Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Passifloras: How long before the plants produce fruit?

Communities > Forums > Passifloras
bookmark
Forum: PassiflorasReplies: 11, Views: 133
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
guavagirl
Kahaluʻu, HI
(Zone 11)

June 22, 2008
1:59 AM

Post #5140199

I just planted some passion fruit vines (from the seeds in the fruit) this winter. I have 5-8 vines and they are all growing vigorously. They have been blooming for about 2 months now but the blooms seem to fall off and no fruit ever forms. Will it take a few years before it actually produces fruit? Or does it need something that it isn't getting? I fertilize it with miracle grow every 2 weeks and osmocote once every 4-6 weeks. The vines are in large ceramic pots with good drainage on either side of an arbor.
Mahalo.
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 23, 2008
4:08 AM

Post #5145379

If they are blooming, but not producing fruit, you may need to hand pollinate. Use pollen from a different vine to pollinate the flowers. If it is successful, the flower will shrivel but not fall off the vine. Within a week you should begin to see the fruit developing. Most fruit takes 2 to 3 months to ripen and fall from the vine. If you want the fruit to make juice, let them ripen indoors for a few days. If you want them for seeds, let them shrivel and ripen for several weeks before removing the seeds.

You didn't mention which variety you are growing. Most take 2 years to produce flowers when grown from seed, but once they start flowering, they should be able to produce fruit.

Good luck.
guavagirl
Kahaluʻu, HI
(Zone 11)

June 23, 2008
5:21 PM

Post #5147512

Thanks LouisianaMark. How do I hand pollinate? I'm assuming that 2 flowers need to be blooming at the same time? Do you use a toothbrush? paintbrush?

The variety I bought was called Noel's special. I also planted some from fruit I bought at the farmer's market (yellow outside/orange inside).

Hal_
Whites Creek, TN
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2008
3:31 PM

Post #5152300

Noel's Special should be self-fertile, but if there are no pollinating insects around, you will still need to hand pollinate. The seedlings may or may not be self-fertile, and could just be too young to set fruit. Just get some pollen on the end of your finger and apply it to the stigmas. You can also pluck off an anther coated with pollen, and press it against the stigmas on another flower.
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 27, 2008
2:31 AM

Post #5165903

Guavagirl,

Here is a pic of a Blue-Eyed Susan passie flower that has the anthers and stigma labeled. The anthers carry the pollen (looks like yellow dust). To pollinate, you can put some pollen on your finger and touch the stigma, or use a paint brush, or just pick an anther, and dust the stigma with that. The pollen can remain viable on the picked anthers for several days (longer if properly dried), so if you don't have 2 blooming at the same time, you can pick the anthers and use them the next day or 2.

Hybrids and regular species can also be bud pollinated. This is the only way most hybrids will form fruit. To bud pollinate, you find a bud that is ready to open in the next day or 2, and peel back the petals. This will expose the tips of the stigma, and you can pollinate them, and close everything back up (see next pic).

Mark

Thumbnail by LouisianaMark
Click the image for an enlarged view.

LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 27, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5165917

Here's an Incense bud with the petals peeled back, exposing the tips of the stigma.

LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 27, 2008
2:37 AM

Post #5165933

Here I am pollinating the bud:

jlp222
Hammond, LA
(Zone 8b)

June 27, 2008
3:08 AM

Post #5166118

Mark, in your post at 9:33, it that before or after the flower blooms?
guavagirl
Kahaluʻu, HI
(Zone 11)

June 28, 2008
12:17 AM

Post #5170325

Wow! Thanks a million. You guys are terrific.
I will give it a try.
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 28, 2008
3:00 AM

Post #5171092

jlp,

both are the day before it blooms.
phicks
Lakeland, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 29, 2008
12:02 PM

Post #5176600

Mark ever get any fruit on Incense ?? Paul
LouisianaMark
Baton Rouge, LA

June 30, 2008
1:20 AM

Post #5179826

Hi Paul,

Last summer I got about 15 fruits on my Incense--I think most were from my hand pollinations (x caerulea). All of the fruit had viable seeds, although some were larger than others, and some were flat (non-viable). The number of seeds ranged from 20 to 40. I planted 30 of the seeds earlier this spring, and only 6 germinated. I have 2 vigorous plants from those 6. I just planted another 70 seeds a week ago, and so far 5 have sprouted.

So far this summer I have only 2 fruits on my Incense (both x caerulea). I am beginning to think that the bud pollination has to be done more than 24 hours before the flower opens for it to take. Here's a pic:

Mark

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Passifloras Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Is anyone having trouble keeping up with name tags? Tropicman 16 Jul 24, 2007 5:43 AM
Am I blue? Ginger_H 6 Aug 16, 2008 6:19 PM
First passiflora bloom PudgyMudpies 14 Feb 7, 2008 2:28 PM
Pics of your passies, please? AuntB 250 Jul 24, 2007 11:20 AM
Passiflora Amethystina gordo 14 Apr 6, 2007 10:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America