Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Peppers: pepper flowers are just droping off.

Communities > Forums > Peppers
bookmark
Forum: PeppersReplies: 2, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
deerhorn
Seward, AK

June 20, 2008
6:08 AM

Post #5131515

I have two gypsy pepper plants and both are showing flower buds and one plant has had adleast six flowers open up, but by the second day after flowering the flower pod and stem turn yellow and just drop off.
These plants are in the house in the west facing window where they get adleast 10 to 12 hours of sun each day, that is each day that the sun shines.
The outside temps. have been in the low 60s to mid 50s and nights as low as the high 30s to low 40s so the plants have not been out side.
The plants have dark green leaves and a lot of them per plant, they look to me to be in very good health.
Can some one help me out there? Thank You Don...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2008
1:51 PM

Post #5132474

Don, I think we may have figured this out on the other thread... sounds like you need to be doing something to pollinate the blooms. Giving the plants a good shake might work, but hand pollination (with a q-tip or soft little brush, just dabbing quickly from flower to flower) would be even more certain.

Also, if they're still in 4 inch pots, their root systems probably won't support a lot of fruit formation... but it'll be fine for them to have a few little peppers underway when you plant them out.
deerhorn
Seward, AK

June 21, 2008
2:38 AM

Post #5135827

The pots that they are in are about 16 inches wide at the top and I figure that they hold approx. 4-5 gallons of dirt.
But I think that you have hit the nail on the head with this one, I will make me some brushes out of chicken feathers used to tie fishing flies they will be real light and soft.
Thanks for the help. Don

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Peppers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Name This Sweet, Sweet Pepper Tplant 117 Apr 3, 2008 12:24 AM
pepper plants started HERBIE43 7 Oct 11, 2007 12:56 PM
Hungarian Hot Wax Peppers - What Do You Do With Them? Breezymeadow 21 Mar 20, 2008 2:58 AM
fish peppers up and growing HERBIE43 32 Jul 24, 2009 8:35 PM
Peppers resource thread - opinions & suggestions, please Terry 13 Aug 31, 2010 10:38 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America