Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Sick turkey poults...what is wrong with them, what can I do?

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 17, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2008
1:14 PM

Post #5146363

I almost hated to start yet another new thread, but we are having a big problem right now. Our 3 week old turkey poults keep getting sick and we don't have a clue what is wrong with them. So far, 2 Bourbon Reds and 1 Jumbo white has gotten sick...we lost one of the BR's and the Jumbo is on his last leg now. I don't think he's going to make it. I am very worried that if we don't find out what is wrong or how to treat them, we are going to lose the 2nd BR and the others might get it too.

So this is what they are doing...all of a sudden they get tired and 'droopy' looking, just kind of stand hunched over with their heads down, resting on their bodies. They don't seem to have any energy. All of it seems to happen in the course of 3-4 days...they start showing the symptoms, will eat and drink for the 1st day or so, then they just stop all together and just stand there almost like they are asleep until they get even weaker and die. They have good looking manure, they seem to be breathing ok, with no drainage or signs of a cold.

I would appreciate any help on this...does anyone know what is wrong with them?

Christy
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 23, 2008
3:34 PM

Post #5146945

Ladybug, it could be any number of things. Are they getting enough vitamin E? Vitamin A? riboflavin? Or it could be several viral conditions.

Where did you get them? And, are you feeding them turkey starter or grower?

I don't know what to suggest until you figure out what it is that is wrong. Sorry.

GG
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2008
4:24 PM

Post #5147198

Granny, I have no idea what could be wrong. Other than having another group catch colds and treat them successfully for that, we have not had any problems before, except for them pecking when they were real little.

We got them form Cackle. We had them on high protein medicated turkey starter crumbles...one from a cheaper supplier, then on Sat we switched them to a better quality feed from Kent, called Homefresh 27 Poultry. The sick poults showed signs of being sick before we switched feed, but with no others being sick yet, I'm not sure if it was the feed that has caused it.

My DH is very, very good at noticing and catching the slightest of changes in behavior, but lacks the knowledge of what it is that could be causing this. We are both learning.

Are there any other signs I could check for, for a lack of vitamins?

( I went out and found the label for the new feed, but don't have the one from the old feed)

Christy
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 23, 2008
4:36 PM

Post #5147262

ladybug, I had looked up the AE site and those were the vitamin listings on it. It looks as if it might have been the old feed. I don't know, but if there are no other ones getting sick since you changed their feed, I would venture a guess that it is probably it. Hopefully with the better feed, the sick ones will get better. We can pray for that to happen. As for the actual AE site, I don't know how to pull it up here except to tell you google "avian encephalomyelitis", and it is the first one that came up on my search engine.

GG
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2008
4:41 PM

Post #5147286

Thank you Granny...off to do that now!
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5147969

I read up on AE, then called my DH to ask him some questions. It seems like a lot of the symptoms are the same as in AE, but neither of us have noticed any shaking. He handles getting the feed so I made sure we were in fact feeding them what I thought we were feeding them. We were told years ago that you DO NOT feed poults medicated feed, that it could kill them, but I joined DG right before we got this group of poults and seen it mentioned several times that feeding medicated feed was a must, so that's what I told him. He told me that they were on medicated feed over 2 weeks ago. Today he said they weren't on medicated feed until Sat, when we changed feed brands.

Wondering if cocci might be an issue I did a web search to see exactly what it is and what the signs of it are. The most informative article I found talked all about dirty conditions, dirty waters and dirty feeders. We don't have any of these going on, so if they have cocci I'm not sure how they got it. Then I read about treatment with milk and remembered tf suggestions this as a treatment in keets, so I am going to give them some. I figure it couldn't hurt them.

Here's a pic of some of the poults and some chicks in the outdoor movable pen we have them in. The little turkey laying down is just sleeping.

Thumbnail by ladybugsabound2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 23, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5147986

I just saw the blown up pic and realized that the chicks in that pic are cornish cross...don't worry, they are supposed to look that 'raggedy'...their poor body grows out faster than their feathers can grow, leaving them looking like this.
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 23, 2008
9:29 PM

Post #5148698

Well, I hope that the milk treatment works. I forgot about the milk, and we were just given another bag of dry milk. So, guess who's going to start getting milk in their feed.

GG
♥^_^♥
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2008
1:47 AM

Post #5150142

ummmm...roos, guinea's and maybe hens? : ) All I had was regular whole milk, so that is what I used. It seemed to work really well on the keets, so that is what I gave the poults too. I got to the store today and found some cheap-o plain yogurt too. I read somewhere that it was good for them and once again, figured it probably it wouldn't hurt them. I told my DH again about the milk thing and he said we were just going to start using it as a preventive measure. I wanted to do this awhile back. I don't think he was a believer until he saw the little jumbo poult that was knocking an death's door this morning and turned right around this evening, I think he is now a believer. I hope this is what the problem was and we have stopped it!

Christy
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 24, 2008
3:25 AM

Post #5150581

Sounds good. The main reason I have dry milk is because we deliver commodities to some of our elderly and they give it to us. We also get all sorts of other stuff, including oatmeal. My DH doesn't eat oatmeal so I use it to make suet cakes for the birds in the winter and also give it as a treat to the chicks. I agree with you about yogurt being good for them, too.

GG
ladybugsabound2
Novinger, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 24, 2008
3:31 AM

Post #5150607

Wow Granny, that's awful nice of you to deliver commodities...also nice they give you things they won't use. Great use of the oatmeal! My DD begs for oakmail as she calls it...every single morning for breakfast, so I don't have extras usually. Now, the chickens do love what she doesn't eat though!

Christy
granny_goody
Luther, MI
(Zone 4b)

June 24, 2008
3:46 AM

Post #5150670

One of the things we get quite a bit of is cannedmeat. Usually most people don't use the canned pork, and I have a stock of it. I think I am going to start giving it to the chicks this winter when thre is snow on the ground. It is cooked so all I have to do is break it up and give it to them as a treat.

GG
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

July 26, 2008
3:59 PM

Post #5322635

hoping this has helpful turkey info...
starlight1153
Seale, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 26, 2008
9:23 PM

Post #5323976

Sure does Tamara. Thanks for linking me over here. Wow didn't know turkeys could get so sick or so many things wrong with them. I'll be watching the neighbor's turkeys while they at work to kinda keep an eye out that nothign gets in the pen or they run out of water with the heat down here.

I'm writing the bits about milk and the type of food down for the neighbors. Just hope they do ok and nobody gets sick on my watch.

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2008
8:58 PM

Post #5359552

you are SUCH a good neighbor!
pumpkinfreak
Grants Pass, OR

August 13, 2008
3:41 PM

Post #5408621

Ladybug, at the time of the picture how old were they again? Are these turkeys outside, or still under heat lamps?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

August 14, 2008
5:36 AM

Post #5412025

hi PF, it was someone else, i think the thread is way down now, i'll bump it up if i see it...

btw, your turkeys look GREAT!

tf
pumpkinfreak
Grants Pass, OR

August 14, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5412819

Thank you TF

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America