Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: The Big Ears - Spotlight on Alocasia odora: I'm hooked

Communities > Forums > Article: The Big Ears - Spotlight on Alocasia odora
bookmark
Forum: Article: The Big Ears - Spotlight on Alocasia odoraReplies: 2, Views: 49
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5129264

I've been reading your articles. Now I have to start taking care of these guys. I used to plant them in the ground and they'd come back - sometimes. I have the odora, I believe it's the dwarf version growing to 4' high. I took one of the leaves that were ready to "go" because I feed my fish and snails in the fishtank. The koi eat the leaves outside when they get heavy and lean down to the pond. I also have the Black Magic, and the Purpley just came up as a surprise to me. I'm planting them in containers and drilling holes about halfway down. They are happy plants. But the difference between the Alocasia and the Colocasia? That I'll have to figure out. They look the same to me. I like your reference to "Big Ears".

Thumbnail by wormfood
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LariAnn
Miami, FL
(Zone 10a)

June 19, 2008
9:54 PM

Post #5129411

The plant you have there is actually A. gageana, which is very closely allied to A. odora.

For me, the Colocasia is easy to distinguish, as they generally have much softer leaves with a matte finish, longer petioles, and the leaf blades are held at a right angle to the petiole. Many of the Colocasias also reproduce by underground runners. The terrestrial, or landscape Alocasias have shinier leaves, the blades are generally parallel to the petioles, petioles are shorter and stockier, and the plants reproduce by small corms, not runners.

LariAnn
Aroidia Research
wormfood
Lecanto, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 20, 2008
6:08 AM

Post #5131514

Ah, ya, I knew that :-} I was just testing you. Fun aside, I'm figuring out why some die and this particular one still lives, the coldhardiness and soil, etc. They do well in my "green (used to be a birdhouse) house". With a small pond and and drip hose and the whole place is covered up over the winter. I'm still reading, but, they seem to do better in pots and I'm thinking it's the nematodes in the soil that get them. Or some other bug that likes roots and bulbs and corms. Oh,and I saw A. reticulatta at a local nursery and thought I'd give it a try. Thanks for the info., Nancy

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: The Big Ears - Spotlight on Alocasia odora Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love this article libellule 1 Jun 16, 2008 11:45 PM
Alocasia Amazonica brossardoise 2 Jun 16, 2008 8:45 PM
Are they invasive? soive2000 1 Jun 17, 2008 2:01 PM
Alocasia amazonica songofthesouth 1 May 22, 2009 6:51 PM
Name of plant? bbongio 5 Mar 8, 2010 6:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America