Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Herbs: Selling Herbs

Communities > Forums > Herbs
bookmark
Forum: HerbsReplies: 9, Views: 223
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
zinniagirl
Litchfield, ME

June 22, 2008
12:50 AM

Post #5139880

I have been growing oregano, thyme, mint, chamomille and many other herbs for several years. I've recently opened a garden shop and would like to sell them somehow. Any suggestions for quick and not to complicated ways to make them appealing to customers?

Not sure whether to do fresh, dried or both...and wondering how to present them. I do not have refrigeration in the shop.

Also, do the herbs mentioned above still taste as good once they've flowered?

McCool
Millbury, MA
(Zone 5a)

June 22, 2008
1:10 AM

Post #5139972

Generally herbs are not used once they have flowered as they tend to become bitter. You can try cutting them back and just using the new growth.

If you want to try selling fresh herbs, you could put a few sprigs into the little tubes that the florists use to hold water for single flowers, tie a shoestring bow of organdy ribbon or use a little bit of curling ribbon and stand them in a vase or jar. Any that didn't sell the first day out could be dried.
zinniagirl
Litchfield, ME

June 22, 2008
2:03 AM

Post #5140215

That's a great idea...thanks! And I guess I'd better go out and cut the oregano and chives!
stumpenursery
Florence, AL

August 13, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #5406111

I sell herbs in my greenhouse year round. People that like herbs will find you. I also sell at local farmers market. I put them in everything, use your imagination.

Pam
herbalbetty
Middleburgh, NY

August 13, 2008
4:50 PM

Post #5408987

Also, check with your state's department of agriculture and markets as they have the final word on if and how herbs can be sold. Each state varies wildly on what they allow and how they allow it.
zinniagirl
Litchfield, ME

August 22, 2008
12:06 AM

Post #5449150

stumpenursery, do you sell fresh and dry herbs? What kinds do you find most popular?

herbalbetty, thanks for the tip. I will check with the state.
stumpenursery
Florence, AL

September 18, 2008
2:36 PM

Post #5567769

Sorry it has took me so long to get back to you, but yes I sell fresh and dried.
The most popular for my area is curled leaf parsley, basil(all kinds), oregano, rosemary, lavender, mints.
The mints I dry for use with teas, I sell in a basket (Tea for Two), supply 2 coffee cups and a tea strainer, nice little basket. $25. I try to put at least 2 different kinds of mints in basket for variety. Makes great christmas, birthday, any occasion.
pprice256
Ranburne, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 18, 2009
2:50 PM

Post #6960610

I have catnip,chamomile,spearmint,ciltro,rosemary,chives,leaks,echincea, and lots more for sale if anyone is interested..thanks Porsha
mrsjamiep
Arroyo City, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2009
10:33 PM

Post #6991859

zinniagirl -

I'm not sure what herbs you have exactly but, I bundled herbs together in a simple nosegay with a thin ribbon - All the herb for Turkey and stuffing etc. for the holidays sold like crazy at a farmers market...people bought them for small hostess gifts, for themself, for friends...kept them simple and used the tiny ribbon you buy at walmart. I think it's .50 for a roll back in craft. Used red and green for Christmas. Just a small thought. I bundled them and hung them so they dried as one bunch so there was no fussing with the dried herbs - saved alot of mess. Then all I had to do was tie the ribbon...If I were to do it again, probably would include a little tag with a clever seasonal saying or something but...wasn't needed. Never brought one home.
Flowersrthebest
Dexter, ME

August 27, 2009
7:52 PM

Post #6995154

Zinnagirl,Please let me know how the herb process works for you.Right now I have been drying tons left and right.I was going to use them in tea's,tinture's.I do know alot of famers markets tie or use a elastic to bind and sell right in a cup of water,minus the water.I have lavender,lemon balm,hyssop,stevia,thymes,lemon vernbena.Mints,self heal,pansy,violets,catmint,mullein,yarrow and more

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Herbs Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
HERB COLD REMEDY jcf 25 Oct 3, 2009 3:18 AM
lemon verbena? laylarose 13 Jan 25, 2008 2:03 AM
Artemesia absinthium- common wormwood balvenie 14 Dec 31, 2007 6:44 PM
Rosemary Minihostalover 48 May 31, 2008 12:53 PM
Echinacea ... what to do with it anyone? IO1 46 Aug 8, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America