Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Visitors Without Visas: Japanese Beetles: Great article.

Communities > Forums > Article: Visitors Without Visas: Japanese Beetles
bookmark
Forum: Article: Visitors Without Visas: Japanese BeetlesReplies: 13, Views: 122
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roseone33
Southern Mountains, GA
(Zone 6b)

June 24, 2008
12:03 PM

Post #5151417

Very informative. Seeing as I live east of the Mississippi and have been plagued with JB for decades, I might add that they are here in the southeast.
Parts of my property look very similar to your lawn photo, with the ground dug up from grub forgaing critters.

melody

melody
Benton, KY
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
12:58 PM

Post #5151629

They've arrived here too.

I've found that the only thing they won't eat is each other. everything else is on the menu!
grampapa
Wheatfield, NY
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2008
1:56 PM

Post #5151896

Good article, Toni. Thanks. Last year was our worst yet. I debated on the traps and think I will try them this year. I put down milky spore last year so will have to be patient on that. There is a drench product you can buy that will protect a plant for a full year (the beetles will die if they eat the leaves). I had a river birch that they were stripping and it worked very well. I don't like to use chemicals but it worked very well on that one tree. Overnight, the beetles disappeared from the tree. The tree is outside of the area where I applied the milky spore.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
2:41 PM

Post #5152105

Great article.
Unfortunately, the traps don't work for me. We have an acre of cultivated garden and 2 acres of wooded area. Last year, placed about 2 traps in the garden area. Couldn't understand why there were more.
Talked to the local nurseryperson and she said that they attracted JB within a radius of 5 miles.
MIL down the road was happy that she didn't see none in her yard. Of course they were having a feast here.
So..we threw them wayyyyyyyyy into the woods.
Will be using the cheesecloth method on the brugs. Since all my hybrid roses were devoured by them last year, I decided to grow brugs instead. Unfortunately... they've already selected "Temple Goddess" but have left the others alone, even the tomatoes.
Guess she's the sacrificial plant.
Seandor
Springfield, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 24, 2008
4:12 PM

Post #5152495

Oh, great! All the flowers that I love are a great big welcome sign to JBs! sigh . . . well, I am not above chemical warfare if it comes to that . . .
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

June 24, 2008
10:50 PM

Post #5154284

They have been in western PA for as far back as I can remember (mid '70s, maybe earlier). As kids, we would drown them in the birdbath. I'm not saying this was effective, just one of those weird things kids do.
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

June 26, 2008
2:47 AM

Post #5160485

It is important to place the bag traps correctly according to the wind pattern to draw the JBs 1st to the trap before they find the plants you want to protect. I live on 4 acres in the country with woods on one side & hayfield/meadow on 2 other sides. I put out 1 trap last year & was amazed at how well it stopped the damage. Granted it is necessary to change the nasty bag every day or 2 but if I am decreasing the overall population in my area that's better for my plants & hopefully the neighbor's, too. Not like the JBs are opposed to looking around the neighborhood for "greener pastures". LOL The fewer that are around to reproduce, the less likely they are to be a problem next year.
MissWisteria
Fayetteville, AR

July 25, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #5315730

Thanks for the very good article. I have resorted to twice daily collecting them in a coffee can half filled with soapy water. In the early morning and late afternoon when they are sluggish, I tap them into the soapy water and watch them drown. With great pleasure I might add. I am merely trying to reduce their numbers in my yard since beetles attract more beetles. I understand when they drop to the ground, they lay eggs, even when crushed which is what I started doing first (gloved of course). Someone told me they have a cycle of seven years in a given area. Is that correct? Their numbers have decreased in the five years they have been in my area (there were zillions at first) but not enough to prohibit them from skeletonizing my rose bushes and devouring the blooms from my crepe myrtles this year. They love all the plants that I love. I have grapes, crepes, roses, wisteria and japanese maples. We have had more rain than usual and I attribute their increase in numbers this year to the added moisture. After reading about the Four o'clocks I will try planting those. Keep fightin' the good fight'.
LoriLL
Grand Blanc, MI

July 25, 2008
2:10 PM

Post #5317487

When the bags are changed, do you put on a new bag or empty the filled one and hang it back up? I put up a trap three days ago and it is full. We have a small yard but putting the bag in a far corner seems to decrease the number of beetles on my plants.

