Post #5171877

Imanerd, I can't vouch for it's being a PawPaw, but it isn't a mango, that I do know:). I'm very jealous of your Possible PawPaw...must find one must find onemustfindonemustfindone...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
2:23 PM

Post #5172535

^_^ too funny Margo!!!

I think my brother will gather some this fall, also I think it is Postmandug that is going to gather some also.

Don't panic yet.
imanerd
Saucier, MS
(Zone 8b)

June 28, 2008
5:20 PM

Post #5173291

I'm not sure if it had stinky flowers or not...I didn't even notice it until the day I took the pictures. I love finding new things on my property :o)

I guess I'll be putting on the hiking boots today to look for more. How far away could the pollinator be?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
5:40 PM

Post #5173384

As far as flies can fly... ^_^
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

June 28, 2008
7:48 PM

Post #5173928

If there is an odder, no matter how horrific there are flies.
I have ( a weed) next to the house, it gets very large cut leaves and white flowers on top almost like elderberry, that kind of cluster anyway. It don't smell bad at all, but it sure does attract flies. then that cluster of blossoms turns into a big seed head. I like the looks of the leaves. I always just cut off the seed heads. the plant comes back year after year. I might bag a seed head and get some seeds and start one in another spot. I don't know if I would want to get a bunch running rampant.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2008
12:17 PM

Post #5176633

Okay, Sharon, no panic yet. It's funny, when I moved here, I only expected to find two things, sassafrass, and PawPaws. Of course, I have neither one :(. On the plus side, I have blackberries (tho sour in this drought), a little wild plum tree (that I just found this spring) some kind of a choke/black/wild cherry (but it seems to have the fruit of one kind, and the bark of another) everywhere, and surely much more to be discovered...
Yup, it's an adventure. Now, if I could just figure out where my property lines are...
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2008
3:38 PM

Post #5177441

another chore for another day, Margo...
Just enjoy!!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

June 29, 2008
7:50 PM

Post #5178608

But I want to know if the beavers and the Hobbit Rock are "mine"...*G*

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: PawPaws, Anyone?? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Thanks! Now I really want to try these! critterologist 3 Jun 20, 2008 6:24 PM
Take a bow! Great article! darlindeb 1 Jun 20, 2008 3:24 AM
Pawpaw not papaya Islandshari 1 Jun 20, 2008 3:16 AM
Pawpaws along the James River gloriag 1 Jun 21, 2008 2:44 AM
Pawpaw in my shade garden. kmm44 1 Jun 23, 2008 5:57 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America