Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: PawPaws, Anyone??: Pawpaw in my shade garden.

Communities > Forums > Article: PawPaws, Anyone??
bookmark
Forum: Article: PawPaws, Anyone??Replies: 1, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kmm44
Dayton, OH

June 23, 2008
4:39 AM

Post #5145455

Several years ago, when my husband and I were putting in a woodland shade garden along a neighbor's chain link fence, our son decided to plant a pawpaw tree "temporarily" until he had a yard of his own to move it to. The neighbor had planted one a couple of years before just next to the bog garden across from our new one. Knowing that pawpaws like wet feet, he planted it at the end of a drainage extender from a downspout. The tree was a small stick then, but I was not happy with it in my flower bed. He assured me he would move it before it got too big--HAH! He did buy a home of his own the next year, but never got around to moving the tree. New neighbors next door took out the older pawpaw 3 years ago. They also took down perfectly healthy sweetgum and Japanese maple trees near the pawpaw and a large spruce tree in the front. Faced with the denuding of the other yard and saddened by the demise of the older pawpaw, when Brian comes over to visit "his" tree he always says, "See? Aren't you glad you still have this pawpaw?"
I E-mailed this article to him. He loves to cook and might be interested in the recipe.
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
5:57 PM

Post #5147720

Ahhh, sad story about the new neighbors, but I am glad Brian's Pawpaw tree survived and is thriving.
Thanks for reading the story and for sharing with him.
And thanks for your comments.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: PawPaws, Anyone?? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Distribution map KyWoods 38 Jun 29, 2008 7:50 PM
Thanks! Now I really want to try these! critterologist 3 Jun 20, 2008 6:24 PM
Take a bow! Great article! darlindeb 1 Jun 20, 2008 3:24 AM
Pawpaw not papaya Islandshari 1 Jun 20, 2008 3:16 AM
Pawpaws along the James River gloriag 1 Jun 21, 2008 2:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America