Thanks for the info!

Lori
pamsaplantin
Morgantown, WV
(Zone 6a)

July 26, 2008
3:51 AM

Post #5320963

My traps came with 2 bags so I roll the top down on the one I remove & put up an empty one. Then I wait a day or so before dumping the full bag to be sure they are all dead. You wouldn't have to wait if you are sure they are already dead but I have always seen some moving around in there.
DesertRattess
Phelan, CA
(Zone 8b)

October 2, 2008
3:50 PM

Post #5625219

I haven't actually seen any JB this year but recently when I started preparing my garden for the fall growing season (I'm here in California), I noticed a TON of grubs in the soil. I probably picked out 20-30 in a very small area...4-5 square feet. They are in the soil right alongside eggplant, green peppers, etc., and don't seem to be doing them any harm. Does anyone know what I can do to get rid of them without harming the existing plants?
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

October 2, 2008
8:25 PM

Post #5626180

I have never tried this but it sounds like it is harmless to everything but grubs. http://www.gardensalive.com/product.asp?pn=5000

If the grubs are big, like half the size of your thumb, they are green fruit beetle. The grubs live in compost and are harmless. The adult beetles are green (obviously) and much bigger than Japanese beetles. I don't know what the adults eat but they haven't harmed anything in my yard. If the grubs are smaller, they might be cutworms. It's best to get rid of them. They'll kill seedlings. As far as I know, we don't have Japanese beetles in our area of CA. (Knock on wood!)
slyperso1
Richland, MI
(Zone 5b)

July 6, 2009
2:38 PM

Post #6784333

Here is my experience with traps.

Without doing anything the Japanese beetle will seriously damage my cherry tree and Japanese maple (but not kill them).

I decided to put traps, because itís less work than spraying, far less toxic, and target only Japanese beetles.

The first Summer I filled 4 bags with 3 traps, had the same amount of damage than any other years, but at least they did not have a free meal.

The second Summer I filled 2 bags, the amount of damage was also 40% less than a year before.

The third Summer I filled only 1 bag with again 40% less damage from the previous year.

In conclusion I will says that yes, your traps attract more beetles than normal, but many of them get trapped before they have a chance to lay their eggs, thus reducing the population a years later in the area affected by the traps.

So donít buy the traps for a quick fix, but if you do it consistently for 3 or more years you will see good result. It does not hurt if the neighbor pitches in too.
MissWisteria
Fayetteville, AR

July 23, 2009
7:26 PM

Post #6856123

I have had them in NW Arkansas for about 7 years. I have been on a campaign to eradicate them but have not resorted to chemicals. I found the bags attracted more beetles. I go out in the mornings when it is cool and the JB are very slow moving. I knock them in to a jar of soapy water and let them drown. I actually get a feeling of satisfaction watching them flounder. I have been so infuriated by them I have smashed them between my bare fingers. Anyway, I knock them off my roses, grape vines, crepe myrtles, wisteria and japanese maples. Of course, I cannot reach to the tops of trees but considering the numbers I collect in my jars, I know I have reduced the reproduction process to a considerable degree. This year, I am happy to report, I have maybe one quarter of what I have had in past years. I am in agreement with the man who posted about the bags. Whatever you do, it has to be consistent. Oh, and last year, I let the moles have their way with my lawn. That may contribute to their reduced numbers as well.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Visitors Without Visas: Japanese Beetles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Drench product for JBs? TNGardener2008 0 Jun 24, 2008 2:31 PM
Hydrangeas PuddlePirate 2 Aug 1, 2009 2:52 PM
Trapping Beetles....Sure wish more people were helping Indy 1 Jun 30, 2008 8:17 PM
Timely message! pamsaplantin 0 Jun 26, 2008 2:33 AM
4 O'Clocks kill Jap Beetles? Molamola 7 Oct 4, 2010 1:29 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America