Photo by Melody

Tiny Gardens: My first mini garden attempt!

Communities > Forums > Tiny Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Tiny GardensReplies: 15, Views: 499
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
RainGazer
Southeast, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
6:12 PM

Post #5153128

I know, it's not great, but it's the first one I've ever made and it didn't cost me a penny! ^_^ I only used things I already had here at home. It was good hands-on experience for me and I got to see how ideas in my head would look actually potted up. A much nicer one is already in the planning stages. LOL

I used plants I already had. I'm not much of a figurine collector, but I'll buy anything that has Eeyore on it, and the little "mini pond" just begged for him to sit there and stare into it. The tree trunk is from an aquarium we used to have. The Hoya curtisii is "climbing" it to hide it a bit. The stepping stones are scraps from a tile job my husband did that I threw down on the concrete patio to bust them in to little pieces. The pond is a candle holder. The pot is a large drain saucer from a big planter.

It's not fancy like all the ones with fairies and benches and whatnots, but I figure I made it for me, and Eeyore is my favorite of all the whimsical characters, so why not use him? ^_^

The plants are:

Begonia partitia
Ludisia discolor (Jewel Orchid)
Heart fern
Some unknown thing that I got along with a bunch of Begonias so it may be a Begonia, too
Streptocarpus kentaniensis
Petrocosmea rosettifolia
Sinningia 'Little Venus' (I think - forgot to mark the pot it was in)
Sinningia pusilla
Chirita tamiana (blooming)
Hoya curtisii
Sinningia 'Purple Crest' x self or 'Little Venus'
Begonia toledoana
Sinningia 'Rio das Pedras'
African Violet 'Indian Trail' (potted in a tiny pot, buried beneath the potting mix)

So, what do you think? ^_^ Be honest, I can take it! ;o)

Edited to add: In a few weeks, several more of the things will be blooming, so hopefully it will look better then. I need to get some moss to fill in the "path", too.

This message was edited Jun 24, 2008 2:13 PM

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pamgarden
Central, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 24, 2008
6:16 PM

Post #5153145

And you say this is your first attempt? It's adorable. What creative use of organic and inorganic materials. I'll bet you will be looking at every small item you see from now on, just trying to imagine how you can use it in another tiny garden. You'll have them lined up!
GrammysGardenAZ
Cochise, AZ
(Zone 8b)

June 24, 2008
6:19 PM

Post #5153158

I think this will be really cute soon. I think it looks good now. Not too crowded and it will fill in beautifully. Guess this shows us all that this doesn't have to be an expensive hobby.

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

June 24, 2008
6:20 PM

Post #5153163

Hi, Oh RainGazer
It is adorable! I've made a couple mini gardens as well.
Mine I actually called a Soil Cake for the gardner.
Was like a birthday cake for a garden friend.

Thumbnail by Seedtosser1

RainGazer
Southeast, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
6:30 PM

Post #5153204

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the kind compliments. I was kinda embarrassed to post it at first, but I feel better now! ^_^ I don't really have time to tend to outside gardens right now, and I grow tons of houseplants, so it was more my speed to make one for indoors. It was so much fun making this! I may have to go start another one! There's an aquarium castle I found that would be great for one of these. If only I had a larger container... An expensive hobby is something that I simply can't have right now, so I'll have to stick to what I already have or really inexpensive stuff. That's okay, though, just means I have to think a little harder. LOL

Seedtosser, I love that soil cake! It's just precious! It actually gives me an idea of how I might incorporate the castle into the next one. ;o)

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

June 24, 2008
6:41 PM

Post #5153256

I am so glad you like it RainGazer.

here is another one at a closer look.

As you, It was pretty much free. All the plants in both cakes were from my gardens.

Mostly groundcovers.
Sedum, Ajuga, periwinkle, chicks and hens...
And so much fun to watch.

I look forward to seeing your next creation!!

Thumbnail by Seedtosser1

RainGazer
Southeast, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
6:42 PM

Post #5153265

That is wonderful! I love how you made different levels of plants. Gives it much more depth! Mind if I borrow that idea? ^_^

Seedtosser1

Seedtosser1
Glenview, IL

June 24, 2008
6:45 PM

Post #5153273

Not at all, Be happy to share the ideas.

just remember to make holes in the bottoms of each plate...it helps to water down.
Mine are just clear water plates, very inexpensive.

Glad you like my cakes!
RainGazer
Southeast, TN
(Zone 7a)

June 24, 2008
6:50 PM

Post #5153305

Thanks, Seedtosser! That's what I love about the people here on DG. Everyone is so willing to share advice and ideas! ^_^

If I hurry, maybe I can get the laundry done, supper cooked, and still have time to make another one! LOL
seedpicker_TX
(Taylor) Plano, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 24, 2008
10:32 PM

Post #5154216

Raingazer-
Congratulations on your first mini garden! ;0)

I think it looks great, and Eyeore must be really happy.

Seedtosser-That soil cake is a great idea!!
-T
Kassia
Framingham, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 25, 2008
12:23 AM

Post #5154745

oh that's great... love those tiny gardens... have some going...no decorations yet but I started...
tetleytuna
Columbia, MO
(Zone 5b)

June 25, 2008
1:42 AM

Post #5155207

I just love it! Eeyore is just perfect staring into his little pond. It has great balance. If you twiddle your eyes a little bit the jewel orchid looks like the back end of a whale just as it is diving under the ocean.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2008
2:12 AM

Post #5155421

Eeyore is my favorite!!!!
Little_Squirt
Wayne, NE

December 29, 2008
3:36 AM

Post #5938214

Were did you find that eeyore?
kathy65468
Eunice, MO
(Zone 5b)

January 4, 2009
3:48 PM

Post #5964584

I am more proud of the things that I create by scrounging about and scavanging here and there than anything that I went out and spent money to have. It is truly a labor of love and it always shows. Those are the creations that get the most compliments, that is why I know the love shows thru. Keep up the great work and thank you for sharing.
Sallysblooms
South, TX

January 5, 2009
12:24 AM

Post #5966689

How is your garden doing now? Grown?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Tiny Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Miniature gardens delphiniumdiva 73 Jul 1, 2008 5:30 PM
Miniature Garden BassetMom 43 Jul 4, 2008 11:48 AM
Garden gnomes in their natural habitat. Pixydish 236 Mar 17, 2009 7:46 PM
Miniature Garden Marcy_1 37 Mar 21, 2010 7:42 PM
Faries Anyone AFDolly 22 Jul 25, 2007 2:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America