Summer Solstice

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I was shopping yesterday, and wished eight different people a Happy Summer Solstice, after a week of cold rainy weather, it was a beautiful day and deserved a little celebration. Only ONE of the eight even knew what I was talking about! I was appalled. Most of these people were old enough to know what a solstice is, but they were totally blank. I had to explain it to them. When I did finally find someone who knew, we both shook our heads over the rest.

Well, in that vein, Happy First Full Day of Summer!

Thumbnail by Kathleen
Paris, TN(Zone 6b)

And what a beautiful day it is! It's far cooler up here at home than it was down in GA.
Love those roses - we have lots of wild ones here on the property that I am hoping will produce some good hips for tea. Can't really tell what kind they are, as I am rose-ignorant to say the least. Never cared for fussy ones, but I love these wild little ones!! And they actually smell good, like roses used to.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Thank you! the weather is so pleasant today, the kids will celebrate with a swim in the pool, a cookout, perhaps smores and sleeping outside!

my seven year old kept complaining about the sun being up longer everynight, and i explained the solstice to him. he so "got it". he said, so then the fall solstice is the end of summer?!

most poeple dont' even know when the full moon is or what the first quarter and last quarter mean LOL...

Happy Solstice to all, and to all a Great Summer!

tf

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Kathleen, I am catching this thread a little late.

If you had seen me and asked me I would have known what the summer solstice is.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh... boo hoo, I am late seeing these greetings. My favoritest day of the year!!! I grumble if we schedule a vacation to see family and I am away from home on that day. I was home this year and enjoyed every daylight minute of it!!!

My idea of a summer solstice vacation is a trip as far north as I can go to enjoy 24 hours of sunshine. The sad part for me is just beginning as the days are growing shorter, albeit by seconds... 8 )

TF ~ your kiddo shouldn't be complaining, we would stay out and play till dark in summer and I still do. DH stays indoors and with the lights on it looks dark outside. When I come in, he says what can you do in the dark? I just smile... At dusk, I watch the bats, the nighthawks, listen to the woods come alive with whipowill calls, frogs and bugs. The fireflies light my way... I love it.

A belated Happy Summer Solstice all! pod

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Podster, I do love the evenings outside after dark.. I recently tried photographing night flying moths.. That's a lot harder than it sounds..

Is that the hummingbird moth? One gal said she tried for photos and when the camera flashed, they flew at her. Felt she was being attacked! LOL

I always wanted to have a summer solstice party but how can you party when no one else knows what it is or appreciates it! 8 )

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

There are lots of night flying moths.. some very small and not as spectacular as the ones you are probably thinking of..

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

wow, what a party that would be!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Glad you all know what I mean - I was getting worried. Of course, I think the first bunch thought maybe I followed some strange religion the way they looked at me, but to each his/her own. Now where did I put my broom??

All kidding aside, I think the reason the earth is in so much trouble is because people have gotten so far from the land and the seasons. The closer you are to the real honest to goodness dirt ( and yes, I mean dirt, not "soil"), the better off you and the earth.

So, here's one for the Autumnal equinox. DGr ~ Brigidlily balanced an egg on end. Way cool! http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/654750/

Payneville, KY(Zone 7a)

Kathleen, I did the same thing........and I wondered why no one knew. We learned that in school....it went hand in hand......first day of summer, summer solstice.

:) Kathy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images