Photo by Melody

Article: Visiting Longwood Gardens- Something for Every Dave's Gardener: WOW! no more excuses

Communities > Forums > Article: Visiting Longwood Gardens- Something for Every Dave's Gardener
bookmark
Forum: Article: Visiting Longwood Gardens- Something for Every Dave's GardenerReplies: 15, Views: 87
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2008
10:52 AM

Post #5131841

Oh, OH Oh! I absolutely have to get to Longwood Gardens -- soon!

Sally, thanks for taking me through the garden with you with your wonderful descriptions and all those lovely photos. I also appreciated the info table with everything I could possibly need to know to plan a trip there. No more excuses! :-)
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
11:25 AM

Post #5131903

Same for me - no more excuses! Longwood Gardens has been at the top of my list for gardens to visit. No more stalling for me!
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

June 20, 2008
12:01 PM

Post #5132005

Sally, you captured our trip in words very well, what an enjoyable read.
It was such a pleasure going with a group of DG that over the years I have shared gardening and sometimes personal experences with. What a speical group of people.
Without the internet, DG and cell phones we could not have pull it off.

This message was edited Jun 20, 2008 8:02 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2008
12:54 PM

Post #5132203

Thanks for your comments!

ladyg- you're so right, look at how technology has brought together a great group that wouldn't have met otherwise.

I meant to include but didn't--it's a different experience going withGardeners, with whom you can say things like- Look at that Alocasia!! instead of Look at that big thing, or have a whole discussion about one tree- Paulonia. That may be why we didn't cover the whole grounds in one day LOL
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 20, 2008
1:46 PM

Post #5132453

WOW Sally, What a great job you did. Hope to see more of your writing in the future. Wonderful pictures everyone.

bluespiral

bluespiral

(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
2:09 PM

Post #5132578

I so enjoyed your sharing your trip to Longwood with such a great article - thank you. Years ago, in the mid-70s, when I had no idea of gardening's enchantments, the minister who married DH & I gave us, as a wedding gift, a trip to Longwood. We all drove up there together, and the combination of that very special company, occasion, and revelation/epiphany of the gardens just blew me away. Although DH & I returned every year after that, foot & other health problems have kept me away in recent years.

For skinflints like us, there is a lovely picnic area that Longwood makes available just outside the main gardens. It's a graveled clearing among tall, high pruned trees, and part of the fun has been that so many different ethnicities share the space whenever we came. There are excellent amenities there, too.

Y'all couldn't have spent your day better in any other way.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2008
2:50 PM

Post #5132800

HollyAnn- quote" Hope to see more of your writing in the future" LOL, me too! its harder to find time in the summer!

bluespiral- What a great wedding gift! Thanks for sharing your story.
I did see mention of the picnic area during my looking at the website.or literature. Thank you for telling us about it. You can sure save money for a family or group by exiting for your picnic and re-entering. If you plan to do that, you could try to see one 'side' of the garden first and the other side after luch; the visitor center is about midway to the whole area.
Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

June 20, 2008
5:14 PM

Post #5133465

Sally: What a terrific article you wrote! Not only was the trip to Longwood Gardens a fabulous experience, but seeing it with DG friends brought it to a whole new level of appreciation!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2008
6:15 PM

Post #5133849

Thanks Shirley-( By the way, I saw Mom's coreopsis blooming and its a bright yellow, maybe not what you wanted, so fel free to dispose)

bluespiral- I just reread your post above. Taking that tour just after your wedding sure would make it a special place to you. Happy to have helped you remember!
Debbie2007
Port Vincent, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 20, 2008
6:17 PM

Post #5133854

Thankyou Sally for an enjoyable walk thru the gardens with ya'll. If I ever get the chance to go up to Maryland where I was born, I will surely make a point to visit Longwood.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

June 20, 2008
6:26 PM

Post #5133895

You're so welcome, drapelady. :-)

mellielong

mellielong
Lutz, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 20, 2008
6:44 PM

Post #5133962

So nice to see this place again. I graduated from the University of Pennsylvania in 2001 and my parents and I visited the gardens when they came up in May. I'd love to go again and see it with my "gardener" eyes on! Even though I hadn't gotten into gardening at that time, I still had a great time walking through this place; it's just beautiful.

Melanie
Ginger_H
Fountain, FL
(Zone 8a)

June 20, 2008
9:05 PM

Post #5134451

I grew up in Philly. When my folks sold the house they moved to a retirement community in Kennett Square. Longwood is truely AWSOME!! The fireworks on the 4th of July,lighted fountain displays at night and Christmas are all wonderful. Definately a must see.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2008
12:38 PM

Post #5192120

I received this message by dmail--- There are many nice pictures on this site.
"just saw the beautiful pictures of the gardens----i'm on the other coast otherwise i'd come right over and enjoy the flowers. since you love flowers and gardens i thought i'd tell you about the garden at our house. my husband and i purchased an acre in the california desert and have been working on it for over 5 years. it has turned out to be labors of love----we ended up dedicating it to my sister who passed away from lung cancer and started a website to post the pictures for garden lovers and others to enjoy. i have taken photos and have over 800 beautiful flower, vegetable and fruit photos---i even have banana trees with banana flowers and fruit.. since you posted the garden website i guess i'm allowed to post the photo website--- [HYPERLINK@www.mysisterdalesgarden.com] --i'd love your feedback."

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

July 2, 2008
2:55 PM

Post #5192706

Thanks for sharing this site, Sally! There are some great photos there... she's really got an eye for photography as well as an outstanding garden!

"banana trees with... fruit"

*swoon*

LOL

here's a link to the photo gallery at that site: http://www.mysisterdalesgarden.com/garden/

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 2, 2008
4:52 PM

Post #5193337

Jill, you're quite welcome. I couldn't help but be touched by her story.

Must spend a lot of time watering bananas in the desert! and everything else

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Visiting Longwood Gardens- Something for Every Dave's Gardener Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Been there, it was wonderful! rosewood513 2 Jul 2, 2008 12:36 PM
Longwood Gardens Boofer 2 May 15, 2010 2:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America