Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: PawPaws, Anyone??: Could this work?

Communities > Forums > Article: PawPaws, Anyone??
bookmark
Forum: Article: PawPaws, Anyone??Replies: 1, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mamajan42
Corpus Christi, TX

June 23, 2008
2:07 PM

Post #5146590

I enjoyed this article..and I have considered the pawpaw for my own garden, here on the Gulf Coast of Texas. The main sticking point, (no pun intended) is that the fruit can be messy..and I can deal with that, but I'm worried about the amount of water this little tree will suck up. We are almost in drought conditions in this part of the coast. How often and how much would we need to get this tree going? Would it be better to do a spring planting, or wait to fall and cooler weather?
Sharran
Calvert City, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 23, 2008
6:01 PM

Post #5147739

Fall and cooler weather would be the best time to plant, I think. It will give it a cooler season to settle in, than if you were planting in the spring.
As for water??? If you have the least bit of a marsh area, maybe it would do well. I am not familiar with your climate, but would think with the moisture from the gulf, it might be fine.
I hope so.

I am in Alaska now, and will be returning home this week, please d mail me later in the week and remind me to check on its needs for you.
Thanks for your comments, and I do hope I can find something that might let us know if it would grow for you.
Sharon

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: PawPaws, Anyone?? Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Distribution map KyWoods 38 Jun 29, 2008 7:50 PM
Thanks! Now I really want to try these! critterologist 3 Jun 20, 2008 6:24 PM
Take a bow! Great article! darlindeb 1 Jun 20, 2008 3:24 AM
Pawpaw not papaya Islandshari 1 Jun 20, 2008 3:16 AM
Pawpaws along the James River gloriag 1 Jun 21, 2008 2:44 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America