Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hypertufa and Concrete: Waterproofing a fountain basin

Communities > Forums > Hypertufa and Concrete
bookmark
Forum: Hypertufa and ConcreteReplies: 7, Views: 139
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 25, 2008
1:03 AM

Post #5154949

I have a basin constructed of cement block 24 inches square and 14 inches deep There has been an epdm liner in it but it has recently chosen to leak. I am in the midst of removing the drilled basalt column and poured in place concrete base. My question is of the most cost effective material to resurface/waterproof the interior. My thoughts run from Sani-tred to paint on stuff to tile, but never having done anything in this area I am at a loss. I would really appreciate some insight from experienced pond/fountain folks.
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2008
4:28 PM

Post #5168340

No answer for you?
I'm not sure if I have a good answer, did you try the pond/watergardening forums?

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2008
5:15 PM

Post #5168522

No I didn't Shella. I picked up some coating at Home Depot that is supposed to seal cement. It requires a tile covering though to protect it from abrasion. That is fine since I was going to tile the outside anyway and now the inside will match. Got the tile yesterday and will have the sealer on tomorrow (?) and maybe start tiling Monday.
Gourd
Mesilla Park, NM

June 27, 2008
5:53 PM

Post #5168687

there's a marine sealer that they use for boats, that should work, but I don't know where to purchase it, I think Lowes had it at one time.

balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 27, 2008
7:26 PM

Post #5169049

Thank you Gourd. The material I found at Home Depot is called Redguard, an elastomeric stuff from Custom Building Products in Seal Beach, Cal. It should be as good as any of the other similar sealants. I'll find out in a couple days.
shellabella
West Central, FL
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #5169091

Glad you soved your dilemma...fingers crossed for a "dry" run!
HoosierGreen
Danville, IN

June 29, 2008
1:48 AM

Post #5175397

Be careful what you choose to use if you plan to have fish or live plants in the basin. There is a product called 'Pond Shield' that is non-toxic, but quite pricey. It comes in clear or many colors. The website is www.pondarmor.com It's advertised as "a non-toxic epoxy sealer designed especially for koi ponds, water gardens, fountains, and waterfalls."
balvenie
Marysville, WA
(Zone 7a)

June 29, 2008
1:58 AM

Post #5175462

Thank you for the tip Hoosier. The basin is just for fountain water, nothing else. Good to know though, in case later some water plants find their way in.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America