Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial: more pond questions...

Communities > Forums > Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial
bookmark
Forum: Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond TutorialReplies: 3, Views: 43
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
smallplot
Tallahassee, FL

June 22, 2008
7:58 PM

Post #5143408

Jocie, please give me your thoughts on dealing with racoons and mosquitos. Have you had problems with racoons eating fish? Do you know if Summit can be used as mosquito control in ponds? Most of my yard is in partial shade and downhill from the front door would be a great place for a small pond, raingarden or water feature.
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 28, 2008
4:46 AM

Post #5171484

Ive never had a problem with skeeters in my stocked ponds because the fish and tadpoles and other aquatics eat them up. That and the plant cover helps keep them from laying too many eggs. I don't know about putting anything like that in a pond. I've always been au'natural with my projects so I really couldn't say. No problems with coons but I make the ponds deep enough they won't enter. Like at least knee deep if I can manage. I have natural shelves to place pots and what-not on but then the sides drop straight down to deep water. Raccoons love water but can't hunt that great in deeeep water. We have a lot of coons in the yard on a nightly basis so this system really seems to work.

if ya need more help let me know!
smallplot
Tallahassee, FL

June 28, 2008
7:03 PM

Post #5173741

Thankyou Crimsontsavo. I will keep that in mind when I plan my pond!
crimsontsavo
Crossville, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5178536

:-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: El Cheapo Redneck Pond Tutorial Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helpful AND delightful Fitsy 7 Jun 29, 2008 7:34 PM
What about the frogs?....... Riverwine 4 Jun 28, 2008 5:04 AM
redneck entertainment Pughbear7 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:05 AM
Cannas, too. glendalekid 1 Jun 28, 2008 5:01 AM
Save the Frogs! colofaus 7 Jun 29, 2008 7:33 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America